Hubitat review from a Homekit channel

There are few platforms, all local, that perform really fast.

1 Like

I use the Home app for 90% of things on my phone, it's only that last 10% of more advanced options that I fire up the Hubitat Dashboard.

My wife uses the Home app exclusively, as it's just faster to load current states and easier for her to understand.

2 Likes

I dont have an ATV, but I do have multiple HomePod Mini's.

1 Like

I a not surprised. The Home app is extremely popular.

1 Like

That will keep your traffic local.

1 Like

Yep, I’m looking at replacing all of our Echo’s for that reason.

2 Likes

Great idea.

1 Like

Just watched the YouTube video and wondered aloud if Apple might buy Hubitat to be their official Z-Wave/Zigbee bridge. I'm a bit of an Apple Fanboy with mostly apple products around the house. But, they were so slow out of the gate, and that's how I ended up with SmartThings for 3 years and now Hubitat for 2+ years. I think they thought that their market position would have everyone clamoring for "HomeKit Compatibility" and honestly most of the world was fine with Z-Wave and Zigbee devices that were "good enough." Good enough frequently wins in the market. VHS over Beta. DVD over LaserDisc. etc. Apple could buy Hubitat, reissue the devices in white, chamfer the edges of the box and voila. "Apple Home Automation Bridge" is born. Unlikely, but still possible. I think they are secretly sorry they took such a restrictive approach with home automation.

3 Likes

Same here. Just got a HomePod mini for testing and the speed of response is amazing compared to Alexa/Echo.

2 Likes

It’s quite a dramatic difference, local FTW!

2 Likes

My only issue right now is even though personal responses are on, the Siri on the HomePods keep asking who I or my wife are and I can't get anything added to AnyList via Siri

Well It's clear, you obviously have said or even thought something that Apple doesn't agree with, so they limited your functionality. Yes I'm joking, but I could never support a company like Apple. Remember what they did in China, by limiting who could share with others, to placate the Chinese communists. And their exploitation of child labor ~rant over~

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-10/apple-limits-iphone-file-sharing-tool-used-for-protests-in-china

1 Like

Is Apple all that different than many multi-national corporations in the tech industry and other sectors?

I don't mean to suggest that placating a totalitarian regime or unethical labor practices are an ok thing, but I think one would have to pretty heavily restrict which companies one buys goods or services from to avoid that.

2 Likes

You never know. I find that my customers are very comfortable for the apple interface. It would be interesting.

I am big Alexa guy but I think I need to do some testing to see if apple is faster?

I have a lot of echos myself. But that saved trip to the cloud is noticeable enough that my wife said “replace them.” It will take until I have a viable replacement for Echo Speaks that works with HomePod minis.

2 Likes

I will have to do some experimenting. I have not been happy with Alexa for a while.

Please no. I love apple products as much as the next guy, but I’d be seriously concerned they’d kill off Hubitat automations and force all automations through the home app, which are either much less complicated, or slower.

3 Likes

Idk man. I hate that as much as the next guy, but Samsung, google, LG, Sony and more all do the same thing. It’s a bad practice, but I feel you can’t really single out a company when they all do it

2 Likes

That is a great point. I think it is better that Hubitat works well with Apple but is independent.

2 Likes