Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Yeah, I'm more of a software kind of guy.... :slight_smile: The electrical stuff and interference not really my speciality...

My experience may prove that the setting is not necessarily stored on the bulb... Not sure...

1 Like

Lol, I didnโ€™t realise this had spread to the other side of the ditch

1 Like

@markus Do you have a driver for the Hue 4-button dimmer switch by any chance?

I had issues with the IKEA repeaters dropping off my network when I was using the built-in driver, but theyโ€™ve been solid since I started using your generic Zigbee driver instead. Awesome work on your drivers by the way :beers:

I was hoping youโ€™d have a driver for the switch as well to see if that resolves my issues with them too

Itโ€™s supported natively by HE, they only thing not supported is long press.

I have 2 of them and they work great.

Sorry, no, I don't have one of those devices yet, Hue anything is not easily available here in China. At least not the same models as what exist elsewhere.

@jchurch Thanks so much for sharing this in this forum because otherwise I wouldn't be exposed to Smartly.

@markus, you are not the king for nothing. Thank you and I totally love the paw icon, nice touch! Keep up the good work. Please convey thank you to spelcheck. Apparently, myself as a new user can only mention 2 names :rofl:
LONG LIVE THE KINGS !!!

3 Likes

Your welcome. It completely changes the dashboard doesn't it , my wife and I absolutely love the new temp changing tiles it's really nice.

Anyone have any suggestions for smoke detectors / alarms to hook into HE? Looking to replace the old-school one I have now and thought I would get one that was smart and ideally wired into the power in my roof space, but don't want to fork out 3-400 for nest.

I have a xiaomi Honeywell smoke unit, however these are not approved for use in Oz so they only serve as auxiliary sensors not as my main ones. I also have a Nest unit bought really cheap and should work via node-red/homebridge. A nest protect is about $180 these days (still way too expensive I know - I got mine at Target at half this when they were running them out last year). Another alternative if you have a US amazon account is to use the echo's alarm recognition feature - not sure how well this works though.

1 Like

I use the Battery-powered nest Protect Gen 2's - they dont integrate with HE at all tho.

PS, they are great tho and last years on lithium AA's. The Path-light feature is handy for kids going to the toilet at night too.

1 Like

I was using the Roost WiFi batteries for a while (not with Hubitat, though). They seemed to work fine, and battery life was pretty good. (I actually had some issues with a couple of them, seemingly to do with a bad batch. Roost were quite responsive and sent me replacements.) App was pretty good. I stopped using them after we got a couple of "proper" detectors hard-wired into our new alarm system with back-to-base monitoring.

1 Like

They can (at least for the critical notifications) using node red (node-red-contrib-homebridge-automation) and homebridge with the nest plugin (I'll be installing this soon when I get a chance). I was literally just exchanging posts with @tmichael over at the pallete thread on this. :smiley:

EDIT - I must say the homebridge web interface is pretty slick!

2 Likes

hmm.... I may be coming around to the idea of the Nest. I should have known the $3-400 was only on the Google site, though even the $190 for the wired version on JB is still steep, as you say @rocketwiz. Maybe I'll look at it some more. I did see one reviewer comment about an electrician refusing the install the wired version because it was not double-insulated, so I may need to follow up on that. The reviewer exchanged it for the battery version.

Thanks again @rocketwiz, @jason-lane and @dJOS.

Simon

1 Like

I am also interested in this. Planning to buy a couple of Google nest protect but thinking if it cannot be integrated or automated with anything else, it's quite shameful.

@rocketwiz, is there a simpler way to connect this to HE? Noob here :sweat_smile:
Please keep us up to date with your progress

1 Like

Must be a pretty lazy electrician. A competent sparky should be able to easily rig up an appropriate junction box for the power cables to make this compliant (wouldn't be a clean look but who cares in the ceiling space!). The battery version is supposed to last up to 5 years but I see some reports on reddit about abnormal drain. :confused:.

It's really only designed for homekit compatibility. It's also not on googles new API program either. In any case you are stuck with having to use homebridge at the very least. If you have a newish apple device (IOS10 or newer I believe - iphone/ipad/apple tv) you can use these for automations to work (ie sending device states to HE) if you don't want to use node red.

1 Like

Iโ€™ve got dumb mains powered interlinked smoke alarms throughout the house. However, they also have a relay output and Iโ€™ve used that to connect them to an Arduino Mega which is connected to HE. Iโ€™ve got full visibility of them now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just be aware, it's illegal to replace wired smoke alarms with Battery-powered units here in Aus. You can only use battery-powered smoke alarms in houses that don't have wired alarms or as supplementary units.

1 Like

Woke this morning to find out that markus the king has been banned. What a shame :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :sob:

2 Likes

Why? :confused:

It would appear that all of people involved in certain new venture are suspended.