I Need Advice On Weather Stations

Well... I got my new Ecowitt Wittboy hooked up.

It is now sending data to my Hubitat via the Custom option on the Wittboy. Thank you folks that are supporting the HE driver. :grinning:

The station is also sending data to Weather Display software that is running on a PC in my home. I don't know how it works; some kind of broadcast (?) from the Wittboy. But without asking the Wittboy to do anything, the Weather Display software has an option to grab data from the IP address of my Wittboy. It (magically) receives data from the Wittboy every 16 seconds. From there, Weather Display is able to do almost anything with the data. Weather Display is now sending my data to Wunderground and to CWOP.

FYI: CWOP is the National Weather Service (NWS) process for inputing citizen weather data to the U.S. Governments weather system. From CWOP, it goes to MADIS, and from there, it is used by NWS to predict weather and provide data to (most) TV weather meteorlogists. The thing I like about MADIS is that is performs a statistical analysis of your weather station data, and provides a graphical analysis of how your stations data differs from the average. From that analysis, you can "adjust" your stations data to be more accurate. So if your weather station is mounted too low to the ground to properly measure wind (like most people), or your temperature sensor is mounted too high to properly measure temperature and rain, you can adjust it.

5 Likes

My "satellite" console is now sending data to Hubitat as well.

Kudos to @sburke781 for all his work on the driver.

Hopefully I'll be able to master, (Ha), the tile design portion of it tomorrow.

The latest I heard, my WS69 had left the Dongguan sorting facility on 4/26. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does one put his exact location in the settings when sharing weather data?

WeeWX?

WeeWX only runs on Unix which requires that I put up a Raspberry Pi to host it. Running Weather Display on my existing PC is a simpler solution.

Way cool:

1 Like

I'm sitting here on the sofa with the display on the coffee table, watching the colorful display on the little console. We're getting some showers coming this way, and I'm watching the second decimal point value for pressure. I can't imagine how entertained I'll be when I'll be able to watch the wind speed and direction, never mind the rainfall. And the display that comes with the array will be even larger! And then there's the web graphs! Endless hours of amusement.

edit:
And this is what happens when you take out the console's batteries.
On a side note, it'd be nice if the little display would turn off in a programmed way like the larger one. The display does turn off when on battery power alone, but the batteries only last a total of 2 days-they're for backup only. Now, if I put a smart plug on the power plug, and a battery replacement pack, perhaps I could achieve the same thing. Or burn it up. One or the other.

Hmm. When looking at the HE Device values for my Ecowitt Wittboy, the battery says "0". How come yours shows a battery level? Or rather, how come mine shows "0"?

Do you have batteries in there and are they in the proper orientation? :slight_smile:

Yes. And the Wittboy software shows a full battery icon.

The HE Devices screen shows:

Current States

• battery : 0
  • batteryIcon : 100
  • batteryOrg : 3.28

Now, I know next to nothing, but I recalled reading something about battery in the device thread.
I just did a search on 'battery' on that thread and came up with this:

So, do you have a version of the driver later than 2/5/23?

I think you'd stand a better chance of getting someone's attention on that thread.

1 Like

Is the only difference between the Ecowitt GW2000 and the GW1100 gateways the Ethernet port?

I installed everything; the Ecowitt software and the HE Ecowitt driver package (via HPM) just a few days ago. What thread are you referring to?

I was cruising the Ecowitt weather map last night.

Now, there aren't a gigantic number of these things deployed on the web near me, but it sure seems to me that a fair number of the units with soil sensors are associated with pot plants.

Some even have an Ecowitt camera on them with daily time lapse photos.

Interesting.

1 Like

I wanna say it was a topic of discussion 3 to 6 months ago.

Here is the link to the first post in the thhead talking about it [RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local) - #436 by tomobiki.mn

1 Like

Hey, my weather station cleared customs in NY! :slight_smile:

I also just ordered some other stuff directly from Ecowitt. It was a savings over Amazon. I ordered a camera, lightning sensor, soil sensor, and rain sensor debris screen. No hurry, lol.

3 Likes

Yeah, gotta say for shipping from China, they ship pretty fast. i ordered some sensors from Sonoff last year, and it was close to two months to get them.

1 Like

Well, I got the weather station in the mail. Just fooling around with it so far on the tabletop.

You know, I hate to admit it, but I think I like the smaller display better. It's less cluttered with crap, and more simple. Maybe I'll get used to it. It does have more capability.

Another thing I like about the little display: it has a built in battery backup that's supposed to be good for 48 hours. I disconnected the power, and it does seem to keep the wifi interface going, while the screen goes dark except for coming on periodically.

The big one does not have a battery backup. Hence, I suppose the reason they have Talent Cell battery backup units on their website now.

I discontinued reporting from the little one while I am experimenting. When I put batteries in the sensor array, they were picked up immediately by the small console. When I plugged in the big console, all the sensors also were picked up. Even the time is correct, although I did not hook it up to WIFI.

Both consoles seem to have the same capabilities, gateway wise.

Now I have to slightly trim a couple trees, relocate the flag's bracket, put up the plastic pipe, and attach and level the sensor array

3 Likes