Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Further to what @sanewton72 said, yes, neither Ikuu dimmers or wall switches require neutrals, but this comes with a price that should be understood. They will always switch a little slower than a neutral-attached device. Also, they energise themselves by sending small amounts of current through the load. This is not a problem with incandescent bulbs, or many LEDs, but I have several devices (an Arlec/Verve LED Oyster light and some older LED bulbs) that will regularly flash when the switch is off.

What I suspect is happening is that the control circuit in the light is charging a capacitor from the leakage current until it hits a particular voltage level, and then trying to start the bulb. There is enough energy for a quick flash, and then the voltages collapse and the cycle starts all over again. This flashing is generally between 1-3 second intervals.

There is no fix for this problem other than using a different device.

Note that this is not an issue with the Ikuu devices since Aeotec nano dimmers do exactly the same thing with these devices.

1 Like

Looks like that needs a neutral to work, and also has the hard-wired control link protocol built in as well. Based on the price, I suspect that Clipsal are taking the piss here. A normal 4 bedroom house might have 20 GPOs or more, as well as 10 assorted light switches, so over $5000 without any sensors at all. The Ikuu stuff would be well under half that.

Any flashing I've encountered with the Aeotec Nano Dimmer I've managed to solve by:
a) swapping the dimmer to trailing edge or vice versa
b) adjusting the minimum and maximum operating levels

I take it the Ikuu don't allow changing the same settings?

The sort of flashing that I am talking about does not respond to any of those things, those are usually experienced during dimming and "on" activities. I am talking about bright rhythmical flashing when the device is supposed to be "off".

I have had the poor dimming, flickering etc during on behaviour, but that is usually treatable as you say, or by using high voltage capacitors or dummy loads (although usually I have found that these are a bit hit and miss).

Unless you have experienced something that I have not?

Ah, a dummy load or "bypass" helped in those cases.

The bypass doesn't cure all issues though, and I prefer a real neutral where ever possible.

I just had a short training course on 'Wiser' from my Schneider rep. He was fairly open about its pros and cons. Gear looks good as you'd expect.
But TBH i can't get over the sticker shock. They're asking $300 for an IR xmitter. Wow. The amazing part was that they think their gear is competitively priced!
I guess they're used to Cbus margins, and so approach the whole Wiser range from that expectation.
One immediate benefit i do see is that the zigbee switch mechs can support 10A loads, which is nice particularly for heavier loads such as Tastic-style bathroom heat lamps...except you can only fit 3 of these large mechs behind one wall plate so there goes that particular application.
I also like that you can decide how you want the button LED to operate (i.e. LED on when switch off, or LED on when switch on). I really dislike that Ikuu switches only support having the LED on when the mech is on. When the light is on, I don't need a blue LED to let me know the lights are on. What I do want, is a blue LED to help me find the switch in the dark, especially when the Ikuu buttons are capacitative so you can't 'feel' for the right one without switching everything on.

1 Like

Aeotec nano switches, both single and double are both 10a relays. The issue with the low current capacity of the Ikuu stuff is because of their big positive, no neutral retrofitting. They don't have enough grunt to do relays, so they have to kind of bootstrap a solid state switch.

The Wiser stuff is probably reasonably priced for commercial gear, but completely out of the range for domestic, which is what it is aimed at as far as I can see.

Totally agree, and would love to see Ikuu provide a firmware update or something to fix that lack of feature

1 Like

yes, the clipsal wiser gear is indeed "aimed at low-end/residential" (even as he confirmed pricing in line with commercial). :slight_smile:

all said though, its good we're starting to get a range of zigbee options in this country...albeit at various price points.

2 Likes

@cometfish,

I noticed a whole lot of warnings appearing in my logs when the BOM driver is doing it's update. Have you (or others) seen something similar? Happy to dig around in the code myself, just thought I'd ask first.

dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.339 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 95%
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.333 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 Snow showers.
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.327 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 -2
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.321 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 6 to 15 mm
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.314 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 15
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.309 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:             
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.302 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:         
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.296 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:         
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.253 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:             
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.247 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 50%
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.241 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 Shower or two.
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.235 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 5
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.229 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 0
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.223 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 0 to 2 mm
dev:8392021-08-24 06:59:28.217 warnunexpected msg from child. parent state: idle msg:                 11

Thanks,
Simon

Is this BOM driver worth running compared to the other weather services?? I find the OpenWeatherMap driver to be just as accurate with weather and perfectly reliable.

It's been a while since I compared some of the other services, but for me they weren't particularly accurate. Might take another look.

No issues with mine - I'm not getting these messages.

1 Like

Just installed this. Temps seem consistent with BOM but the icon is off. Right now it's raining in Syd but the icons say "broken clouds". Hopefully @cometfish might add the 6 forecasts to his driver in the future :crossed_fingers: :wink:

1 Like

That happens when the FTP connection link has messed up, eg. if you reset the FTP connection halfway through receiving an update. The child device continues receiving the results line by line, but the parent device doesn't know what to do with it, so it spits it out to the log.

It definitely shouldn't be happening all the time... feel free to poke around with the code though.

2 Likes

Hi. Can anyone recommend an nz power plug that has power monitoring and works with hubitat that isnt overly expensive and isnt too large (doesnt prevent using another plug next to it).
Wanting to monitor power on the washing machine.
Thanks

I’m using the TP-Link Kasa HS110 plugs, https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/smart-home/smart-home-accessories/tp-link-tpl-kp105p2-kasa-smart-wi-fi-plug-slim-kit/prod202993.html

I haven’t got any of the new slim ones, but I believe they are small enough to not block out the outlet next to it.
There is a community app and driver for managing and connecting to the Kasa devices. Just be aware that the latest firmware update of the HS110 may lock the device in to cloud communications rather than having the choice of cloud or local. I would recommend leaving the firmware as it is and hoping that it is not already cloud bound. The drivers will still work with it, it’s just that you are now relying on the Internet to be working for your plug to work

2 Likes

Thanks but that model doesnt have power consumption measuring. They also aren't that cheap.
There is a 115 model that has power monitoring but again not that cheap imo

Sorry, I linked to the wrong model. The 110 has power monitoring, I think I linked to the 105.

I think there are some DLink WiFi ones as well, but I don’t know if they are supported on HE. You always have the Aeotec Z-wave plugs, but if you think the HS110 is expensive, you’ll fall over when you see the price of this one. Off the top of my head, I don’t know of any other NZ approved plugs