I Need Advice On Weather Stations

Happy New Year.

2 Likes

I learned from responsive (within minutes) Ecowitt support that the BU refers to the frequency and this is good for the US, (and Britain?). C is for China, I believe.

I think I hate you people... :wink:
I took down my Davis weather station over 5 years ago, and was very happy.
Then I read this thread, and now I have a new Ecowitt Wittboy that I just connected to my network. It is not mounted yet, but it is working and attached to my local network.
So here is my concern. I would like to send my weather data to 3 locations. 1) my HE. 2) Weather Underground. 3) My old/existing CWOP account. I thought I would use the Ecowitt software to send the data to the HE. I figured I would use my old Weather Display software to send the data to WU and CWOP. But I am not sure how to send data to both the HE and Weather Display!!! I have not actually tried yet. But my concern is that the Ecowitt software will only send the data to one custom location. So how do I also get the data to the Weather Display software????
Have Ecowitt send the data to Weather Display (which will forward it WU and CWOP), and then use WU API to suck it back to the HE? Or can Weather Display somehow "suck" it from the Ecowitt? My priorities are: 1 ) CWOP. 2) HE. 3) WU.

When you look at the Weather Services section in the WS View App, my understanding would be that each of the screens you move through for different services can all have data being sent to them at the same time. So I have mine being recorded on the EcoWitt web site so I can view them in their dashboard, plus being sent to HE configured in the customized weather service section.

There is a section there for Weather Underground, so I would expect you could cover off WU and HE natively within the WS View App.

As far as CWOP, is that the same as Weather Observation? Another of the services shown in the WS View App?

If not, I too would like to send the data to two custom endpoints, but have not spend the time investigating this. My assumption would be that it should be as simple as forwarding the data on in the same EcoWitt format. However my requirement is Home Assistant, but if it is a web-hosted platform, there may be some additional work required for security and other interaction with the web site.

Or just hook up two ws1100s

1 Like

Dig a hole, 18" down 12" or wider. pour in some old rocks or throw some broken beicks or what have you in the bottom. Get 2" pvc and put it in the middle of the hole.. (use a $3.00 post level to check plumb). Put in a bag or 2 of Quickcrete Fast setting concrete (do this dry). Check your plumb on the PVC (it will be stiffer since it's in the concrete). Using a hose spray in a gallon or so of water. It will generally set in about 45 mins but really give it 24 hours.

Fill in top of concrete with dirt/grass. Cut off PVC about 3-4" above ground level.

Mount weather station to one of a 1-1/2" x 10' piece of galvanized pipe (painting optional). Take pipe slide it into pvc pipe. Will be a perfect fit.

Enjoy weather data.

Here is a shot of one of my posts. It doesn't sway that I've noticed. It doesn't have my Weatherflow on it but it would fit fine. You can just lift the post out when maintenance is needed.

3 Likes

Or.... :slight_smile:

But seriously, get something in the ground or on a fixture... don't get fixated on a mounting location.... i,e, I am not completely "giving the finger" to @rlithgow1 ' suggestions....

2 Likes

I didn't know there was such a thing. Years ago, I dug a couple of holes with a post hole digger for the treated posts for my farm gate, now operated electrically. I was extremely lucky I was able to snake some rocks out of the holes as I dug. There are rocks galore around here. I think I used a regular level.

On a side note the post with the operator on it seems to turn in the hole, so I wonder if there might not be a replacement needed in the near future. Hopefully it won't fail catastrophically, because that's the pole I'm mounting the weather sensor on.

There are other factors for locating the array in my case, some I've noted:

Aesthetics, e.g., I'm not allowed to replace the existing kinetic sculpture with a "smart sculpture".
Slope behind house
Lawn mowing
Leach field in back yard
Surrounded by trees
Old age
Ladder adverse
Snow and snow blower

Anyway, now that sensor reception seems to be verified to be adequate, the road looks like the place to be.

Well, I've got the thing up and running on wifi, still with only the interior temp pressure and humidity and battery voltage, along with one extra interior temp/humidity sensor.

Ecowitt says there will be no problem with having two consoles, running on the web in one account. I think they are called 'weather stations' in the app, and it's obvious you can add more than one. So I went ahead and did it.

I haven't tried integrating with Hubitat...yet.

Is the advantage of the Ecowitt hub that it plugs directly into the router, vs using local wifi?

As i said i would mount a pole of some type to a fence so it sticks up over the top in a relatively open area. Easy to access.
I have done that in 3 of my 5 locations. The Other two are just the temp sensors and no stations.

3 Likes

No it still uses wifi... but the advantage is it bypasses the cloud. If you dont need a hubitat dashboard or rules based on readings or battery monitoring there is really no reason for it.

1 Like

Oh. I was thinking the Ecowitt hub would be similar to the C8, where you would have two options to hook up to the web: ethernet, or wifi.

I was under the impression that the consoles, which only do wifi, would be able to work locally, without access to the cloud, kind of like the Kasa plugs.

I guess I'll see as I delve into it further. :slight_smile:

Yes, you can handle all of that on that console (and i believe that cheaper on you were looking at as well. Not just any combination up to 8. that why I like Ecowitt. There is a wide range of possibilities to look into and rabbit holes to go down!

1 Like

That sounds suspiciously like it was planned...

whoa!! Thats WAY too much physical labor....

Thats what we did, then two years later planted a Tree that has grown crazy since we planted it. Now I need to move the weather station. But that project is on hold until an (un)planned accident similar to @snell happen shortly after a new weather station arrives at my front door!

2 Likes

Auger... Takes 5 mins,..,

1 Like

Since I had two other stations at the time it was no big loss, but I hate to waste stuff that is still working.

The sad thing is... I am not that big into weather stuff. But I have written multiple drivers now for stations and services. At most I check a display about the temperature but even that is more often when my wife or kids ask me to.

1 Like

You've never dug holes in nh .. granite up ths @ss or upper mich with all the glacier runoff.

1 Like

We have solid Pennsylvania clay and red dog. Like digging through asphalt (because it's a mix of asphalt and coke)

1 Like

Yep, when the engineers leave with copies of all the plans and schematics and start a competing company next door, I’ve seen that happen to several of my clients. To add insult to injury, the employees in the new Chinese company file a duplicate copy in China of the U.S. patent I got for my clients, pay off some Chinese officials, get an identical Chinese patent (even though they didn’t invent the product), and sue my clients to shut down the legitimate manufacture and sale in China. Disgusting.

2 Likes

We are not either, but I hate when my irrigation is running in the rain. Tempest integrates well with Rachio. Having hyperlocal weather data for the irrigation is what got me into weather stations. Tempest has been great.

2 Likes