Hubitat Elevation Model C-7 introduction & when will Model C-8 be introduced?

What is the expected lifetime of the Model C-7 before it is replaced by the Model C-8? WIll the C-8 have improved Kasa integration?

Thank you

Hubitat never announces their hardware plans. At the most recent Hubitat Live, it appeared as if a firmware update would bring Matter compatibility to the C-7.

The Kasa integration is actually a community integration from @djgutheinz that is now built into the platform. @djgutheinz is constantly improving his code or updating it to add support for additional devices, so I would suggest you use his Kasa thread to request new features or support for new devices. I've linked to it below:

9 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. I purchased a Hubitat Elevation US Version × 1 in mid 2021 not paying attention that it didn't work with the Kasa world devices until I was ready to start to use it. Can the V1 be upgraded to a firmware version to incorporate Kasa integration. Is there a chart somewhere that shows the differences in devices. I am sure there are more features, however, it would be nice to know what improvements had been added to see if it would benefit a users use of the device.

The latest version of the firmware already includes the built-in Kasa Integration.

On the App page, click the "Add built-in app" button and search for Kasa.

5 Likes

There are only four five models of the hub to date:

• C-3 and C-4 (introduced January 2018): the original models, identical except the C-4 has the screenprinted logo on top that is now on all hubs; no internal radios (added via one or two USB sticks, usually included; hub has two USB ports), power via DC barrel connector
  • C-5 (introduced February 2019): slightly smaller form factor, ports reduced to micro-USB, and now has internal radios for Zigbee and 500-series North American Z-Wave (other regions--or really any--can use an external stick, as before, with an adapter to connect)
  • C-7 (introduced July 2020): internal Z-Wave radio upgraded to 700-series (with user-selectable region/frequency) and a new Z-Wave implementation on the hub side offering new features (S2, SmartStart, more informative Z-Wave Details page, the ability to do firmware updates on devices via the built-in Device Firmware Updater app, etc.). Zigbee and all else is the same as the C-5.

All hubs have similar specs, aside from the 700-series Z-Wave radio on the C-7. The C-5 and newer do run a more finely tuned OS that should eliminate some "scheduled reboot" workarounds some C-3/C-4 users put up with (and even probably some early C-5 users before some more work was done). The C-5 and C-7 also added some network options like the ability to connect the hub to your network over Wi-Fi instead of wired (adapter required and not included), though this isn't recommended if wired is possible.

But beyond Z-Wave (and networking) as above, pretty much every other feature is the same between hubs. Your example of the Kasa integration is one--as mentioned above, that was added in a recent hub firmware update, and so far, these updates have always been available for all hub models dating back to the orignal C-3.

EDIT: For those coming back to this post, there is one more model to add:

• C-8 (introduced February 2023): introduced external antennas, switched to USB-C power, internal Z-Wave radio upgraded to 800-series, new Zigbee implementation using Zigbee 3.0-capable chip and offering Zigbee migration (Z-Wave migration has already been available), internal Wi-Fi chip as alternative to wired connection, and offering Matter support starting in December of 2023
12 Likes

Think of it this way, if Hubitat move quicker than you expect, it's rare if not impossible a C-7 will not work with a new revision of the hub, based on prior history... So you could either use a C-7 as a second hub, linking it to a C-X via Hub Mesh, or use it as a development hub, and who doesn't need one of those.... :wink:

2 Likes

Yes any C7 can be updated to current firmware.
Most (if not All) of the "Kasa" branded devices are supported.

TP-Link also makes some other brands/lines of smart devices, which I think for the most part do not work on the Kasa integration.

1 Like

The Tapo devices I believe are part of that group.

2 Likes

I have updated the top of the Kasa Thread to be more explicit on supported devices.

'[DEPRECATED] Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb integration'

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.