Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

I'm in the good books at the moment as we now have motion lighting in the garage managed by the hubitat with voice via google home and the xmas lights are voice via google home also with a Samsung button for override. I've also given her a Samsung button she can push that pages me via the google mini's for her to test as a doorbell option.

2 Likes

Nice work mate. Yeah my missus at first thought I was nuts but now shes completely adopted it. I think she's enjoying the tablet/dashboard I installed and the motorised blinds that we had installed Wednesday this week. btw, I use a button for the doorbell too and it works a treat hey!

Is it wrong to mount a motion sensor with Blu tack? Seems to squeeze nicely into the corner though, and seems pretty secure. Obviously can lose its sick overtime though. How else are people mounting sensors?

3M command strips.

1 Like

That was my next thought, but couldn't work out a neat way of corner mounting say a hue or smartthings motion sensor using 3M.

If you know someone with a 3d printer it would be a doddle, or maybe get a wood block from Bunnings and cut it at a 45 deg angle? I've got an cheap 3rd party arlo mount from ebay coming to mount the hue outdoor sensor off my outside wall. As it's got a swivel I should be able to angle it precisely.

I just used Tuya Conver 2.0 for 2 x Brilliant smart bulbs and 1 x Brilliant smart energy monitoring plug. I prefer both of these over the Tp-Link rubbish so if anyone is keen I suggest you give it a shot.

I just don't have a Raspberry Pi yet, so no way of flashing it atm. The tplinks are ok though, certainly well built, if a little bulky

No Pi? I thought every house had at least one :stuck_out_tongue: . Ah right , If anyone wants to buy my tp-link energy monitor plug I'll offload and use the monnies for another Brilliant plug. Just let me know :wink:

1 Like

Apart from the size what don't you like about the TP-Link?

IMHO I have found my 1 single tp-link device always leaves something in the HE logs of a re-connection etc I have resolved it mostly by removing the cloud connection and associated HE apps but still I've had to fool around with it way more than a flashed Tuya to Tasmota device. I also know people who have found it slow down and or crash their HE from time to time. In addition, I prefer Tasmota devices as I can completely "black hole" the devices onto an isolated VLAN yet still manually download and update them as required with ease. Anyways just my preference/standard in the house but I am sure other's will likely feel different.

EDIT: The Tasmota Brilliant plug is pulling energy states on the plug itself but the HE driver needs some work as I believe it's specifically based on the Sonoff POW driver. Anyways I have reached out to the author. I will let people know if he gets it working :call_me_hand:

Alright so I have the Brilliant energy monitor plug working in HE with Tasmota. I had to grab a driver from the Samsung Smartthings forum and do a minor edit for it to function in HE. Anyways tested and working with my dish washer for energy monitoring notifications.

Steps are:

1. Flash your Brilliant energy monitor plug with Tasmota 7.1 (latest) using Tuya Convert 2.0
  2. Once your plug is connected to your network connect to it and update the template to Brilliant BL20925
  3. Import this HE driver and change the IP address to the devices IP GitHub - jchurchward/Hubitat

At a high-level that's essentially it. Enjoy all!

1 Like

@jchurch, ever played with this IP44 rated version https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-ip44-outdoor-smart-plug-energy-meter/ ?

No I haven't but I'd imagine it would work the same way. I couldn't see a Tasmota template for this one but the other Kogan one might work.

https://blakadder.github.io/templates/kogan_smarterhome.html

I've got these new ones and the template needs to be the same as the Brilliant one @jchurch posted so you should be able to find one that works.

Cheers,
I might just have to give the IP 44 rated ones a crack then.

My TP Link switches have not missed a beat.

1 Like

nice to see Kevin (3a) listing devices with hubitat in the title :wink:

1 Like

Any idea if these plug sockets make good repeaters?

And speaking of sockets, will Ikea every bring theirs into Australia?

I can confirm that the Nue products specifically the wall switches and power points make excellent repeaters and also repeat Xiaomi products really well too. I have 13 Nue switches in my new house including multiple Xiaomi products around the house. Anyways i'd be surprised if the plug in sockets wouldn't be the same.

1 Like