Hubitat no longer connecting to ecowitt gateway

I will give that a try. Thanks.

R

Be patient and give the hub/Ecowitt a little time to find each other after they are both started up.

1 Like

thanks!

Also factor in the data update time configured in the WS View app, i.e. how often it sends data to he

2 Likes

So I am glad you have the GW1100 and not the GW1000, because the former has a built-in webserver that the GW1000 does not. I am still betting on an IP address change that has not yet propagated to the "WS View" app.

Try this: from a computer on your LAN, go to "http://ip-addr-of-gw1100" replacing "ip-addr-of-gw1100" with the IP address of that the GW1100 that you use in the Hubitat integration. If you cannot reach a website, that confirms that the IP address has changed.

If you reach a website, this is what it will look like:

You don't need a username/password, but clicking on login will give you this screen:

1 Like

I'd follow through on the other suggestions here first, but one other thing that may help diagnose where the issue lies would be to change the IP / MAC address setting in HE, monitor the logs to see if the HE platform has received data and doesn't have anywhere to put it. e.g.

This will tell us whether the EcoWitt gateway is actually sending the data through to the HE hub and what the details are. If you don't see the log, then the issue is likely to be back on the gateway.

1 Like

That’s correct. I realized in maybe March that it hadn’t actually been connected for about a month or so (I don’t have many temperature/humidity based automations in the winter so just never noticed).

Before I could get around to really doing anything about it, a few weeks later, it had synced back up again.

Wish I could suggest something helpful but I still don’t really know what happened :man_shrugging:.

2 Likes

I have a reasonable guess for what might have happened if it is a GW1100b, which is the unit I have. When I first set it up about a month ago, it spontaneously entered setup mode (i.e. began advertising its SSID and was no longer available at the reserved IP address), which was corrected by restarting it. Since then, I updated the firmware, and this has not recurred.

Edit: I am looking at the release notes. My unit shipped with fw 2.0.7; there were WiFi changes/fixes in 2.0.9 and 2.1.2. The current version is 2.1.4

2 Likes

It’s a good thought but mine continued to act completely normally when using the WS view app so that was part of the reason why I didn’t realize it had stopped sending events to Hubitat.

Did you apply the firmware update for the ecowitt that came our recently? All mine droped off the net after the update and required a reboot.

I reset the gateway and now I can't get it to re-connect to the network so I think the board might be fried. When I go through the app it won't find the gateway.

any thoughts?

No I did not know that it had firmware that could be updated. I need to get it back on the network before I can do that. It won't connect right now so I think it might be fried.

Thanks though

R

Thanks, I need to get it to connect again before I can update it.

It does not want to re- connect.

Thanks though

Rob

you might consider writting a rule like this

1 Like

Do you have a single SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? If so, 2.4 GHz-only devices can get confused.

or this rule if you want to get fancier.. old was writtin in legacy rule machine and i dont feel like changing.

Have you had any luck getting your gateway up and running @user559 ?

No it won't connect to the wifi anymore. I have tried both Android and IOS and when I go through the startup procedure it says that there is no device recognized. I have bought two more as well as another implant to measure T so I have a back up in the event one fails again.

thanks for checking though

Rob

No worries. I have heard good things about the EcoWitt support, so it may be worth checking with them as well. If it's still under warranty they may consider a replacement.

I have not upgraded the code on mine either yet and mine dropped off months ago and hasn’t reconnected. I’ve upgraded firmware and rebooted and even verified the same IP / MAC and it’s still isn’t checking in. @sburke781 have you removed any of the original code or just added to it? I may be one of the only people running a separate node.js container on my NAS for ecowitt to
Communicate with my tempest. I want to uograde but I want to continue to use this local communication method as well.

1 Like