Hubitat™ SmartThings Integration

The word "home" appears in any discussion too many times with too many meanings!!

Starting with your iPhone or iPad, there's an iOS App called Home. It's usually preloaded, but if you're not running a recent version, you'd have to get it from the App Store. It's Free. The iOS app Home, works with the iOS framework and database called HomeKit. Within the iOS app Home, you will find tiles for your HomeKit devices. You can organize them into Rooms and create Automations, including presence.

iOS Home app Automation however, requires a HomeKit Hub. You can use an Apple TV, an always powered on iPad or a HomePod speaker. All of them simply need you to login using your Apple ID and tell it you want it to be a hub. For Presence, you need a the HomeKit hub.

The next component is Homebridge which runs on a computer that is on your LAN. It can be a Raspberry Pi, or Linux (like MacOS) and there is a Windows version.

The last component is the Homebridge App for Hubitat. Like a lot of apps, it is where you tell it which of your hundreds of Hubitat devices you want to see on your iOS Home app. This is all very similar in data flow to Google Home or Amazon Echo... but Apple.

Homebridge is a bridge. It gets a message on 'one side,' transcodes it, and sends it out the 'other side.'

The Homebridge App for Hubitat will see that a light got turned on.. and sends a message to Homebridge which converts it to a HomeKit message and sends it to the HomeKit Hub. Your iOS device will see that the Light is on, and will change it's tile to match.

The reverse is true too. By creating an Automation on your iPhone or iPad, your iPhone becomes a presence sensor and when it comes within Bluetooth + LAN range, the HomeKit Hub will know and send a message to Homebridge. It will convert the HomeKit message to a Hubitat message and tell the Hubitat hub,

Once working, it all goes 'invisible' just like Amazon Echo and Google Home, but with a presence sensor none of those have.

You can ask Siri to turn on lights, open shades, shut the Garage door, etc. Presence is in the background and all it does is turn on/off a Hubitat Virtual switch.

2 Likes

@csteele Thanks for the explanation! So I need to have a Homekit hub. I have an old ipad. Not sure if it will have the right OS though. I will look into this.

Looks like I am out of luck for this integration as my ipad is only on version 9.3.5 and that is up to date for this ipad.:disappointed_relieved:

Will this app "Send Hub Events" work with buttons? There doesn't seem to be a way to select them in the ST app.

I have the same question. I'm not able to get button presses from SmartThings to Hubitat. Is there any way or hack how it can be done?

Read this thread. [RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (even SmartThings!)

2 Likes

Where the heck do you enter the hubitat IP Address???

Most likely within the ST Classic Mobile App... as outlined below.

You'll need to use the ST Classic All to first add the Send Hub Events SmartApp to your ST setup.

P.S. HubConnect may be a better option these days, as it has received a lot of community support over the last few years.

1 Like

Thanks for this. My Sensative gate contact sensor doesn't seem to like Hubitat (I know others have succeeded but it wasn't having it for me) so I have left it on the ST hub :slight_smile:

@bravenel very useful app for migrating. There is a small bug whereby if people like myself have everything set to use Celcius when the temperature is transferred to hubitat it assumes it needs to be reconverted back from "fahrenheit" to celcius again leading to a very low value appearing in the hubitat side.
Is there a way to fix this as it'll take me months to transfer my system over fully?

So it's Celcius in ST? And ends up F° on the Hubitat side? Do you have the hub set for C°?

Yep °C on both sides. I suspect it simply sends over the value from ST. Then on the receiving side your code probably always assumes the temperature is in °F because it doesn't transfer the unit type. Then it converts this to °C which is my preference here in the UK.

I'll have to look, but as far as I remember, it wouldn't process the temperature value at all.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into. Here some more data....

Here on hubitat:

temperature -5.44 °C Gavin's Bedroom. is -5.44°C DEVICE 2020-09-03 08:35:10.090 BST
temperature -5.38 °C Gavin's Bedroom. is -5.38°C DEVICE 2020-09-03 06:35:20.825 BST
temperature -5.33 °C Gavin's Bedroom. is -5.33°C DEVICE 2020-09-03 06:05:23.511 BST
temperature -5.27 °C Gavin's Bedroom. is -5.27°C DEVICE 2020-09-03 04:35:31.124 BST

Here on smartthings side:

2020-09-04 6:33 AM BST - 7 hours ago temperature 21.6 C C
2020-09-04 6:03 AM BST - 8 hours ago temperature 21.7 C C
2020-09-04 5:33 AM BST - 8 hours ago temperature 21.8 C C

as you can see °C on both sides.

1 Like

Yes I am getting this too

1 Like

I've just enabled this Hub Link app in my Hubitat and added the SmarkApp using the SmartThings IDE and it was available in the new SmartThings Android app (classic no longer works for me)

so far it looks ok except as others have mentioned: the temperature reporting is incorrect.
I have my ST set to use Celsius and my HE also uses Celsius as same as the user above 21 degree in ST gets reported as around -5 in HE.

@bravenel any chance that this might get fixed?

Switch to the user-contributed app Hub Connect.

I saw HubConnect but it looks more difficult to setup and the fact that it needs registration on another website and the dial home features are putting me off installing it

The forum members are willing to help.

I will look into it.

1 Like