I Need Advice On Weather Stations

Now, I know next to nothing, but I recalled reading something about battery in the device thread.
I just did a search on 'battery' on that thread and came up with this:

So, do you have a version of the driver later than 2/5/23?

I think you'd stand a better chance of getting someone's attention on that thread.

1 Like

Is the only difference between the Ecowitt GW2000 and the GW1100 gateways the Ethernet port?

I installed everything; the Ecowitt software and the HE Ecowitt driver package (via HPM) just a few days ago. What thread are you referring to?

I was cruising the Ecowitt weather map last night.

Now, there aren't a gigantic number of these things deployed on the web near me, but it sure seems to me that a fair number of the units with soil sensors are associated with pot plants.

Some even have an Ecowitt camera on them with daily time lapse photos.

Interesting.

1 Like

I wanna say it was a topic of discussion 3 to 6 months ago.

Here is the link to the first post in the thhead talking about it [RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local) - #436 by tomobiki.mn

1 Like

Hey, my weather station cleared customs in NY! :slight_smile:

I also just ordered some other stuff directly from Ecowitt. It was a savings over Amazon. I ordered a camera, lightning sensor, soil sensor, and rain sensor debris screen. No hurry, lol.

3 Likes

Yeah, gotta say for shipping from China, they ship pretty fast. i ordered some sensors from Sonoff last year, and it was close to two months to get them.

1 Like

Well, I got the weather station in the mail. Just fooling around with it so far on the tabletop.

You know, I hate to admit it, but I think I like the smaller display better. It's less cluttered with crap, and more simple. Maybe I'll get used to it. It does have more capability.

Another thing I like about the little display: it has a built in battery backup that's supposed to be good for 48 hours. I disconnected the power, and it does seem to keep the wifi interface going, while the screen goes dark except for coming on periodically.

The big one does not have a battery backup. Hence, I suppose the reason they have Talent Cell battery backup units on their website now.

I discontinued reporting from the little one while I am experimenting. When I put batteries in the sensor array, they were picked up immediately by the small console. When I plugged in the big console, all the sensors also were picked up. Even the time is correct, although I did not hook it up to WIFI.

Both consoles seem to have the same capabilities, gateway wise.

Now I have to slightly trim a couple trees, relocate the flag's bracket, put up the plastic pipe, and attach and level the sensor array

3 Likes

These worked for me and are quite cost-effective. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M64ISDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

For sure! Thanks for that link. I've paid upwards of $40 for Stevenson screens to put sensors in. Compared to that $10.79 is a steal!

1 Like

do you happen to know if the functionality is dependent on it having internet access or a cloud account?

everything i use so far does not require any cloud access or accounts. its all local network only.

I don't believe it (ecowitt) requires the cloud connection based on the setup steps. But I can't guarantee that as I never specifically tested it without the cloud connection being present.

Ecowitt weather stations donā€™t need a cloud connection unless you intend to upload data to ecowitt.net, or to download firmware updates.

I canā€™t speak to the weatherflow tempestā€™s cloud needs though.

1 Like

Definitely cloud dependent. Even though a substantial portion of data can be accessed locally using an MQTT broker. But accessing any interpretative data is cloud dependent.

1 Like

Even then. Your data isnā€™t routing through the cloud to your hub is still local with a data stream to the cloud for Ecowitt.net from the hub after it receives the data from your devices. Ecowitt.net is not required to use ecowitt devices.

1 Like

Iā€™m not worried about what talks to the hub. I dont want any dependencies on the cloud to be able to use the product. I block all outbound traffic on the iot network and only open up specific rules for updates when needed. I had some smart plugs that would not operate unless they could communicate with the cloud. I was also using a power monitoring device that required the cloud. As of now the only thing that needs access is the HomePods and Apple TVā€™s and those are on their own subnet.

Things i avoid:
Devices that require cloud account to activate
Devices that require internet access to function
Devices that require an app to function

You can use Ecowitt without any cloud dependencies. You will need the app to set it up and add devices, and the app does make it easier in some regards, but once set up you could do it just with a console (local connection). As for viewing the data, use a console or set up a dashboard.

Nope. The ecowitt gateway has a built in web server that can be used to onboard all ecowitt sensors ā€¦.

2 Likes