Hue motion sensor illuminance reporting expectations

I think the idea is the option to report on user set change levels in lux. Not just every 5 minutes, or some other timed interval.

Right but you have old firmware, so that's not going to work unless it's updated.

Have you been following this thread?
Apparently, the firmware update doesn't make much difference.
I acquired a Hue hub and will try updating today.

No, the other one.

I probably should have searched before starting that one.
Even if the Hue hub doesn't help that much, I'll still have learned something and maybe I'll buy a Hue bulb, or something.

edit: Crap. Looks like the Hue app is gonna force me to buy a bulb before it'll proceed. Oh well.

Yes, I had to buy a $15.00 bulb from HD in order to setup the hub.

I've seen significant issues since Mike updated the driver with Lux reporting, I have loads because they were rock solid but since the driver update something has gone wrong

What kind of issues?

Poor lux reporting

The driver has always had lux reporting options, the new driver just has more of them, and the original ones haven't changed.

I can set one up with the options you are having issues with and see if I can replicate the issue if you like...

1 Like

If you wouldn't mind, just seams odd that around the time driver was updated the performance of the sensor reporting lux degraded

ok, i need all the specific settings you're using, and what's not working when these settings are being used...

That would be great.

I just updated the firmware on the Hue motion sensor, and so far, don't notice any difference.

-Lux updates every 5 minutes when motion disabled (tape over sensor)
-Lux updates very quickly (5 second reset?) when motion active
-No lux updates on motion when On Motion Report option chosen
-No lux updates on temp when On Temp Report option chosen

start: (5 minute lux updates with sensor taped), then removed tape, changed Lux Reporting as per above, etc.

thanks, I'm looking for the settings that @mark.cockcroft is using as he is saying that the latest update degraded the reporting.
So he has experience with previous reporting, and after update reporting.

I need to replicate that scenario to make sure that bugs weren't introduced.

The issue you're experiencing may or may not be related.

Ok.

Let me add, that with the sensor taped (motion disabled), there is indeed no lux report when device is refreshed.

The is with the latest Hue motion sensor software (March, 2019),, 6.1.1.27575

With motion sensor disabled (taped) I would ONLY get an illuminance event every 5 minutes IF THE LEVEL CHANGES.

If the lux level doesn't change no event is triggered at the 5 minute interval. ( I assume this is to preserve battery life).

Me too.

edit: I don't see any difference with the sensor's firmware update.

More on refresh: with motion sensor taped, refresh updates the temp but not lux.

This what you need?

Yes, but what am I looking at report wise?
You said reporting is broken, but didn't say how.
How does the current reporting differ from what you observed previous?