Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

This is an interesting point. In Canada, most shipments are by postal service, delivered by Canada Post, and they usually don't collect anything. But if a commercial carrier is used, they will definitely collect everything plus a fee for doing so.

All in, it's an odd mix of things, Looking at the AUS GST rules, it seems that an individual purchase of a hub is exempt as it is less than $1000. But, if we were to establish a distributor in Australia, or use Amazon, then GST would surely have to be collected on each sale. The tradeoff in part is shipping cost, as it is not cheap to ship a single hub to Australia/NZ as you have all discovered.

Speaking of shipping costs: for some reason the US Postal Service raised the price for a shipment to Australia a few months ago, but not to New Zealand. Go figure...

2 Likes

Actually GST is meant to be paid, it's just a question of whether the seller collects it or it's paid by the buyer/importer on entry. The $1k GST free threshold went out the door in 2018, unfortunately.

I too am looking forward to getting another HE so I have one as backup!

1 Like

Yep the 1K thing is now gone, also used to be an exclusion on items made from US steel, was good for me as I own a Jeep and at one point the AUD was worth more than the USD so I bought lots of steel bits made in the US and paid nothing extra on them, was getting them cheaper than Americans!!, even shipping was pretty good. Now, if it's an expensive item, I look locally first, or to Asia.

Anyone know if the Ring Keypad is available in Australia, or any region with the same Z-Wave frequency as ours? With the C7 supporting it I'd be interested in getting a decent keypad that is natively supported. I'm guessing it's not available here as no searches turn up the ing keypad but you never know.

I purchased mine late last year('19) and didn't pay any duty or GST.

I drop ship about $200,000 a year of small price items for resale from US and China and have never had an item stopped at customs

Hi All,

@markus has written the Nue dimmer driver too, you can find it here.

I know a couple of people have had problems with the Nue stuff but mine have been really good until the last couple of days. They still work fine but 3 of them the glass font panel is coming away from the plastic. It looks like the adhesive is failing.

I have 8 with no issues (1, 2 and 3gangs) and they have been installed now for about a year. I will keep an eye on the glass coming away from the plastic but so far they look the same as the day they were installed. I have these and the Bunnings smart switches both are good.

EDIT: if I was starting out now though i'd personally just go the Bunnings switches as they are easy to obtain, I like the look and they work really well. Although I would miss the blue leds as I find them useful in the dark :slight_smile:

Anyone know of any light switches that don't require neutral that are compliant for Australia? I have some Rf ones that have compliance, and I also have 2x fibaro dimmers. The latter is an expensive switch by the time you add the clipsal push button fascia/panel. Was hoping to find some reasonable priced options without needing to add a neutral.

I’ve had mine for nearly a year. Soon after I received them the glass panel came off on one and the manufacturer advised to attach it with a few drops of super glue. I did that and all good. No further issues.

1 Like

Yeah i think i may need to do the same.

I bought a Bunnys 2 gang 6912HA as it sounded like they could be flashed OTA. After wasting an hour trying, it appears this one can not :pensive:. If anyone else was counting on flashing them, just a note of caution. Looks like it is time to get a jig. At least then I can do some 3 and 4 gang switches too I guess...

You dont need a jig. I've managed to do it without one. It's pretty simple, follow the instructions here: (not my site).

2 Likes

I've done one that way, but found trying to get the pins and timing right very tedious. I needed 4 extra hands. I ended up using one of the kids to help, but I don't think they will do that again after I growled at them every time they moved. That said, there was much celebrating when the stars finally aligned! Maybe I'll give it one more try with the bent pins method...

OK. I have a "thing" that seems to bend the pins inwards making it much easier. I found it in my box of goodies. It would have been hard without it. I've done it 6 or 7 times now.

Who's ordered their new C7's (other than @dJOS and me)?

1 Like

I would have if I could get a Ring keypad that supports our Z-wave as I would really like a fully supported keypad. Might still but no rush for me at the moment.

Those Ring keypad's do look nice, that said if you run Zigbee have you considered the Iris keypad you can find them here. I have one and it works great.

I have the iris keypad but it seems to drop off the network all the time, or rather take minutes to respond. It's Ok after a reboot but then within a day it might take two or three minutes to send the signal to Hubitat/HSM after I use the keypad to turn off/on the HSM, a right pain when you open the front door and want to disarm :wink: Hoping the Ring keypad is better as all other devices respond straight away. I now use a hidden zigbee button when I come in the door and it does the job and is instant but I'd like a keypad as it's more secure etc.

1 Like

I had my Iris keypad and Schlage zigbee doorlock drop off the network in the beginning but once I rolled out IKEA repeaters never had a problem again. I also wired my Iris keypad into PoE given i had it in that location and that's been great too.

1 Like