Hubitat > NodeRed > MySQL > Grafana (LONG READ)

I think there is a problem once I copy the JSON to the website and save it..... Let me see how I can fix that.

Greetings from the rabbit hole!

I've been dealing with a frequently non-responsive hub. It's most assuredly a result of something I've done, but still, I want metrics. Since we don't have any profiling tools (I kid, I kid!) and my wife gets cranky if the lights don't come on when I'm not home, I came up with this flow.

It does the following:

• Gets the list of installed apps and calculates the time it took to complete the request
  • Shoves the elapsed time into the database for graphing/reporting
  • Checks the response times.
    • If response times start to become concerning, it sends a Pushover alert.
      • If I'm awake, it's allowed to do it once an hour.
      • If I'm sleeping, it does it once so I see the notification in the morning and then shuts up for the rest of the night.
    • If they get really bad, it will reboot the hub up to once an hour.
      • Notifications via Pushover follow the same restrictions as above.
      • Hub response times immediately after a reboot can potentially be very high while the services are still starting. This check avoids false positives.

5 Likes

Rabbit hole indeed! I really like the calc on the hub response times after a reboot. would you mind sharing the flow?

I also came across this the other day. It allows you to send Alexa notifications from pretty much anything that can do a HTTP request out. I'm using it for a status report and some alerts. Might be nice to use along with pushover alerts.

Hey Coby,

I uploaded the JSON to github here: HE 2 Influx

That should work. I also adjusted my original message above.

Let me know if you still have problems

2 Likes

Thank you very much @dan.t . Working now.

Sure thing!

1 Like

@dan.t, I imported your flow but it's not writing anything to my influxDB. I'm new to nodeRed so it's probably something I'm doing wrong.

I am using the 8086 port and I put in the name of my DB in the required field. What am I missing?

A couple of questions:

1. Did you install node-red-contrib-filter and node-red-contrib-influxbd?
  2. Did you enable the flow (double click on the tab with the flow name and click on Enable)?
  3. Did you change the IP for the Hubitat Event Socket Prod?
  4. Click on the Debug tab (after you deploy it) and see if there are any errors showing up?

(ok, 4 == couple in my world :wink: )

I think I just got it working by changing the message from "payload" to "entire message"
I had the socket already created and was just copying the rest of the flow from @dan.t.

But thanks for the steps above...didnt know about 2 or 4

1 Like

I guess @corerootedxb beat me to it.....

Sorry! I was copying @btk's code when @stephack sent the post. LOL

Edit: BTW, LOVE the code sir!

Found one bug (which I never fixed in my nodejs code either :frowning: )

Line 202: Change to value: (Array.isArray(v.value) ? v.value.join(',') : v.value),

This is to correct for threeAxis devices. Otherwise, InfluxDB throws a 400 error.

@dan.t for contact sensor, are you able to show in grafana both open and closed state? I am only seeing the close state only. I think the code is sending the status for both open and closed events right?

Hey @cuboy29,

yes, I do get my contact sensors reported correctly. You could temporarily add a debug output to your Node-Red flow and see if it gets reported correctly on your end. Something like this:

Thanks for that @corerootedxb! I updated the flow in my github repo

1 Like

@btk, your HE performance monitoring is awesome! Thanks.

One suggestion: I would add a time filter in front of the reboot action to exclude any time between 02:00 am and 03:00 am. HE does it's housekeeping and backups during that time and might be slow responding. You don't want to restart the Hub during a backup.... Happened to me last night

1 Like

Good idea. I'm adding a bunch of extra logic to this flow like requiring multiple consecutive >30s response times for a reboot. I'll take this into account as well.

@dan.t, I'm still getting errors with 3 axis after updating to your new flow. Are you seeing the errors still?

Not near a computer right now but will check on it ASAP. I don’t have the need to record a 3 axis device so need to play with it for a bit. Only added it for completeness in the first place.

Stay tuned

Just to confirm, the only changes you made was to the Set Influx Data node...correct? I just copied that one over to my flow.

Yes, that is correct