I need Z-wave help!

This is the result of the stat collection...

Device Stats enabled: true
Device stats start time: 1604077449413
Device stats total run time: 316452
device id 34 runcount 4 total runtime 186 average run time 46.5
device id 49 runcount 1 total runtime 18 average run time 18
App Stats enabled: true
App stats start time: 1604077449424
App stats total run time: 316447
app id 1 runcount 58 total runtime 3467 average run time 59.7758620690
app id 3 runcount 5 total runtime 189 average run time 37.8
app id 322 runcount 6 total runtime 185 average run time 30.8333333333
app id 13 runcount 2 total runtime 44 average run time 22
app id 43 runcount 1 total runtime 480 average run time 480

I get what you guys are saying and I could start replacing them with Zwave plus devices... my only thought is that this had all been working for a year before this weird power outage a couple of weeks ago...

Nothing seems out of the ordinary here. May need to take a longer sample or resample later on when you're having issues.

1 Like

The power outage length messed up the routing tables... It will take time for them to recover. Repairs on the non plus devices will help those devices. The plus devices will repair their routes on their own. With the C5 I don't think you can do targeted repairs so just let it sit without repairing anymore.

1 Like

Ok, I can take a longer sample a little later. Would it help for me to upgrade to the C7? Do you think I should try to start replacing non plus devices?

That would be the first thing on my priority list... Especially with black Friday just around the corner. Could probably pickup some sweet deals. The C7 has some specific advantages over the C5 in regards to zwave details that make troubleshooting much easier but it's really up to you. The devices I would upgrade regardless.

I can certainly start getting newer devices. You also feel there is enough benefit to justify upgrading to the C7?

Really depends on your situation. Could you use a second hub? Do you have adequate coverage? Do you have a remote spot that would benefit from a closer second hub? I use my second hub to test out new stuff before I roll it out to the production hub just so I don't piss off the wife with my tinkering. I also use it to help troubleshoot other peoples problems.

In my opinion I would not really need a second hub. My existing hub is in a good central location and I haven't had any issues for a long time (until now).

Have you tried to restore a backup? Maybe some sort of database issue but didn't look like it from the logs.

My personal opinion would be to replace the zwave devices with plus ones and give the mesh time to heal. Take stats over the next few days and see if anything stands out. Also a UZB or Z-Stick would also be helpful.

2 Likes

I have not tried a restore. I do have a backup from August I could use. I may look at doing that.

I certainly appreciate all your time and help.

Np, just shoot me a message if you get stuck.

Also look into getting a whole home surge suppressor. They're really cheap and for the protection they provide are very much worth it. It probably wont protect you against a direct lightning strike but should save you from a blown transformer or distant lightning spike.

3 Likes

Yesterday I excluded my GoControls garage controller because it was throwing so many errors in the log. Immediately I noticed everything was much more responsive and it seemed my problems went away. My system ran the rest of the day yesterday without any issues or weird errors in the log. Well this morning my upstairs Honeywell T6 Pro wasn't responding. I checked the log and it was showing the same errors it had shown earlier yesterday. I ended up excluding that thermostat this afternoon and re-enrolling it. I'e had all kinds of issues ever since. My downstairs T6 has always used the Generic Z-Wave Thermostat driver but when I enrolled the upstairs T6 it was recognized and used the Honeywell T6 Pro driver. I could not get it to respond from the app. When I looked at the log file it was registering errors (like 10 per second). I excluded it and tried again... same issue. This time I changed the driver to the generic z-wave thermostat driver. Now it's responding properly. The problem is that the log file is filling up quickly with a line that says,

" 2020-10-31 12:28:32.184 pm infoThermostat - Upstairs temperature is 66°F".

It is logging this exact message 8-15 times per second and I cannot get it to stop. The upstairs and downstairs thermostats are exactly the same, using the same driver and same settings. Downstairs has never given me an issue. Any further ideas?

that means you have mesh issues and it is repeating messages . what kinds of devices and repeaters do you have around it. or on route to the hub

Well, this thermostat is closer to the hub than any other device... but it was excluded and re-enrolled. Not sure if that has something to do with it. The only other Z-wave devices I have currently are GE light switches.

between the issue your having with multiple devices it sounds like your zwave mesh is a little weak..

It had been running for over a year with no issues whatsoever. Problem is that I had a lengthy power outage a week or two ago. When everything came back on it was pretty jacked up. Should I maybe try to run a Z-wave fix?

Are all devices working. And reporting status power surges can fry devices especially in hard wired switches. Sometimes the switch works but the radio is more sensitive and gets fried. I had 3 go out at once onetime. Just the radios.

1 Like