Hubitat - How much can be seen?

Nope.. with lynx using the gopher protocol. LOL

4 Likes

For those youngsters that don't know anything about gopher it was created in 1992 by a bunch of college kids.

The design of the Gopher protocol and user interface is menu-driven, and presented an alternative to the World Wide Web in its early stages, but ultimately fell into disfavor, yielding to the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP). The Gopher ecosystem is often regarded as the effective predecessor of the World Wide Web.

1 Like

This is EXACTLY why I love this community. Make that joke in ST's communities and there might be a total of 3 people that would get it.

With that said, supposedly there are still ~350+ gopher servers running around still (according to Veronica). Time to refresh that collection? LOL

2 Likes

gopher is still around but it's mainly for nostalgia.

So this should tell you guys just how old I could be...

My first email account was with HoTMaiL and the only way to get to it was via gopher back then, that was in 1996. I still have the same account.

3 Likes

That and your profile picture.

Computers became a hobby for me in the early 90’s using bbs’s.

3 Likes

Yeah, that would put us close to the same age group. My first true "email" account was on FidoNet in 1992 and then I moved over to CompuServe in 1994.

2 Likes

FIDO !!!! Now that's old school :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lol I have fidonet linked in my BBS today.

It’s still active.

2 Likes

You still run a BBS ?

Seriously?! LMAO! That's actually awesome! F*** all these kids and their "interwebz" crap! LOL

1 Like

I have fond memories from a auto-dialer I download from a BBS.... great times searching for other computers back then. Would start it just before bed and wake up with a fresh batch of possible hacks !

Grab yourself SyncTerm and telnet into bbs.clutchbbs.com .

It will bring back some good memories. :wink:

2 Likes

Alright... which one of us is gonna write a driver to pull the latest feeds from there...? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

At the University of Minnesota. In 1993, I wrote a gopherd for Phil Karn's KA9Q NOS that ran over DOS.

Farhad Anklesaria (from UoMinn) helped me quite a bit.

3 Likes

What is the IP transport/mechanism by which you access the logs and diagnostic data? Im guessing you are able to execute commands on the hub over its websocket to make it upload these logs to the cloud? or is there a back door for ssh with a port held open on NAT?

Sorry, we're not going to provide details about this out of an abundance of caution with respect to security and privacy.

9 Likes

[quote="bravenel, post:19, topic:26392"]
We can't see your...lock codes[/quote]

This would be only if encryption is enabled in the lock driver correct? Otherwise the lock codes will be shown in the log when used, aren’t they, or is that only when debug is enabled? Basing that question on my memory alone at the moment.

bravenel

(Hubitat - How much can be seen? - #43 by bravenel)
jon1Owner

What is the IP transport/mechanism by which you access the logs and diagnostic data?

Sorry, we're not going to provide details about this out of an abundance of caution with respect to security and privacy.

Security through obscurity.

Long track record of being the right choice...

corerootedxb

7h

My first email account was with HoTMaiL and the only way to get to it was via gopher back then, that was in 1996. I still have the same account.

Yeah, that would put us close to the same age group. My first true "email" account was on FidoNet in 1992 and then I moved over to CompuServe in 1994.

First email address at work? Hmmm... 1987, with UUCP bang paths (y'all can google that).

1 Like

OK, call it proprietary information that we choose not to disclose, if that makes you happier.

5 Likes