Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

I kinda like it. I use it as a general interest thread that I can dip into to learn something new. Often it's peculiar to Australia like a particular retailer selling something or a way things are done around here. If I wanted info on something particular, I'd search for it. Here, I jump in and have a browse. Occasionally a search leads me back to a post here. I'm ok with that. I've also had good people help me out like @njanda to whom I sent some Fibaro switches to test out for me and help get them working. I don't know that would have happened without this thread.

4 Likes

I use it as a bit of a one stop shop unless I'm hunting a specific issue and it helps me plan etc eg the new house fitout stuff

2 Likes

@stevebott123
How did you get along with the fan controller?

Aye - very well.
The touch controls im not super impressed with. They need to be pressed with some force/in the "right" location and the setup instructions were weird (keep pressing the off button to enter pairing mode) which I presumed was to keep hitting off constantly, but it just meant keep your finger on the off part until it blinks.
Other than that - ive had 0 issues with them and setup some temp rules for them.
The one requirement from the mrs was for them to be manually controllable as she doesnt want them running 24/7 automatically.
So ive setup a VS called "auto" for each fan, so if auto=on, and the PS for the fan is turned on then automatically control the speed based on temp, but if auto=off then you can control the speed manually.

So in review,
build quality 8/10 - panel is not overly sensitive
ease to pair 10/10 - once you can work out how
reliability with HE - 10/10 - had 0 issues with connectivity
Cost - 10/10 - they are like $60 delivered off amazon

2 Likes

Thanks for the update...

I have same requirement from mrs that they are manually controlled via wall.. and i will also have a temp sensor (hue) controlling the fan

Do you have an integrated light on same controller or just on a dumb switch?

The touch controls worries me, can already hear the mrs complaining touch controls not working :weary:

1 Like

I got them to put the dumb switch next to the smart fan controller.
that way if i want to take the fan controllers with me I can just put dumb fan controllers back.
look - to start with I was kinda annoyed with the response, but once you know where to press and how hard then they work out.
They are very "cost effective" devices though, but once they are in they work great.
i'd buy more of them after using them and the mrs has got used to using them now too.

2 Likes

decisions decisions....
I havent showed the mrs the fan speed controller yet.....so not sure if it will be approved!!!!! :stuck_out_tongue:
I did find this diagram on the Homey Athom forum......
i would make the momentary wall switch control a light.
Its an expensive way of doing things tho!
fan%20control

Hi Nic. Random question - what's TOC?

Total Cost of Ownership.
:blush:

Upfront cost is not the only cost to getting a high WAF.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. As in the time you have to invest in getting the damn things to work?

Yeah, I'm hearing ya. I'm slowly learning that paying a little more up front can save in hours of frustration - hours you'll never get back. :+1:

If only I learnt that lesson when I started using MS operating systems 30 odd years ago. I'd shudder to learn the number of hours I've spent getting computers to work as intended.

1 Like

Extra time, extra repeaters, extra hubs etc

On thing to consider which I didn't really think about originally is power monitoring. This is for devices like non smart washing machines, dishwashers etc to let you know when there are done so you don't forget about it.
Multi sensors that can do illuminance and motion are great for lighting automation as you don't want your lights to turn on if it is already bright. You can always create rules based on the time but they are never going to work as well.
Do some research on what people have created with Arduino this can give some great ideas about solutions that you are never going to buy off the shelf.

Out of interest did anyone here ever trial the new Sonoff Basic ZBR3 (Zigbee version) with Xiaomi sensors to see if they worked together alright?

Received one last week @jchurch and it paired with the hub no worries at all. I'm planning on running it to control my alfresco lights and have a Xiaomi door sensor turn it on. I can't see why it wouldn't work but will let you know when i get around to installing it, hopefully today sometime.

2 Likes

Excellent I look forward to hearing how you go.

Other than the nue zigbee light controller are there any smaller (size wise) Aus approved zigbee (or even wifi) controllers (just to switch lights, dimmer not required) out there or would I have to go Aotec and z wave?

I've either used the Nue lights or regular light switches with Aeotec relays behind them in the wall

Can confirm it works fine @jchurch . It uses the Nue Zigbee Switch driver and the Xiaomi sensors trigger it fine and pretty quick.

2 Likes

Thanks, was hoping to find stuff smaller than the nues but at about the same price point, if that's possible.

The Aotecs look nice but gee they're pricey!

1 Like