Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

I personally use 8 x Xiaomi sensors and they are rock solid, but it's obviously dependant on your zigbee mesh network being setup to support Xiaomi end devices. If your not then i'd look elsewhere.

I just keep hearing bad things about Xiaomi “Zigbee” devices so I didn’t know whether to steer clear of them or not. Though I do have some IKEA repeaters and I understand that Xiaomi works well with those. But is it worth the gamble? I just saw someone yesterday post that while the price point of Xiaomi devices is very tempting, the effort of having them more than makes up for the price difference to other devices.

Might be worth you getting 1 doesnt have to be a water sensor maybe a Xiaomi button (they are handy as) just to see how you go? Not much of an outlay then to try it out. I have a bunch of Xiaomi sensors and none have ever dropped off for me, in fact I had more issues with Samsung ones than I did with Xiaomi until I rolled out more IKEA repeaters then they were solid but Xiaomi from the beginning never dropped.

I definitely don't think they’re worth the hassle.
With a solid mesh you’d not have any issues adding a SmartThings sensor.
I just don’t think you can say that so confidently about Xiaomi sensors.
I treat my HE system as “part hobby” but even so, my time is precious.

1 Like

Agreed, I'd rather spend more now, and make sure it sticks. I want no hassle hobbies.

1 Like

See I think there’s danger in those words. :kissing_closed_eyes:
1 x xiaomi device “might” work and not cause any discernible issues but it then might entice the purchase of other sensors which appears to exacerbate or create problems.

However done with planning, care and additional hubs (they're non-standard Zigbee) they can be used !

Water leak sensor.
Approx. $31. Right now !!

I only said that because it depends on HIS setup mate not mine, for me I have them outside and inside and none have ever dropped they are some of my most reliable sensors but it's important that HE has a mesh that can support them so spending $15-$25 for a single sensor to see how he gets on I wouldn't think isn't unreasonable. Anyways just my 2cents just as the rest of you have thrown in too.

2 Likes

Totally. Eyes wide open. :grinning:

2 Likes

why not just set a fire tablet.
camera works for motion sensing - has a browser preloaded and cheaper than that.

1 Like

haha glad you still like your Fire tablet, they are pretty darn awesome hey :slight_smile:

cant beat them for bang for ya buck

1 Like

here was that link

1 Like

Ha, Doesn’t even appear to have the RCM compliance logo on it !

Although, I just thought of a use for one of the oomi power outlets I’ve just ordered. I could plug a tablet power pack into it and schedule battery charging times for off peak or when generating Max solar. LOL.

These xiaomi devices do take a bit of care to set up for sure. However it's been 3 months since I rebuilt my mesh (setting optimal channels etc) and only 1 dropout from an aqara motion sensor which was connected to a repeater with a low LQI.

I will get 1 or 2 of the smarthings sensors because their vibration sensitivity is apparently way better than the xiaomi vibration sensors (which are no good by the way)

1 Like

Yeah I’m going to put one of the ST multi-sensors on my Mains Powerboard door.
Just cause I can. :rofl:

Hi all,

Mike here from Sydney! :slight_smile: :australia:

I just got my Hubitat on Friday, loving it so far, moved all my sensors off ST, just picked up a few Zigbee repeaters from Ikea, they seem to be working well.

I just ordered this Zigbee switch off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B078M49TZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll let you know how it goes after its installed.

(Also how did you all get those Aussie flags on your profile pictures?)

1 Like

Smartthings has just started being sold in NZ. JB Hifi doesn’t have anything Smartthings but Noelleemings does. However, they don’t have the water leak sensor. Neither does Samsung NZ. I cannot find anywhere that has the Smartthings sensor that will ship to NZ either. Being this far away from the rest of the world is both a blessing and a curse.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but would one of you fine fellas be prepared to get a few of these sensors for me and send them to me?

Welcome,

You should be able to join the Australia/NZ group here.

The Nue switches have built in drivers so you shouldn't have issues with them.

3 Likes

This might be of interest to someone here. Recently I purchased some of these Bunnings 1gang switches, they come in 1gang, 2gang, 3gang, 4gang, PowerPoints the lot. When I opened the packet I was pretty impressed with the overall quality, the button is nice as well. You can turn the white side led off if you like so nothing is presented in dark rooms and the centre blue led is tied to the relay when it's on only so again not an issue in a dark room when off.

Anyways I flashed these with Tasmota using Tuya Convert. You can watch the entire video here on how to do that it's well detailed. In relation to HE support you can find the drivers for them here.

2 Likes