Hubitat offline, non responsive

At about 1108pm last night my hub went offline. Its a c7, hardwired to a unifi switch. Everything else on that switch is working.

This morning i power cycled it twice, tried a different port on the switch and power cycled it again. I can't get it connected. I had activity on the switch interface but the switch is showing its offline in the management interface and pfsense shows it offline.

There is a solid blue light on the front.

Yes it has a dhcp reservation. No, nothing else could have its IP. Yes ive confirmed the reservation is still there.

Im 100% offline and cant figure it out. Any help would be awesome. Im worried the hub is toast.

Have you tried connecting to the hub using the diagnostic tool?

1 Like

This means the platform hasn't loaded (or isn't loading). This could happen for several reasons; the simplest of them being that the platform database is severely corrupted.

Rock solid advice here from @sburke781. To reach the Diagnostic Tool, navigate to "http://[Your Hub IP]:8081/". Once you're there, perform a Soft Reset. If the issue is a corrupt database, this should rescue your hub.

If you are unable to reach the Diagnostic Tool, then it suggests an underlying hardware failure, such as a corrupt or damaged eMMC. There is no way to recover from a hardware failure.

3 Likes

Blue light means the main platform cannot load. Often from a corrupted database. You usually should still be able to pin it and reach it on port 8081 for the diagnostic tool.

Did you ever set a static IP on the hub? You could try a network reset to clear any network settings out.

2 Likes

Thanks, i think im on the right track. Eventually it loaded and told me the database was corrupt. The soft restore just finished so now i can restore from backup. Fortunately ive got a cloud backup from a couple of days ago so ill retore that. I have a bunch of zwave devices, do i need to select "zwave radio settings" to get my devices up and running, or is that for a migration to a different hub?

2 Likes

i have a DHCP reservation on my firewall/router, but i didnt set any IP settings on the hubitat.

I think im on the right track, you were right about the database, i finally got it to load and got an error about the database. Soft reset has been done, now im deciding on which backup to restore, really just not sure if i need to resotre zwave radio settings, or if thats for migrating to a new hub since my devices are alredy paired with this hardware. any suggestions?

Not necessary if you just did a soft reset, as the soft reset doesn’t touch the radios.

That’s good. Some people set an IP address on the Hub that’s inside the router’s reservation table, and trouble ensues.
It also sounds like you might be powering the hub via PoE. That is known to cause problems due to voltage fluctuations.
See this thread if you are using PoE. PoE and the C8 (with extensive testing)

1 Like

Its not PoE, its plugged into a PDU in my rack.

restore seems to have worked. I didnt tell it to restore zwave radio, i figured the devices were already paired and didnt want to mess with that.

seems to be in good shape. Im at work now, but i can turn a light on and off in hubitat and the state changes in home assistant to match. ill confirm with my wife in a bit, but i think im good now!

3 Likes

Good to hear you’re up and running again.

1 Like

Yes that was the best move. Only restore the z-wave radio in rare circumstances or if you are moving to a different hub. You could have even used a local backup instead of the cloud backup, if the local one was newer. Really the radio backups are intended for only if you hub dies, so you can bring a replacement hub online quickly. Having it be a cloud backup is mainly to have is somewhere safe so you do not have to worry about it. The local backups will work in most cases when you need to restore from a soft reset.

3 Likes

Makes sense, i figured i didnt want to mess with zwave if i didnt need to. I might have a local backup thats more recent, but the cloud backup was there, it was easy to grab and i havent made any changes in a couple of weeks, so that was easy enough.