I always have this kind of luck

I've had this in my cart for days now. Still waiting to pull the trigger, but the price is sure good for now....

How many devices do you need to have to require multiple hubs?

I have 9 Wifi, 9 Zigbee, 16 Z-Wave Plus, and 1 unique hub for the 3 garage door openers.

The manufacturers are GE(Jasco), Honeywell(Jasco), Silvania, Nest, Rachio, August, Hampton Bay, and Craftsman/Liftmaster(Chamberlin).

Plus Alexa x 3......

It may be a very long time before I nickle and dime my way that far, but still curious.

Probably several hundred... at some point you cross your own personal line of comfort regarding the work it requires to replace a dead hub. I haven't heard of them dying.. but I suppose it can happen. No moving parts but it's not impossible.

If I had 150 devices on a single hub, I would be having that conversation in my head about just how long will it take to re-join all those devices to the replacement hub? If I cut that in half, 75 devices across two hubs and it's certainly a lot more comfortable a task.

Another way of looking at it is, perhaps... how much $$ is invested in devices and at what point does the extra cost of a hub become "small potatoes"?

My 'point' was at around 65 devices that needed to be migrated off the original hub and onto a new one. And if the hub is on sale, like it is through this weekend only, then is the 'point' is even lower?

Just a data point. I have ~135 (mix of zwave and zigbee) on a single hub with no issues. I'm sure others have more.

I do run a 2nd hub, but that is more for development work right now (I bought a C-4 with no zwave/zigbee stick).

I may change it to a 'coordinator' hub for internet connected doodads after all of the kinks in the HubConnect user driver get ironed out.

Are there kinks left? verson [next] is getting close(er) and my TestForJasonJoel list is all crossed off. :smiley:

2 Likes

Everything works except Sync right now - as far as I can tell. Which is pretty cool.

Having sync working ended up being more important than I thought for some infrequently changing / hard to make manually change attributes.

Sync on Custom Drivers.. I would have to scroll back to verify but I thought that one was squashed in version[next]

1 Like

Thanks. Good explanation.

I couldn't pass up the sale and placed my order.

Lol, some of you guys whining about the price or 10 bucks here or there. I just bought one from Asia and it cost me nearly 180 bucks including shipping and import duty. That's how much I wanted this device. And now I wish I'd bought two because I find it's excellent and so I need another one for a 2nd property. Time to get my wallet out again!

3 Likes

With shipping I paid over £200 for my first hub (before there was a uk version)
Since then I have bought another three! :slight_smile:

Andy

1 Like