Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

This could be related to the issues Mike talks about in this thread on the Samsung plugs. He mentions there are some fixes coming in the next major platform release.

It doesn't.

Could be the battery itself, maybe it doesn't like sitting inside my letterbox or possibly been sitting around for a while before I bought it.

Sitting in the letterbox may make the signal weaker, which I think can also impact on battery drain...

Possible - The xiaomi I had in there before didn't complain except that events got missed. I've got some new panasonic batts on the way so when it dies I'll retest with new ones just to be sure.

1 Like

The Telstra outlets LOVE reporting power. I was testing one connected to my laptop dock and it was constantly reporting because the threshold was set at 100 watts and the dock was cycling power on and off.
Set it to 500 watts via the driver was better but disabled was even better.
I was concerned because all the reporting would be clogging up the Zigbee radio

1 Like

Sounds like you need a little solar panel charger on your mailbox :blush:

1 Like

That's just inviting someone to come rip it off :smiley:.

In any case the readings are going all over the place, it's dropped to as low as 65% and then gone as high as 95%. Still works fine so not going to worry about it until it stops working.

1 Like

Small flexible panel mounted vertically on the back side of your mailbox.....,
Less than a carton of beer

1 Like

No space there. My letterbox is basically large stand alone birdhouse (home made) so no where to mount it where it's not visible. Plus then I'd have to add all the extra electronics to power the sensor :dizzy_face:

EDIT: My local Aldi once had a clearance on some solar powered motion lights (like $7 or so) so I grabbed a couple just to rip out the 18650, charging electronics and the panel to power some external sensors) So it cost a couple of cans only :smiley:

1 Like

The whole reason I bought them was for their power reporting :slight_smile: . I need it for some washer/dryer rules. I will have to play around with it a bit once the 2.2.5 of Hubitat is released.

Yeah they should be good for that.
It was the laptop dock, via USB-C, pulse charging the laptop that screwed up my testing.
When connected to more typical loads they’re working fine and I’ve been able to tweak the power levels to where I get only a couple of reports, when I need them.

Are you getting correct readings on the power report? Just received my plugs and they're reporting 2600 watts on a fan that runs at 25watts. This on the generic zigbee outlet driver.

Yes they seem correct. EDIT: - No they don't !
I’ll do a test with a single light bulb as a load just the find out.

EDIT: just tested a 13w compact fluro lamp connected up to the Telstra device and the device said it was pulling 825w !!

what are / if any of you guys using to control your ACs?
I was using the original sensibos but they have cut off support for them and was thinking of just grabbing 2 broadlink beans to turn the ACs on and off unless anyone was using something better ?

I’ve got a Sensibo Sky v2, it works great. I think I saw they are $50 of ATM.

I tried a Remotec zxt-600 and it was garbage.

The telstra plugs get kinda hot just doing nothing. Makes me a little wary of putting it warmer places (like the garage)

Broadlink rm pro 2 for me and they work well with the hubitat add on. I also use rf for limited things so use the rm pro. Works well except that there is no guarantee there is a profile for all air cons in the add on for hubitat. The developer was very helpful and added two ac that differentiated from the profiles already included, but he's left now so no more development.. However you can learn each command seperately, just a long process if you want all modes, temperature and fan speeds learnt.

Yeah I noted that they get hot a few posts higher. Certainly hotter than I expected and it’ll likely shorten their life.
Designed obsolescence ???

I’ve been looking for my inline power meter to see what power they themselves consume but I must have left it at work because I can’t find it at home.

Did a quick test and they seem WAY OFF in power metering using the "Generic Zigbee Outlet" driver.

• a 13w Compact fluro lamp I had sitting around was shown to be pulling 825Watts via the Telstra device
  • my pool, which normally pulls about 1350 watts, is shown to be pulling 133263 via the Telstra device.

So I'm assuming they're out by 2 decimal places.
e.g:
Compact Fluro lamp should show 8.25 watts
The Pool should show - 1332.63 watts

Hi Njanda, as I previously posted the heat generated is due to the small transformer in the plug. All transformers generate heat and I suspect the use of the transformer over an electronic solution has more to do with space constraints than designed obsolescence. In fact the transformer solution may well offer greater longevity over the electronic solution.

As to the power reporting being off, I agree with you that this is a driver issue rather than an issue with the plug. As generic drivers are written to cover numerous devices there is often a gap to full functionality that a device specific driver would offer.

I am seeing a similar issue with the NUE RGBW Downlights. When connected to a Nue or Smarthings hub you can issue a command when the light is off, to turn it on with a specific colour. Using the generic Hubitat generic driver, as recommended in the compatibility table, the light must be turned on before you can change the colour.

Hi all, so much great advice in here already.

In Aus, building a house. Questions:

1. Hubitat suitable for a newbie? I have spent an hour of my life coding
  2. considering z wave has not joined Project Connected Home over IP should it be avoided?
  3. has anyone tried using predominantly wifi switches in aus? I realise this would require beefing up router and mesh network but could it work effectively? so many options are wifi
  4. In regards to zigbee switches we have the Nue switch but has anyone used hpm.com.au/switches-sockets/indoor/arteor-with-netatmo/ which I think are the same as these legrand.com.au/products/automation-systems/arteor-netatmo-smart-home
    do they work with Hubitat?
  5. Is shelly an option or a deal breaker re wifi?
  6. What infrastructure would you recomend? At the moment i have a DATA point to every tv. was planning on using mesh network to fill out wifi coverage.
  7. Builder was looking a Dahua cameras and Risco alarm system, haven't seen details yet but should I simply keep these seperate for now or look to set up my own and integrate it with Hubitat? See point one for my skill level.
  8. what is the best solution for smart blinds considering it is a new build?

Thanks all.