Hubitat Support will not help with custom code. Why?

That's just one example. If you have that and webcore and others at the same time who knows the effects. I agree though I can't explain why does over time. But some report instant results too after an uninstall. Others also have no issues at all. It's a tuff one though.

In one of my driver's I used a sync http call to turn on my ring floodlight. I had that in a routine that turned on a bunch of lights in my backyard. I noticed it had a bit of a delay as it would wait on the response from http in that case. I ended up changing it over to async http and it was way faster. So now I look closely at things like that to keep things efficient.

This is probably going off topic but just stuff I notice by doing debugging and logging in the drivers and apps I play with.

1 Like

I don't go back quite that far, but when I was in school those systems were still used.

Bruce on the other hand, may be of the vintage where changing vacuum tubes was part of the debugging process.

If so, he has me beat. Age wise.

Punch cards?? Those are fictional right?? It's a joke you old guys play on youth, right? It's like walking to school in snow, uphill, both ways. There's NO WAY there were cards with holes in them that got used by a computer. It's just too far fetched.

And 'paper tape'?? Holes in a strip of paper?? You guys are incredible.

:smiley:

That's what I was expecting to see.

The ultimate expression of binary. Until "hanging chads" came along.

THIS is real programming.

Yes, the PDP8 had core memory. When we got the systems in from DEC, we could turn them on and hit the "Continue" button and they would be running the last diagnostic routine that was run before they were packed for shipping. This amazed me (I was young and impressionable then).

Now I’m hurt!
I thought everyone bought their hubs because of my apps :rofl::rofl:

I realise that my apps are not the best code, written in the way that they are.
But you might be surprised if you ever see my pre-release stuff, just how noisy they are in the logs.
It’s the only way I can keep on top of things and watch whats going on when running.
But I use log.warn ‘cause it stands out more :slight_smile:

Andy

5 Likes

LOL! While I don't know if Bruce ever programmed via vacuum tubes...I do believe he may have been fairly busy from 1976 to 1978 working on a somewhat popular piece of silicon... :wink: (Google Search is an amazing tool!)

3 Likes

yeah, i was thinking of adding log.cobra.. flash red on an orange background.

6 Likes

LMAO!

No, that's why they return them!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(J/K)

1 Like

Now I’m really hurt!
Don’t even joke about that!

Lol

Andy

My first PC was an AT&T 6300 with the 8086 and two 5.25" floppy drives. I used it to run Generic Cad to do my network drawings (which were printed on an Epson wide-carriage dot matrix printer on continuous form, pin fed, plain white paper). It would take all night for a big drawing to print.

They don't buy to use Cobra Apps because they are too hard to discover that they solve a problem. Back to that "App Store" issue again. :frowning:

Just wait until people start using HubConnect.. They'll be returning their hubs en masse!

That's exactly what Hubitat needs.. I just don't understand why the HE team hasn't done anything to improve on that. :innocent:

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX-81 with 1 kilobyte of RAM, and an audio cassette recorder as the storage drive. From there, I moved up to a Commodore VIC-20, where I learned 6502 assembler. That led to a Commodore 64, and eventually an Amiga.

When I joined the workforce in 1991, I programmed F77 on PDP-11's running RSX-11s with 1MB of RAM. These systems ran custom real-time process control systems for manufacturing. It took ~12hours to build the PDP code on a VAX VMS system! Eventually these were replaced with Motorola 68K/16MB VME based systems running VxWorks with the custom F77 code ported to C. Some of these are still running to this day. All new deployments and retrofits are running on Tenasys' InTime real-time operating system.

While I understand the desire/need to use higher level languages like Java and .Net, the underlying frameworks seem to really tax a system. C/C++ code, on the other hand, is incredibly efficient and demands programmers never make a mistake. Just getting the code to compile and link is 90% of the work. After that, it's all about perfecting logic and plugging any memory leaks! Garbage Collection? We don't need no stinking Garbage Collection! :wink:

4 Likes

The harder they are to find the easier is to say that most users only use built in apps..

Like saying if there was no Google play store or iOS app store people would only use the built in apps of the OS....

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile::rofl::joy:

Sorry guys... was too easy and I couldn't resist.....:joy::joy::sunglasses::grin::smile:

1 Like

Ditto :joy: :joy:

10 print "Roy is Ace "
20 goto 10

Hahahaha

2 Likes

Another easter egg?