Hue Groups not found

Why is this issue not fixed yet?

I have hue recess lights and light strips that won't show up just like in this post.

What should be “fixed”? The thread is 2 years old and no one has followed up with logs that could confirm if this is indeed an issue that needs fixing. There are no logs or other help evidence provided. That’s a great place to start.

1 Like

Tell me what logs someone would like, I'd happily provide them. I didn't make the original thread.
But an ongoing issue after 2 years seems like an issue that needs addressed.

I have no hub setup right now as I prepare to move. Maybe some else can chime in. I bought some Hue strips to use in my new home with my Hue Bridge and the HE Hue Integration, but I don’t have a way to test anything right now.

I would think that in 2 years time, someone else would chime in and say “this is broken, hue strips don’t show up along with Hue bulbs”. But that’s not the case.

I find a lot of things in Hubitat to not be as they should. For example in Hue Group add screen
"Let's find some groups. Please click the "Refresh Group Discovery" Button if you aren't seeing your Groups / Rooms."

Yet there's no button to click.

1 Like

I believe that the Refresh option might only become visible if Hubitat’s Hue integration doesn’t successfully update the list of Hue groups when you enter that page. I just opened up my Hue integration app and then went into the Groups section, and was presented with an up to list of Hue Groups that were available to be added to Hubitat. Thus, I am not sure this “problem” is really all that widespread? :thinking:🤷

There are two other Community Hue integrations available as well. Those are more full featured, and I believe both have been recently updated to use the new Hue v2 API which provides instant status updates without the need for polling. You might want to investigate these as well.

3 Likes

As an early adopter of one of these I would suggest taking small steps to looking at the recent advances in integrations like the Advanced Hue Integration, which accepts push notifications from the Hue Bridge of changes, rather than needing to poll.

2 Likes

Right there you're telling me there's a lack of development on the integrated app and it's been neglected for some time now.

I really don't want to have to re-create all my scenes, actions and conditions for several rooms. It would be extremely tedious and take forever to get done.

Hubitat sees the group, doesn't populate to the available groups drop down. Same as the other guy 2 years ago.

So what's the fix?

If you're referring to the new V2 API, @bertabcd1234 and @armand can correct me if I'm wrong, but during their development using this new API, it has been undocumented, requiring them to reverse engineer the API calls and data processing. It was only officially announced in early November and even then I'm not sure to what extent it is actually complete or how much detail was made available. So I would not expect the Hubitat Team to have dived in this early, although it wouldn't surprise me if they had, either way, they won't have had long to have been working with it.

2 Likes

That's understandable, I think it is still worth pursuing solving your issue with Groups at this stage.

If you're referring to the new V2 API, @bertabcd1234 and @armand can correct me if I'm wrong, but during their development using this new API, it has been undocumented, requiring them to reverse engineer the API calls and data processing. It was only officially announced in early November and even then I'm not sure to what extent it is actually complete or how much detail was made available. So I would not expect the Hubitat Team to have dived in this early, although it wouldn't surprise me if they had, either way, they won't have had long to have been working with it.

So, the official Hue API V2 is released. Also, Hue has started actively deprecating some V1 API features. The V2 API is not compatible nor is it similar to the V1 API. The work We did to support push based updates in our Hue integrations was spot on with the official documentation. There are some new features to be added, and things like support for sensors in my code will now be able to support a multi-sensor once I get the time to finish my rewrite.
I cannot speak toward the official native support for Hue. I would hope that HE staff is porting their code over to the V2 API, but they have not officially said anything.

If they would like to use my code, I would be fine with that. If they would like any assistance with the port, I would be fine with that too. My opinion is that the Hue code likely won’t be advanced much until demand is high enough. This guess is based on the fact that Hue was never really a full solution to begin with, just a basic feature set to controlling lights and groups and it much more. Many advancements have occurred with Hue, and we don’t see any of them implemented in HE other than through 3rd party tools like ours.
It would be ideal to have only one official integration that does everything, But ideal is not always practical. HE fully supports the whole line of Hue zigbee devices directly, so for basic automations, the stuff work in a HE only works. It is only when you try to integrate with the hue hub to use their features that He has limitations in their support for Hue. So, we may find that HE developers would rather we migrate our devices over to the HE radios….

This is all speculation. We need to hear from HE staff to know their plans. I have not heard from them nor read of any plans for Hue.

4 Likes

The HE scenes don’t work with Hue scenes. And if you want to control a subset of lights, they must all be in a zone or room, and set to the set color/mode/brightness…. Others wise the scene transition is not seem less. This is what lead me to create my own hue code, because HE staff did not want to integrate the HR scenes with Hue scenes — this is still one of my goals, but a custom scene app would not create a standard HE scene, so it would still be a bit wonky.

2 Likes

So no answers ? Other than scrap it and start over.

I am not using Hue scenes. I am simply using Hue hub as a zigbee aggregation device and a gateway to continue using the Hue app for user friendly interface when needed. I also am about to do a second hub as I've reached the bulb limit on the first one.

I am simply looking for continued use of Hue groups to manage things in Hubitat as it's much easier than a per bulb function. It's also easier to change bulbs in a group potentially and not have to mess with my config.

With 117 current devices (not including Hue bulbs) in Hubitat and the terrible organizational function of it, I don't want to add any further complications to the issue.

Seems as if there is a group limit. I have new groups showing up once I delete others. And of course Hubitat doesn't remove groups that are removed from Hue. But I am still hitting a limit of active groups that I can add. Wonder if this limit can be raised.

Tagging @mike.maxwell and @bcopeland from Hubitat to see if the limit you’ve reached can be changed.

1 Like

We don't have a hard group limit within our integration.

1 Like

Interesting. I couldn't get my groups to show up unless I deleted some older ones. A couple of them I had to remove and rename to show up. Any ideas?