Hue motion sensor illuminance reporting expectations

If the lux doesn't change there isn't an event to send.
Covering the motion sensor covers the lux sensor as well...

False. Are you looking at the right sensor?

Mike, on these sensors there are two separate sensors, 1 for motion and 1 for illuminance.

1 Like

Much more diplomatic, lol.

I seriously doubt that given there's an led behind that opening...

Believe it. Cover the dome with tape, as I did, and observe the log after five minutes. You should get a lux reading. Move the sensor to a dimmer or brighter place, and wait five minutes. You should get a lux reading. Whereas, according to your driver, you should get a lux report if it exceeds the delta that you've set.

I'll do some testing, but with the 10 lux setting you used unless lux changes by 10 or more you should only get a report every 64800 seconds, so either there's a bug in the code, or the sensor is ignoring the max report interval of 64800 and is using 300 instead...
If the sensor is ignoring the value, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.

I'll try get some logs but basically, lux is intmitant. Ligth turns on lux jumps up OK, but when light turns off it takes a number of minutes (haven't Timed it but around 5) for the lux to update now its dark. For me it seems to be when it changes from light to dark,

The driver gives the impression that the sensor will report changing lux values even when motion is not active. This is not true. It only reports the changing lux value when there is motion or every 5 minutes. It does not report changing lux values when motion is not active.

Go to the tape.

Trust me, the device and the driver are capable and do in fact do produce lux events irrespective of motion events.
The cause of the issue with respect to the settings you are using is unknown right now.

Yeah, every 5 minutes.

Dude, look at the events I posted, are all of them every 5 minutes?

They're all MORE than 5 minutes apart, dude.

Do you understand the point? There is no reporting of change in lux over a period of less than 5 minutes unless motion is active. Never mind the fact that when report when motion or temp change options are chosen, nothing is reported.

As they shoud be, and as i said previously i dont know what the issue is that you're having.

I'm out, since you and I don't appear to understand each other...

To the original poster, @eugenevital , and others affected, I tried. It's like beating a dead horse.

No - the reporting seems to be independent when set that way.

Well I started replying to this thread because I wanted to use lux as a condition for the motion lighting app. Mine does report every 5 minutes (if there's a lux change per the settings) but I was hoping that @mike.maxwell (sorry for tagging you again Mike! :grin:) would look at making a change to the app to use the illumination reading generated when motion is detected rather than the last reading.

I updated the firmware but it will not report on a lux threshold change except at the 5 minute interval point.

PS @mike.maxwell I have the same device settings as @mark.cockcroft

So just to confirm, it can't report lux events when they actually occur other than at the 5 minute point? If so it looks like the settings preference just needs to be relabelled to make this clear.

But if it is meant to send a lux report immediately on a threshold change, then thanks in advance for taking another look at this.

BTW I noticed also that if I set lux to be reported on a change in temp, I get no lux readings at all (just temperature ones).

This is not the case, the reporting is not supposed to periodic.
And for the sensors I have in production and those I've tested with it isn't.

Just to be clear, the folks having reporting issues, is this the indoor model? or the outdoor model...

here is mine reporting without motion.. but as mentioned it wont report unless there is a lux change, ie it doesnt report periodically

i have it set at the default 10 lux, this is the outdoor

it does appear to be every 10 minutes regardless of level, (as long as there is a sufficient level change in that 10 minutes) so their may be a problem

it also appears to throw an extra report in when there is motion report as well.

Mike, mine is the indoor sensor

Indoor (I also have the outdoor one but have not tested it).

Although I see both indoor and outdoor models use the same firmware so it would not be surprising if they're the same other than weather sealing.