Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

It seems our friend Kevin (3asmarthomes) has finally released a more powerful 1gang switch. I asked him a few months back if he had anything more powerful than 300w per switch as I wanted to control my 3 in 1 bathroom units but couldn't due to the heating bulbs being 275w each and I have 2 bulbs. Anyways maybe someone else is also trying to control something higher than 300w so I thought i'd let you know.

1 Like

4 Gang light switches are in too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey all, new here but been lurking for a while. Decided to pull the trigger on ordering the HE so I can start experimenting with it all before our new house is built mid next year! Looking to start off small to figure it all out, then hopefully have a good plan to roll out the whole house once built.

Noticed that IKEA have the TRADFRI signal repeater for AU now if anyone was wondering.

1 Like

hey @pippen.249, welcome welcome!
have you thought about what lighting you were going to go with for the new house ?

At the moment we've just got the builder putting standard bulbs in. Much cheaper to get a sparky in later to change to downlights if we want. Probably change out to smart GPOs at the same time. So got a bit of time to figure out the best options.

I've got a few Hue bulbs at the moment just running off the Hue Hub and Alexa. But at the moment they're more of a gimmick than helpful, as I've got no automations

This maybe of interest for those wanting to follow @jchurch's brilliant smart plug guide.
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/490908

1 Like

You sir are a legend. I've been procrastinating on preordering the Shelly dimmer and you've just sealed the deal for me.

2 Likes

I just wish there were more options with power monitoring.

I just posted in another thread about a 240V powerboard I'm looking at.
Given it's relevance to the Australian contingent here, I was hoping to see if anyone had any solutions around ethernet controlled powerboards in Australia before I spend a LOT of money on this.

Also, for what it's worth, I purchased the below from Bunnings yesterday.

Seems to work OK, but it's cloud based, so not ideal. Has anyone taken a look at trying to integrate this in to HE? I've literally only taken it out of the box and given it a test play with my mobile.
I've been digging around trying to find out more about what's inside them, but there isn't much info.

Happy days, my HE is arriving today! The fun begins :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Nice. Are there screws at the back e.g. can you open it up? I assume it has an ESP8266 or 8285 chipset inside meaning it's probably flashable with Tasmota which in turn will work within HE. If you look further up you can see I flashed a Brilliant smart plug the other day so if it's similar to that it's do-able.

Also Kmart have something similar too.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/mirabella-genio-wi-fi-powerboard-with-usb-ports/2737304?&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrrXtBRCKARIsAMbU6bEhu485yUrwyL_bhCEjsv5gxbCwKQ0pT9eC1o2UkkWjfZ-aqmZtbsAaAsbYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was able to open it (strange triangular head screws). I don't see anything labelled as you suggest. Photos attached.

Excellent that last picture shows that its running an ESP8285 chipset so you can follow my Brilliant guide to flash that. Once it's running Tasmota you'd need to work out the configuration first then in HE you should be able to edit the HE driver in my guide to accommodate the extra switches given it has more than 1.

1 Like

I might have to look into this.

1 Like

Look at the tickets on himself folks. Gosh lol. :grin:

1 Like

bahaha.. I was going to say "non puns intended" LOL

1 Like

Looks daunting. Not sure I have a sufficiently steady hand to solder that small!
The FTDI adapter in your link apparently will take up to 6 weeks to get to sunny old Melbourne, so I might try and see if there's somewhere local to buy them (I'm sure I will end up paying more than the $3 though)

Yeah can't say I'm super keen to get into pulling apart and soldering stuff. I like to tinker, but soldering does my head in. I imagine if you get into Arduino stuff you'd get pretty comfortable with it.

I just put the thing back together, and am trying to reset the thing, and it's just having none of it, and turning itself off when it's trying to hook up to the network again.
Interestingly, when I initially set it up it had a weird on/off/on moment the first time I fired it up, but it seemed to settle down.
The unit I have seems to have a few marks on it - maybe somebody already had problems with it and returned it? I might go back and swap it out for another one, or use this one as the sacrificial one to update the firmware on - not sure if that is starting behind the 8-ball given it's not working properly already.