Hubitat - How much can be seen?

Curious, does anyone know how much information on our hubs can be seen by the Hubitat staff?

1 Like

Probably a question best asked directly of the Hubitat Staff. @bravenel or @bobbyD can probably answer that question.

2 Likes

I’ve got nothing to hide !

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder too, for the sake of wondering, and it'd be interesting to know, they can probably see quite a bit, but only for troubleshooting. I don't feel like there's a lot of personal information on it except maybe location. Should I care what they can see? I guess if it were to become vulnerable to the outside world, then maybe my life 360 token or harmony might be at risk?

3 Likes

I guess it depends what you consider “personal”. The hub knows what time I leave for work, when I get home, when I am not home but left doors open or unlocked, what time I go to bed, when I’m out of town, etc., etc. it might not have my name and address, but you could sure learn a lot about me by my device usage patterns!

The most intrusive thing they can know from mine is when I get up to pee at night.

5 Likes

Good point, well made. DAMN YOU! Now I gotta care about another thing! :wink: It's probably not the staff you have to worry about. It's someone from outside gaining that access that would be the problem. I do hope hubitat has great system security.

1 Like

It sure beats the heck out of ST! All of that information in Samsung’s cloud. Come to think of it, I guess all of the HE info is also in the cloud, right? And with Homebridge integration it’s also in Apples, and Amazon’s with Alexa :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Now I'm worried. If it's in Apple's hands, it's bound to be leaked. Good thing HE doesn't sell hubs through Target. :wink:

1 Like

No, your hub's data is not in the cloud, except for the cloud integrations you enable on the hub (e.g. Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, etc...) The Hubitat cloud server is used essentially as a relay node, to bridge your hub to the internet, but only when necessary (e.g. cloud Dashboards, Mobile Presence, Push Notifications, etc...) No data from your hub is stored on Hubitat's cloud server (per previous discussions with the Hubitat Staff), and Hubitat does not keep or sell any user data. User Privacy is one of Hibitat's priorities.

6 Likes

At least I’m not syncing my doors and motion sensors with Amazon or Apple. Of course Alexa and Siri are listening to me, so they know that info anyway. You had to bring this up didn’t you. :rofl:

HELP !

The paranoids are after me !

LOL

3 Likes

Thanks for the information. It’s good to know it’s me that is the weakest link in my privacy!
One of the reasons I switched to HE was the privacy invasion, then I went and completely forgot about it.

2 Likes

Definitely your Harmony. BTW, I'm setting you up with 8 hours of quality programming. I hope you like "The 700 Club".

6 Likes

I'd personally prefer MAS*H or Hogan's Heroes. ... If I have a choice?

7 Likes

Now we're talking, Colonel Klink!

4 Likes

I just can't resist making this comment and I have to add that it's lucky that we had a .... guardian angel... shall we say, that sought out vulnerable hubs, sent commands to their hubs and then came here and bragged about it. Always reassuring that someone's got your back. Right?

4 Likes

And entirely fitting for the Hogan's Heroes motif, he might have been German too.

2 Likes

Very little.

It should be obvious that we can see the registration information when you register the hub. That includes its Hub UID, mac address, ip address, the name you've given the hub, the platform software version, the hardware version, when the hub was registered, when it was last active (to our cloud), and your email address used to register the hub.

We can't see your location information. Your device and app event data is not sent to our cloud and is not available to us. We cannot see tokens, pins, lock codes, passwords, usernames, etc. We cannot see how you have set up your apps, app status or device details (which is why we ask you to show us these things here in the forum). We cannot see your comings and goings from the mobile app presence, your mobile location, or your Dashboards, geofence, etc.

When you contact support, we can access internal hub logs and diagnostic data if your hub is connected to the internet. These logs would show stack traces to help us diagnose crashes, and some errors (most errors show up in your Logs, which is why we ask you to show those here in the forum). What little we can see is only for the purpose of providing support.

We have designed Hubitat Elevation to protect your privacy. If we can't see your data, no one else can see it either. It stays on your hub.

25 Likes

pretty sure they know where you live from your geofence info.:smiley:

Edit - OOPs just saw bravenet's post! scratch my comment on geofencing

1 Like