I am desperate for ideas

Yeah, but my experience is that you have to translate the question to her way of thinking, so to speak... No judging, but her way of thinking is in a whole different world (with our cleaning lady at least). So instead of asking what would you have me automate to make your work easier (because she blanked at that question), I had to ask to do exactly what I did to myself, let her tell her about how a typical hour of work looks like in detail... Or you can follow her around and make notes, but she might not like that :wink:

1 Like

Mine loves technology. No kid gloves for her. I can think of a few things right out of the gate that will help her and me. When she cleans around my phone chargers, I'm sure she has the lights blinking because my chargers have a pressure switch that changes modes when 1 or 2 phones are docked. Probably got poltergeist lights flickering going on. Ha (That just dawned on me) My bad! I'll have to text her. You've given me a lot to think about. And a lot of new rules to write.

1 Like

Your welcome. I'm curious what you'll come up with!

1 Like

I will definitely check it out!

I will definitely post back here.

Yes. Just a frame mounted around it with a 6" gap from the flag. Make it a kind of 3-d look. I already have some lightify strips from another project that I hated, so I'll be using those. I'm making a trip to Menards tonight.

What about an air quality sensor with purifiers...?

Didn’t hear about any outdoor lighting automations. Have that? What about door announcements? So much more possible now with the latest update and Alexa routines accepting input triggers from HE. Opens up devices that aren’t currently supported by HE. Much like we’ve been doing with Google Assistant Relay, but without the need for a separate Node.js server. TTS in Alexa’s voice is now dead simple. No need for any of the hoops we had to jump through before.

Failing all this, learn to code and start a smart home business. That Is what Bruce and Chuck did.

Consider preventing your HVAC from running if any doors or windows are open.

OK so you want a challenge ? Ultimate decadence ..

A ‘run me a bath’ button. - maybe separate buttons for each family members preference.

This is not an easy automation but I use mine a lot and is the one most visitors remember. It takes a lot of physical bits and work to get this working. Plus there are a lot of enhancements like keep it at required temperature.

K

err.. maybe I should have taken more notice of your name. In the UK we have an expression ‘April showers’ in which case this is of no interest !

5 Likes

Pop up window on TV is another one people like. Front door or security cam activation or incoming telephone caller name / CID. Reminders or text messages a possibility too.

K

Sorry , one more people comment on.

My external motion activated floodlights are not on/off but dimmed. They ramp up over 4s and dim over 30s. I initially did this because I was not catching intruders faces as they turned away when the floods came on before the camera recorded and the cameras were also momentarily blinded by the bright light, but it’s a nice welcome so kept it. It also doesn’t annoy the neighbours as much with the false alarms overnight. Having to use Halogen still though until dimmable LED’s appear.

I would like to see this done or get pointed to the right thread for this. I have Fire TV's and IP cameras connected to BlueIris. I'd like to see a turn on TV and display camera when the alarm goes off.

I really like bed!!

My TV is fed via HDMI from a cable TV tuner. I use the BrightSign hardware which sits inline on the HDMI and can superimpose text or live video from another HDMI or IP source. These units with various capabilities can be found online from around $50-$200. They are driven by a powerful IP based command protocol allow great positioning and resizing even up to 4K HD video. The BrightSign units are primarily intended for advertising / signage or restaurant menus etc.. like McD.

I don’t use FireTV but that could be your main input source, and BI providing the IP feed and HE the control.

Some TV’s have an inbuilt ability to this, both text and video , but in Europe I think some manufacturers eg Samsung block this for some legislative reason

3 Likes

I recently installed an IoTaWatt power meter and have found many ways to use it for automations. For example, I now use output from our rooftop solar system to determine when outside lights should turn on/off.

I have also focused on safety and "disaster-prevention." Many leak sensors, smoke/CO detectors, combustible gas sensor, and more. For example, I wired a contact sensor to the unused overflow shutoff switch on a condensate pump and use a rule that turns off the hybrid water heater and dehumidifier draining into the pump.

Oh yea, I have a flood and drain hydroponic garden outside and I use HE to control the pump schedule.

The biggest thing is talking to my wife about what is/is not working for her. This means spending time to refine existing automations to better fit with our lifestyle and blend even more into the background. Hubitat and home automation will be the most successful when I no longer notice it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just curious if you're using my IoTaWatt integration for Hubitat? Or did you write your own? I am always curious how others are accomplishing these integrations to see what I can learn. Thanks!

1 Like

Can you share some of your devices, and what you are currently doing with them as far as rules or automations?

For example, do you have a humidity sensor in the shower to run the bath fan automatically? I recently did this and it is so nice to have it run until the bathroom humidity is gone.

How about motion lights in the bathroom? I have two motion "rules" for light after midnight (20% brightness) and the rest of the day (50% brightness).

I turn on my garage, outdoor, and entryway lights with the garage door opener, and back off 15 minutes after the door closes.

I have Alexa tell me the wash machine is done, and when there is severe weather.

I made the kitchen light switch double tap event control the light over the sink so I didn't have to add an extra switch on the opposite side of the room. Same with the hall light and basement light, they didn't wire the basement to be controlled from upstairs, easy fix with a couple button controller rules.

I have a couple more, but these are the main rules.

1 Like

I have this too, though a little different. I had no hub back in the day I made it so it's standalone with an Arduino nano. But I also thought the fan started too late so I added a temp sensor to the warm water supply tubing. As soon as the shower goes on and the tube goes over 40 degreed Celsius is turns on the fan. So it's little bit more ahead of the high humidity. And it turns of if humidity is below 60% again.

1 Like

Yes! I am using your integration and I should have given some kudos -- it works great. I also followed your install and picked up the same sprinkler box, except I mounted it on a brick wall and used metallic conduit for power and flexible PVC for the CT wires.

For anyone who has even the slightest interest in gaining insight into power consumption, if you have space in your panel for current transformers, I can't recommend it enough. With it, we caught many small parasitic loads and actually found a failing GFCI outlet in our master bathroom.

1 Like