Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Yep, the lamp says 350lm @ 2700K.

I asked Sengled Customer Support why they're not on the website etc and they said "they are a new model and the marketing team are in the process of including them on our page."

Not sure how I missed these! $15/$20 is much closer to my price range :smiley:

How have you got the ikeas integrated into your HE ?
Via a hue bridge or another HE bub to ensure they donโ€™t start trying to act like a repeater ?

Yeah joined em into the hue bridge. Work ok, dimming not quite as smooth as other hue but acceptable where I'm using them

I have been running 2 x Ikea bulbs directly on HE for a while now and I haven't had any issues with them. Do you guys find they drop off the network or cause issues for other devices or something?

Iโ€™ve not got any ikea lamps Iโ€™ve only got Sengled because of the ZLL + Touchlink versus ZHA protocol stuff, Iโ€™ve read.
ZHA stuff seems to work with pretty much all sensors, lamps, locks etc.
ZLL apparently doesnโ€™t repeat the home automation stuff, sensors, locks etc very well Possibly due to their smaller routing table capability.
Folks have overcome issues of random drop offs by segregated networks with ZLL stuff paired to a Hub and ZHA stuff paired to another hub. Then linking the hubs.
Whether this is just the easiest way to avoid ZLL devices grabbing ZHA signals, I dunno.

1 Like

Fair enough. On Zigbee I just use Xiaomi, Philips Hue, Nue switches and the Ikea bulbs and that's it but clearly they must operate well together. The rest of my sensors are WiFi.

I've just used the hue integration to separate off the bulbs and that works quite well. Apparently it's not a zll vs zha issue, more just some bulbs repeat poorly, depending on the size of your mesh. Also smart bulbs have a habit of being switched off by helpful family members which can mess with the routing for your sensors. Keeping them separate just helps manage it imo

True. That's actually one of the key reasons why I opted for the majority of our lights to sit behind smart switches over bulbs :wink:

Indeed. That's my strategy as well. Room lighting will be via z-wave switches/dimmers, Accent lighting is smart bulbs in lamps/pendants.

1 Like

Last night, I managed to get our recently installed outdoor blinds hooked up to HE, so it got my creative juices flowing about how I might use it. It occurred to me it might be cool to have an automation where, if it's looking like it's going to rain, that the blinds come down automatically. The most reliable source of weather in Oz is of course the BOM. So after a bit of research, I've discovered that you can call a URL with an embedded code for whatever weather station is near you and get a JSON response with the current weather conditions! Here's the call for Brisbane. Click on it and you'll see the response that comes back. If anyone's interested, I can point you to how you find the codes for your local weather station.

I thought that was really neat! One thing immediately comes to mind is that it might be simple enough to parse the data and extract the current weather (temp/humidity) and stick it on a tile in dashboard. I'm sure there are a bunch of other ways we could use this. I'm interested in any other funky ideas you guys might have. I'm a super noob at developing drivers but I'm keen to play around with this and see what I can come up with.

1 Like

Which blinds did you get? Who did it? Give me deets!!!

Damn it I see you're Brisbane. Ok which blinds though?

The blinds were installed by a mob called Aussie Outdoor Blinds. They have installers all over the country. The motors they use are made by a company called Alpha Motors. Mine came with an RF remote, so my initial hope was to learn the RF codes into a Broadlink or Sonoff RF Bridge but I discovered it uses a rolling code. So after some research (the installer knew nothing about it), I found a little box made by a Canadian company Neo that can be paired with the blinds. I got the box from the US this week and built my first HE driver to talk to it. I started another thread about it. So as of last night, I can send commands to either of the two blinds or both together. The Neo box also has an Alexa skill and Google Home integration, so can use voice to open/close them as well. The box is available locally but the cheapest I've seen is about $300. I got mine via a freight forwarding service (myUS) from a company called Blinds Galore in the US who had a 50% off sale (they seem to have them often). Landed all up cost was about $210, I think. Pricey but I couldn't resist. The little box can do your whole house. I don't know what the limit on the number of blinds is. I'm sure it's in their docs. Setup with the app was a piece of cake. I really like it.

1 Like

Interesting. Is it a local automation or do you have to connect to their cloud?

Yep, local. You send it a http command and it responds instantly.

How does it manage the rolling code?

They seem to have partnered with various manufacturers. When you first install the app, you have to give it an installer code that seems to be unique to a manufacturer. You then pair the box with each blind. The process is pretty straightforward.

How much was the alpha motor itself?

No idea. We were quoted them as part of the whole install with the blinds. I'll have to fish out the quote to see if they broke out the cost of the motors.

I found them repeating other devices and sometimes not passing the messages on (aka motion)

1 Like