Hubitat in Europe (Germany) with Eurotronics Radiator Thermostats

tested pairing moving the device from 10 cm to 3 m (line of sight): failed

Hey
I have 6 of them 4 old version and 2 new. All are working quite ok. I use the driver from here: [Port] Enhanced Z-Wave Thermostat (CT-100 w/ Humidity and Time Update) but I fix few things and added configuration parameter and valve attribute.

I have few problems like 2 times all my zwave devices disappear but after reboot were back and fighting to reconnect one of them after a reboot
I general they are usable.

I do not use scheduler I calculate my on temperatures and set them directly to each thermostat I need. To have everything properly I add delays between commands

After the C7 update to 2,42.4 the situation is still the same: no pairing. My last doubt is about z-wave module failure. @Mr.Olsen @laurian.cuzma Do you have EU z-wave band? Which steps you followed to pair? I've enabled the hub to pair and then pushed the boost button for starting the count down (from 120...) but when it expire the procedure fails.
Thanks

I am in EU with EU hubitat. I did nothing special. I just put hub in z-wave inclusion, then start on thermostat countdown. I think in less than 20 second thermostat was paired. I have a C5

Hi.

I have just setup the Eurotronic Spirit ZigBee Thermostat with my hubitat C5 (older version of the device) and it works fine. You need to select the "Zen Thermostat" driver once you set it up.

Good luck.

1 Like

Hello all,
I did successfully setup an Eurotronic Spirit Zigbee eTRV on hubitat using the zen driver.
My only concern / confusion is that it opens/closes the valve partially based on the temp differential between the temperature of the internal sensor and the setpoint

this is not very smart and not very useful.
I am keen to know what others have been doing with this

Hello @ stefanoschiavi00,

The Eurotronc TRVs (also Aeotic, Danfoss, POPP, Fibaro, etc.. eTRVs ) are fully autonomous thermostats that feature built-in PID control algorithms. The main benefit of such TRVs should be the smooth proportional regulation of the radiator temperature, respectively the room temperature by fine adjusting the flow of the hot water. If everything operates as supposed, a PID controller should be able to provide much more precise temperature regulation, if compared to a simple ON/OFF regulation. There should be no big overheating, no big under-heatings..

Unfortunately (at least in my case) Eurotronic TRVs do not work reliably... The main problem that I observe is that the TRVs seem to be 'losing calibration'' with the time, leaving the radiator valve not completely closed even when the device reports that the valve is open 0%. This happens with all my 3 Eurotrinic z-wave TRVs, usually after a day or two of normal operation, and results in overheating.

A workaround for this problem seems to be performing a sequence of:

1. 'Boost' (completely open the valve)
  2. 'OFF' (completely close the valve)
  3. 'Heat' ( normal automatic operation).

Performing every day the above sequence of commands ( either manually from the TRV knobs or on an automatic schedule from RM4 ) seems to patch the overheating problem for now...

This is a sample graphic of one of my TRVs:

There were better graphs showing in a much more visual way the tendency of how the valve loses the closed position calibration, unfortunately, I don't' have screenshots from the previous days.

It may be simply bad luck purchasing 3 faulty Eurotronic TRVs, but definitely, for me, this device is NOT something that works out-of-the-box.

BR,
Krassimir

Hi,
Im struggling with thermostat configuration. It looks good in the device configuration, showin temperature etc but Im not able to make it workin in dashboard - do not see arrows for changing temperature :frowning: It worked once and then I had to remove device and set it up from scratch and now not able to control this device from dashboard

Any clue what need to be done?

Thank you in advance,
Zbigniew

What device driver are you using?

Tried generic zigbee thermostat and zen thermostat. The device is zigbee version

Sorrry, don't know anout the zigbee versions, mine are z-wave plus model. But as a suggestion, try again Configure and Refresh buttons from the device page... The driver should report back some capabilities, needed for the dashboard to control the thermostat...

as example:

thank you for sharing, the more I look at these solutions the more they seem just hacks for programmers that want to waste a lot of time fixing them.
We are far far away from a working solution that doesn't require hacking, this is a shame.

2 Likes

I removed and reset this thermostat. Rediscovered - changed driver to zen thermostat, changed mode to heat, played with configure button and finally all options available

Thanks for advice :wink:

1 Like

My rule function the trvs

1 Like

which is why I gave up, and went with something that will always work.

Its a good idea, I'm running a combi boiler and don't have a storage tank. If I used that system it would flood the boiler with cold and cause it to cycle.
I find the trv works well, just had to find the sweet temp where the room feels nice, taking into consideration the sensors proximity to the hot radiator.

I read your solution but it does involve a good deal of hacking / installation too. I mean I could do all of this but considering the amount of time I would be wasting on this I am better off working and getting paid and afford for something like netatmo, it's abuot 8x more expensive but it just works out of the box with no hacking

1 Like

I installed one eurotronic spirit zigbee just to see how it would do and when the radiator starts it registers an internal temp of up to 26 celsius when the room is still 20c
this is absolutely not workable

So when you want 20 in the room set it to 26, the driver i use let's you put in a off set to adjust or calibrate it

What is the name if this app for setting rules? Is it availabke oob ?