Hubitat Support will not help with custom code. Why?

Just because we are close to Easter... :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just find it unfair for the rabbit... he has all the hard work and the credits are all for the eggs

1 Like

Is there an easy way to determine a performance hit on the hub aside from disabling the suspect app? I mean I can look at the logs, but if I see no obvious errors.

Unsubscribe

2 Likes

Other Hub Event Pusher originally had an issue where it would delay other actions in Rule Machine, but as soon as it was discovered I added a delay to the app which solved the problem.

No one has ever mentioned that it can cause the hub to lock up so if that's really the case then someone please PM me so I can look into it...

Edit: If someone has 200 devices and they've included them all and enabled every attribute for the real-time integration then that probably would crash their hub, but that's their own stupidity...

My first pc was an IBM PS2 Model25 with 8086 processor, 640K Ram, MCGA graphics and a 720K floppy drive. If I remember correctly it also had a 20MB hard drive but I may be misremembering that...in any case it was ridiculously small.

That pc started my run into geekdom because I did everything in my power to get it to run Leisure Suit Larry and a host of other Sierra games it wasn't designed to run. I couldn't convince my dad to "upgrade" to have a mouse so I saved and and bought a serial mouse from a friend who had an extra one (obvioulsy not that good a friend because I had to buy the sucker...but back then they were expensive for a kid).

I also had an Epson dot matrix. Good times I tell yuh!

1 Like

@stephack,

Leisure Suit Larry was one of my faves.... Well, along with Duke Nukem!

1 Like

Ahh yes "Hail to the king baby!"
That game took me to the next level of geekdom...networking. I setup my first network using bnc to play this with my cousins that lived a floor below us (2 family home). Great fun learning and gaming. We even got Netmeeting going so we could talk and chat without having to yell down the staircase. Nerd adventures in 10BaseT FTW.

Great for more complex engineering. But for RAD, it's far quicker to market to not have to re-invent the wheel every time you turn around. The frameworks are there for that reason.

1 Like

I grew up playing with 386, but no, I'm not old as @bravenel

While the AT&T 6300 was the first personal computer I owned, I learned programming in BASIC using an ASR-33 teletype with an acoustic coupler that gave us access (at 110 baud) to a time sharing service (Dialcom in Rockville Maryland). This was provided by our high school (and I am so glad they did this). The first computer game I played was L-Golf, written in BASIC.

Who remembers the first 300 baud modems that you put the phone receiver into? Literally had a switch for Send and Receive.

Then that led to Bulletin Board Systems (for you youngsters, that was our internet!)

Which led to Compuserve, and then, AOL.

Awww, those were the days!!!! :smile:

4 Likes

@bravenel may not think people buy HE because of my apps but I still have the power...

'Cobra' committee takes over No Deal amid moves to activate 'Operation Yellowhammer' on Monday | Daily Mail Online

I really couldn’t resist this headline

Andy

4 Likes

My first PC was sold to me by a friend, a 286 with an early version of Windows. I don't even remember the details, it's been that long! But I DO remember pulling off individual memory chips and inserting new ones, to upgrade the memory. I bent a pin on one of the chips and about freaked out!

My daughters didn't have cell phones until they went off to college, and we had one PC while they were in school that we all had to share. And yeah, our first internet was with a modem, though not the phone receiver kind.

I wonder what life will be like when my grandkids get to high school!

After Uni and the PDP 11 my first PC was an Ohio Scientific Superboard with 6502 processor and IIRC 4k of RAM on board expandable to 8K and had the first ever Microsoft Basic in ROM. Cassette tape program storage. 1977 I’m guessing.

Pretty sure it was later than 1977 - I don't think the 6502 had even been released then. My first computer was a Newbear (I think) 77-68 - it was a single-sided 8" board that took a socketed 6800 CPU, and you had to solder on the wires on the upper side of of the board (probably at least 100 of them). It had a magnificent 256 bytes of RAM. I think I bought and built mine in about '78. The superboard was probably '79 or so.

Never had the receiver setup for the modem, but I remember the great days of bulletin boards and ascii art. I think there were xmodem and zmodem connection types back then.

And unfortunatley I also remember using Compuserve and the endless AOL trials until I found Prodigy. They allowed access to the internet without the AOL walled garden.

Never expected this thread to turn into a 'remember when' type of thing! lol

But ...

Studied Cobol back in '86-'88. First program I ever wrote was probably around 1985 - a blackjack game that I posted on the bulletin boards. Wrote it using my IBM PC JR! Loved that machine, added a bernoulli box for storage too. My first real job was at MIT loading and unloading the Mag tape machines, loading up the punch card machines and occasionally loading up a paper tape. Wanna make a scientist mad... forget to put the read/write ring in the back on the mag reel before loading it! Good times. :roll_eyes:

'80, I think- my 2nd year of college my grandmother paid for my Ohio Scientific "C1P", expanded to 8K. Same computer as yours except with a box and PS. Could have been a year or two before that for you- I don't remember how long it was out. Mine was a "close out" for (I think?) $320?

A year or so later I put together a single board CP/M machine - 64K, 4MHz Z80, a couple RS232 serial ports, a couple 600K 8" floppy drives, and an 80x25 dumb terminal. That was what I wrote my first POS system on.

Since we're all sharing, my first "PC" was a TI 99/4A with 16K RAM, a cartridge slot, and an external tape drive. No OS per se, the interface was a Basic Interpreter. Spent all my time copying programs character by character from COMPUTE and PCMag.

I think my first "Program" was a character generator for D&D.

I think I got that PC in ~1981 or so. We also had a Radio Shack clone of the Timex Sinclair.

And the first computer I used in the Air Force was a PDP 11/44 fully kitted out with Line Printer consoles for booting, and maybe 12 terminals, on some sort of Thicknet.

Not as dated as some around here....but it seems like yesterday!

Scott

2 Likes

It really does, doesn't it?!