Hubitat devices into Alexa

Take a deep breath.
This DOES work, many of us here us this approach (me included).
If it doesn't work for you, you must be doing something "slightly wrong".
Keep calm, and Hubitat on!

2 Likes

:+1:

Oh good one, I always forget to ask people if they did this. I guess I just assume everyone does this as the first step of setting up the hub.

1 Like

Isn’t that the first thing to do? Yes, I did.
Thank you for the reminder anyway.

I tried this already, no luck.

Are you the main/primary account holder on the Amazon Alexa account? Sometimes folks try using a secondary account and run into issues from the Amazon side of things.

It would be much more helpful if you could share some screenshots of what you're seeing when you enable the Hubitat Skill from within in the Alexa app. As I mentioned previously, doing so will automagically install the correct app on the Hubitat Hub, assuming everything is healthy between your hub and the Hubitat Cloud. If you're running any complex home networking/firewall configuration, that could create problems. Or if your home network is setup with Double NAT, that could be it. Please share a everything about how your network and hub are configured.

3 Likes

I’m the primary account owner on everything.
I never considered NAT/firewall settings to be the issue, I will investigate further, thank you.

1 Like

Who is your ISP? Do they use CGNAT? Can you describe your modem (brand/model) and router? Is your Hubitat connected directly to the router or through a switch (brand/modrl)? Managed or unmanaged?

4 Likes

Probably a really stupid question, are you in the United States?

3 Likes

If you can't use switch devices as an Alexa trigger and you can't control non-switch virtual devices in Hubitat, how do you change the status of a virtual contact or motion sensor in Hubitat?

Use a driver that combines a virtual switch with the virtual contact sensor...

“Virtual Contact with Switch
metadata {
	definition (name: "Virtual contact with Switch", namespace: "cw", author: "cwwilson08") {
		capability "Sensor"
		capability "Contact Sensor"
        capability "Switch"
	}   
}

def on() {
    sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "closed")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on")
}

def off() {
    sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "open")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off")
}

def installed() {
}

Already answered in your thread specific to this question.

2 Likes

I'm in the UK