I think the patch notes revealed 2 new Zooz products before they could announce them

The only way I could imagine this working is if they have an accelerometer chip in them. I still have the waterproof cases I bought for the ZSE41 (which are supposed to fit the ZSE43 as well) so hopefully, I can mount them outside.

1 Like

Yes, we tested the sensor for both vertical and horizontal tilt movement and it works great!

You can definitely use the same outdoor case for the ZSE43 model as for the ZSE41, they're the same size. The only device in the series that's a little larger is the ZSE44 Temp Humidity sensor because of the larger battery used. It has its own dedicated bracket for outdoor mounting.

3 Likes

ZSE44 arrived earlier today and I did a quick install - so far, so good... No crazy log spams at least!

I set the options available via the stock HE driver before I dove into the ZW Basic Tool, and it seems like some of the stock driver settings didn't stick... Or maybe the Parameters didn't stick when I set them via the BZWT. But I'm not smart enough to diagnose if that's a firmware thing or a driver thing, so I'll just see how it plays out over the next few days.

For instance, I don't need any temp stuff, so I set the temp-differential param (available as a stock driver option and as Param 3) to "10" (highest differential available), and I disabled the periodic temp reports (both using stock driver option and as Param 16), but I'm still getting regular temp reports in the logs.

But I'll give it all ~48 hours to settle in and then I'll more carefully verify all of the Parameter settings again using Basic Z-Wave Tool -- it's possible that I whiffed on something this morning since I was admittedly distracted by work stuff as I was playing around.

Ehhhh, not quite. Now that I have received my ZSE43s, I don't see how you can mount this on a swinging gate and have it detect open or closed. Open/close detection relies on having a specific position of the sensor to define the states. The sensor when completely vertical is defined as closed, and lying it down (rotating around the X-axis) makes it indicate open. Rotating it right or left (rotating around the Z-axis) will also make it read open. However, spinning it, as a door opening would if it was mounted flat on the back (around the Y-axis) does not yield any state change. Why? Because there is no way to baseline a state that is closed based on the position of the sensor around its Y-axis. I strongly suspected this when I looked at the driver in advance of the sensors arriving, and I see that my fears were correct. This sensor is not suitable for swinging doors or gates, only overhead doors or objects which rotate right or left from vertical (none of which I can think of offhand). I'll use these as window shock sensors instead.

@agnes.zooz would the zse43 shock sensor pick up vibration from a casement window being forced open? The window is hinged at the top, and the bottom edge opens out away from the house interior.

Looking further it looks like this should work...

A spinning movement like that is not a tilt. Sorry if my replies or the description weren't clear - both tilting movements are also described and illustrated in the manual for clarity. I'd recommend using a regular open/close sensor with a magnet for swinging doors instead.

The vibration detector is pretty sensitive but it would all depend exactly on how much force is applied and how the surface reacts to it.

1 Like

Well that's disappointing, but I still have hope. Can the ZSE41 Open/Close sensor be used outdoors on a fence gate?

So I've been looking at the ZSE44 in detail today, and I think there EDIT: may be are some definite firmware problems with it.

It reports battery/temp/humidity updates every 7s sometimes - even though the thresholds for none of the values were tripped.

I have:

• Param 1 - battery report threshold at 10 (max)
  • Param 3 - temperature report threshold at 100 (max)
  • Param 4 - humidity threshold at 5 (not the max, but not especially low)

I see battery/temp/humidity updates every 7s - and none of the 3 values are changing above the reporting threshold.

Ticket submitted to zooz support.

EDIT: Now it settled down... So maybe it is just a transient issue. I'll keep watching it.

But for others - this is what I was seeing when it was going nutty. Temp updates every 7s, regardless of change/delta:

1 Like

That's a familiar number.... Lol. I've got 4 of these arriving soon.

1 Like

I think (hope!) you'll find it settles down after a couple days -- in the manual, they talk about a 48-hour settle-in period, and that seems about right... Overall, my logs have since chilled out and are reporting more sensible #s now.

But I still see occasional bursts of temp reporting that don't seem to follow any rhyme or reason (I've tried to minimize all temp reporting), but at least nothing is flooding my logs or reporting complete nonsense. So I'm optimistic it'll all get better sorted out betw/ firmware or driver updates.

Since it stopped the high frequency nonsense, it has been working ok the last 12 hours. I am going to watch it for a few weeks before replacing my zigbee temp/humidity sensors anyway, so we'll see.

1 Like

Yep, that's exactly my plan too.

It did the right thing (on Humidity) during the morning shower, though - which is good. I have humidity reporting set at 2%.

1 Like

Side question: How are you making these graphs?

Yes, you just need the outdoor case for it since the sensor isn't weatherproof.

1 Like

That graph is from home assistant.

But I have similar graphs for hubitat sensors in influxdb/grafana too (hubitat --> node-red --> influxdb).

I got my 4 ZSE44 sensor today and included them all on my hub. I've got all 4 right next to each other, and they are very consistent about what they think the temperature is. The problem though, is that temperature is almost exactly 10 degrees to cold. I know there is a temperature offset in the driver, but it only ranges from -10 to +10, which is right at the edge of what I need. It just seems really weird to me that they would be off by so much.

Here is my temperature dashboard. You can disregard the laundry room and garage for this (they are not included in the average). It is definitely not 67 degrees in my house.

I'm curious if there will be a similar trend for humidity, but I haven't made a humidity dashboard so I'll have to figure that out later. Another interesting note, is that I'm pretty sure the sensor I have named A1 was a return or refurbished unit because after I included it to my hub, most of the parameters were not at their default setting. One of those was the temp offset. It was set to +10. My suspicion is that someone returned it because of the high inaccuracy of the temperature.

1 Like

Well I was curious so I made a humidity dashboard real quick. I'd say this is not as straight forward.

For this one, the home average is not using the bathroom, laundry room, or garage, and the master bedroom only has temps being reported. So it does have less data points to go off.

For a data point not on this dashboard, my AC thermostat, which is maybe 4 feet away from where I currently have my 4 ZSE44s, currently shows 69% indoor humidity. So I'd say at least A2 - A4 are acceptable. But yet, once again, A1 is showing a value far off from what everything else in the house is reporting.

1 Like

And now one of the sensors has completely died on me (the one I named A4). Not responding to manual wake ups by pressing the zwave button. I put in a new battery just to make sure and it was still unresponsive. I'll be contacting Zooz support tomorrow.

I got a hygrometer to verify my Konke sensors readings... works great and is fairly inexpensive - has gotten great reviews. There are cheaper ones as well but this unit has been fairly well reviewed.

1 Like