Hunter Douglas - Solera PowerView Gen 3 / Hubitat - needed equipment and advice?

Hello -

We are considering new Hunter Douglas window treatments and including the "Solera PowerView" option so that we can integrate with our Hubitat system. I currently have another brand in our bedroom and those are directly connected to our HE via z-wave (i.e. we did not need their proprietary hub).

I've been digging around and have not yet found documentation or previous posts to advise on whether I can configure the Solera PowerView Gen 3 devices directly to HE or whether an additional piece of equipment is needed, as well.

The quote I received states "PowerView Accessories Gen 3 Automation" which I assume is the remote (which we do want) but beyond that I'm not sure what else we may need.

As expected, the reseller is not very tech savvy, so he does not know the answers to my questions.

Any pointers, or advice you can offer would be helpful and appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Lou

Start with this thread

Thank you, I have reviewed a good portion of that prior to posting but I don't see anywhere where the hardware requirements are discussed?

Well the hardware is your router. The API is cloud based so all your devices would be wifi. HE integration would control the devices via the cloud...

That's essentially the question I have, "is an additional piece of hardware required other than my HE, to connect with the Solera Powerview devices built into the shades?"

When you say "the router" do you mean the HE device itself? Or an additional piece of hardware. I don't think you mean my network router as that is WiFi - are are you suggesting that the Powerview devices are Wifi and connect directly to my router?

Thanks

No I meant your internet router (was being facetious). So Your hunter douglas stuff is cloud based and goes through wifi/lan to the internet. Any integration that would be coded would be only on HE and would go from HE>>cloud>>HD Devices

Interesting. Do you have a link to more documentation on this? A battery operated shade with Wi-Fi sounds unlikely to me and would guess it's more likely that there IS another hardware component I'd need. I'm definitely missing something here. Thx.

Looking more into it there is a specific hub for the hunter douglas stuff. It still uses a cloud API not local though. So it still would be HE>>CLOUD>>Hunter Douglas for the integration.

Boom. Yeah, that's what I suspected. Bluetooth connection between the shades and the hub, hub connects to WiFI to Internet and then talks to HE. If that is right it answers the question of whether an additional piece of hardware is needed. It also means that HE will not work with the shades without internet access. Not ideal, but not that big a deal. Can still control shades directly with a direct bluetooth connection through the remote if needed.

Does that sound right?

1 Like

Check out Zebra blinds @ZebraBlinds - they have zwave native blinds and window coverings that don’t require a separate hub.

1 Like

Thanks for the tag. I don't mean to impose but if you have any questions etc feel free to reach out or tag me.

Did you ever end up installing these shades, and if so, does it require internet to communicate with HE?
With Bluetooth, I would think you could control these with a phone app that does not require internet, and hopefully there would be some way to get that data to HE locally...