Hubitat devices into Alexa

I'm trying to use a couple of Zigbee devices connected to Hubitat with my Echo routines but even if the Amazon Echo Skill lists said devices I'm unable to add them back to Alexa.

I followed the Hubitat instruction video, no new devices found.

Am I missing something? I thought that Hubitat was something like a "universal hub" to avoid using multiple ones for every device brand but I'm not sure anymore.

You’ll have to be a bit clearer on what you are trying to achieve. It sounds like your trying to trigger an Alexa routine from a Hubitat device. If that’s the case you need to be aware this can only be done through either a virtual motion sensor/switch device or a virtual contact sensor/switch device. You can find these on the forums with a quick search.

In general, I think it is better to keep automations within Hubitat instead of involving Alexa. Is whatever you are doing possible to do within Hubitat?

So you go to the Hubitat Apps tab, and select the devices, and hit "update" and nothing happens? Which devices are these? Alexa won't recognize certain devices, but things like light switches and outlets, and similar things for sure should be recognized.

For the most part, this is correct.

Can you share exactly what you are trying to do, and with which devices? Maybe there is something that you are missing with how the hub is supposed to work.

I tried creating a virtual device for a switch and one for a motion sensor but still no luck porting those back to Alexa, no new devices found.

Hubitat can't use all the wifi devices I have connected to Alexa so I'm back to square one.

All I need to to is to trigger routines when pressing a button or with a motion sensor, Hubitat has both the button and the sensor listed but nothing to use them other than triggering messages to my phone (sigh).

Ok, I had to test a few things out.

• Virtual and real motion sensors come through as temperature sensors for some reason? Maybe Alexa has gone stupid?
  • Virtual contact works fine.
  • Virtual switch works fine.

So my advice for the time being would be to make a Virtual Contact, and convert your motion to contact. I think this can be done using Rule Machine, and there may be a community app too.

You also might want to contact Hubitat support to see if they also see this same behavior with Virtual Motion and Alexa. support@hubitat.com

Thank you.

Once you add the devices to the Echo skill they are added to Alexa, you do not need to discover them in Alexa. As soon as you add the device in the HE Amazon Echo Skill and hit done you should get a notification on your phone that a new device has been added to Alexa.

Echo shows the temp icon for both motions and contacts but they work as motions or contacts. I am using both in Echo routines and do not need to have a virtual motion or contact in Hubitat.

I supplied Echo screenshots of this in another thread yesterday.

1 Like

Just to make sure it is clear... The Hubitat Alexa Skill is capable of being used to trigger Alexa Routines with Physical or Virtual devices. The type of devices that can be used as Alexa Routine Triggers are Contact Sensors, Motion Sensors, and Lock devices. This is an Amazon Alexa restriction, not Hubitat. Switch-only devices cannot be used as an Alexa Routine Trigger.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but this never happens, with or without my intervention, Hubitat devices are not available to Alexa.

If NO Hubitat devices are ever available to Alexa, then I would try starting over... In the Alexa App on your phone, please DISABLE the Hubitat Alexa Skill. On your Hubitat Hub, I would removed the "Alexa Echo App" and/or "Alexa Echo Skill" apps. Then, go back to your phone and ENABLE the Hubitat Skill inside the Alexa Mobile App. This will automagically install the correct Hubitat App on your hub, and allow you to add whatever compatible devices you have to Alexa.

1 Like

So on the Apps page you have the Amazon Echo Skill installed?

When you open the Amazon Echo Skill you should see a list of the devices you want available in the Alexa app. Once you add the device to this list and click DONE at the bottom of the page should then be available in the Alexa app. Nothing else to do after that. IF that is not happening then it sounds like your Alexa skill and HE are not linked properly.

1 Like

I’ll like this way, thanks

1 Like

I migrated from Smartthings to Hubitat. I also use a number of Alexa devices throughout the home.

1. All my Zigbee and Z-wave devices are connected directly to Hubitat. Although some newer Alexa devices act as Zigbee hub, I do not use it.

2. Any WiFi devices that can be connected directly to Hubitat are connected. For example, I have some TP-Link Kasa switches that use a community driver to connect to Hubitat.

3. I have both Lutron and Hue lighting. Those devices are set up with their respective hubs and then linked directly to Hubitat. Although Hue devices can be linked directly to Alexa, it is best to keep everything within Hubitat where possible.

4. I have two Hunter Simpleconnect Fans that use WiFI to connect through Ayla Networks. Currently, there is no way to connect the fans directly to Hubitat, so I connect them through Alexa.

5. I have a Logitech Harmony Hub that can be connected through Hubitat to control lighting, etc, but since I only use it to control my AV system, I have Harmony connected to Alexa, but not Hubitat.

6. I use Hubitat for all of my room assignments, routines, rules, etc. with the exception of those using the Hunter and Harmony devices. For those, I use Alexa routines. If I tell Alexa to turn on the den lights, she turns on the Hunter fan light along with the Lutron dimmer and the Hue bulbs.

Within Hubitat, download the Amazon Echo skill (not the older Amazon Echo app). Then activate the Hubitat skill in your Alexa app on your aphone, tablet, or computer. Then go into the Amazon Echo skill on Hubitat and select all of the devices you want shared with Alexa. Then go into the Alexa app and make sure the Hubitat devices and rooms are discovered.

1 Like

"Within Hubitat, download the Amazon Echo skill (not the older Amazon Echo app). Then activate the Hubitat skill in your Alexa app on your aphone, tablet, or computer. Then go into the Amazon Echo skill on Hubitat and select all of the devices you want shared with Alexa. Then go into the Alexa app and make sure the Hubitat devices and rooms are discovered."
I've done this over and over again, it simply doesn't work, I'm so frustrated.

I am sorry. I do not know what else to suggest. The method I mentioned works perfectly for me.

Do any of the Hubitat devices show up in Alexa? If so, which type?

1 Like

Don’t be sorry, you’ve done more than enough trying to help me.
Not a single Hubitat device is available to Alexa (and viceversa).

That is just weird. I would suggest disabling the Alexa skill in Hubitat and the Hubitat skill in Alexa and then start from scratch.

1 Like

Have you registered your hub with the Hubitat Cloud server?

1 Like