IFTTT - Is anyone still using it?

I was intrigued when IFTTT first came out. Made a few things here and there, but over time, never really paid much more attention to them. Then, they decided to de-nut the whole "free" thing, at which time I deleted most of my stuff, and to be honest, I can't tell if the couple things I still have there are still working. I just don't see them as relevant to the real world at this point.

It always annoyed me that they had the "IF" part, but never the "ELSE" part. My programming background is in a strange language that uses "IF-THEN-ELSE", "WHEN", and "UNLESS" statements; the latter two are used when one only cares if something is true or something is not true, without an "ELSE." They should rename themselves "WHEN" instead of IFTTT. I guess what I'm saying is that not having a full logical set severely limits its use.

2 Likes

I used IFTTT's Alexa integration for years (to enable voice triggers to create log entries in Google docs ) - now that integration has been shut down and I'm looking to formulate a workaround in Hubitat. The handy IFTTT action I relied on was to be able to write time-stamped text into a Google doc, IDK what other services would have this hook already built-in.

I use this method involving a google script, obviously the discussion is around using within webCore but its just a get request one the google script is in place. Could probably use RM as well.

1 Like

I haven't given up on IFTTT completely, but my planned workaround - using Alexa to press a Hubitat Virtual Button to trigger an IFTTT action that writes to my Google Doc - seems to have hit a roadblock. Unless I'm missing something, IFTTT does not appear to recognize a button press, even though I'm able to expose the virtual button in Hubitat's IFTTT integration app. :rage: The closest I can get is a switch closure...so I guess if I really had to I could kludge up a virtual momentary switch that turns itself off in RM after an appropriate delay...

Hubitat’s built-in Virtual Switch driver includes an Auto-Off setting. :wink::sunglasses:

2 Likes

IFTTT was over priced when it was free. Definitely not worth the subscription price.

3 Likes

1 Like

Hubitat’s built-in Virtual Switch driver includes an Auto-Off setting. :wink::sunglasses:

Hadn't gotten that far yet - thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

Back in the earlier days of using my Wyze cameras, I used IFTTT routines to trigger voice notifications for person/package detection on our cameras.

Now it's built in to the Wyze skill if you have some level of Cam Plus subscription.
It's slow to respond since it's cloud based; it'll do for now...if only Eufy cams had Starlight sensors...

Used to for Ring integration. But those now only work with premium, so am using Alexa routines instead with momentary switches.