I Need Advice On Weather Stations

Do you have batteries in there and are they in the proper orientation? :slight_smile:

Yes. And the Wittboy software shows a full battery icon.

The HE Devices screen shows:

Current States

• battery : 0
  • batteryIcon : 100
  • batteryOrg : 3.28

Now, I know next to nothing, but I recalled reading something about battery in the device thread.
I just did a search on 'battery' on that thread and came up with this:

So, do you have a version of the driver later than 2/5/23?

I think you'd stand a better chance of getting someone's attention on that thread.

1 Like

Is the only difference between the Ecowitt GW2000 and the GW1100 gateways the Ethernet port?

I installed everything; the Ecowitt software and the HE Ecowitt driver package (via HPM) just a few days ago. What thread are you referring to?

I was cruising the Ecowitt weather map last night.

Now, there aren't a gigantic number of these things deployed on the web near me, but it sure seems to me that a fair number of the units with soil sensors are associated with pot plants.

Some even have an Ecowitt camera on them with daily time lapse photos.

Interesting.

1 Like

I wanna say it was a topic of discussion 3 to 6 months ago.

Here is the link to the first post in the thhead talking about it [RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local) - #436 by tomobiki.mn

1 Like

Hey, my weather station cleared customs in NY! :slight_smile:

I also just ordered some other stuff directly from Ecowitt. It was a savings over Amazon. I ordered a camera, lightning sensor, soil sensor, and rain sensor debris screen. No hurry, lol.

3 Likes

Yeah, gotta say for shipping from China, they ship pretty fast. i ordered some sensors from Sonoff last year, and it was close to two months to get them.

1 Like

Well, I got the weather station in the mail. Just fooling around with it so far on the tabletop.

You know, I hate to admit it, but I think I like the smaller display better. It's less cluttered with crap, and more simple. Maybe I'll get used to it. It does have more capability.

Another thing I like about the little display: it has a built in battery backup that's supposed to be good for 48 hours. I disconnected the power, and it does seem to keep the wifi interface going, while the screen goes dark except for coming on periodically.

The big one does not have a battery backup. Hence, I suppose the reason they have Talent Cell battery backup units on their website now.

I discontinued reporting from the little one while I am experimenting. When I put batteries in the sensor array, they were picked up immediately by the small console. When I plugged in the big console, all the sensors also were picked up. Even the time is correct, although I did not hook it up to WIFI.

Both consoles seem to have the same capabilities, gateway wise.

Now I have to slightly trim a couple trees, relocate the flag's bracket, put up the plastic pipe, and attach and level the sensor array

3 Likes

These worked for me and are quite cost-effective. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M64ISDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

For sure! Thanks for that link. I've paid upwards of $40 for Stevenson screens to put sensors in. Compared to that $10.79 is a steal!

1 Like

do you happen to know if the functionality is dependent on it having internet access or a cloud account?

everything i use so far does not require any cloud access or accounts. its all local network only.

I don't believe it (ecowitt) requires the cloud connection based on the setup steps. But I can't guarantee that as I never specifically tested it without the cloud connection being present.

Ecowitt weather stations donā€™t need a cloud connection unless you intend to upload data to ecowitt.net, or to download firmware updates.

I canā€™t speak to the weatherflow tempestā€™s cloud needs though.

1 Like

Definitely cloud dependent. Even though a substantial portion of data can be accessed locally using an MQTT broker. But accessing any interpretative data is cloud dependent.

1 Like

Even then. Your data isnā€™t routing through the cloud to your hub is still local with a data stream to the cloud for Ecowitt.net from the hub after it receives the data from your devices. Ecowitt.net is not required to use ecowitt devices.

1 Like

Iā€™m not worried about what talks to the hub. I dont want any dependencies on the cloud to be able to use the product. I block all outbound traffic on the iot network and only open up specific rules for updates when needed. I had some smart plugs that would not operate unless they could communicate with the cloud. I was also using a power monitoring device that required the cloud. As of now the only thing that needs access is the HomePods and Apple TVā€™s and those are on their own subnet.

Things i avoid:
Devices that require cloud account to activate
Devices that require internet access to function
Devices that require an app to function