Hubitat Conversion Concerns

Lights, switches, door lock and thermostat mostly. Also for arming/disarming SHM. I do like my ST notifications and I have lot of those.

Cool! Out of curiosity, have you tried to integrate these into Homekit via HomeBridge? Once I move, that's been the UI I've intended to use.

Dashboard access and device control will be in the mobile app. Along with push notifications and geofencing. We stand firm that the user experience (accessing devices, viewing dashboards, etc) should be separate from the administration (Hubitat Web Interface) so that every user of the app can't add, delete, change device / automations, etc, especially remotely.

6 Likes

Have not, not familiar.

Thanks

They were originally going to offer some features for an extra subscription-style charge, sort of like Home Assistant is/will soon be doing with their "cloud extras" components, but they changed their mind. Whether that was a business or technical decision, we'll never know. :slight_smile: But I'm not sure it matters. What would you do if SmartThings shut down? It would pretty much be unusable since it's so cloud-dependent. Hubitat does require their servers for initial registration of the hub, but beyond that, you don't need an Internet connection at all and can keep going for as long as you want even if they vanish (optional features/apps/etc. that use their cloud endpoints excepted, of course). I hope they don't, and they seem to be doing well so far, but you'd still be able to do almost everything if they (Beyonce forbid) ever shut down.

Other people have chimed in on specific features you may want from the mobile app, so I'll just chime in on the only one I really miss from ST: notifications. As noted, you can use Pushover or send a limited number of SMS messages (as an alternative to notifications). However, since you're a current ST user, you may also want to check out the following: Route Hubitat Notifications to SmartThings - App and Driver (lets you get Hubitat notifications via the ST app). You don't even need the hub online for that, just your existing account to still be active. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks

Can't remember if I answered you somewhere else with a similar question. I use it as my primary interface.
I find it to be 90% reliable. Sometimes my thermostat current temperature and setpoints are off. But other than that it's rock solid.

1 Like

I'd have to check, but that sounds about right :slight_smile:
Do you use remote access for HomeBridge? It seemed to work 99% reliably with Home Assistant—I'm wondering if progress can be made to make it the same with HE.

@adamkempenich Remote Access is going to be via HomeKit (not homebridge) via Apple's integration with their "hub" (an Apple TV, HomePod, or dedicated iPad) via the Apple cloud. That works well when out and about.

1 Like

Excellent—that's what I was hoping to hear :slight_smile: Thanks!

I think it requires an Apple TV or some newer version of an always on iPad. My ATV handles it.

Yup—I had it running on my Apple TV for remote back on Home Assistant. How does it work for you?

Actually I tried to use geofencing to trigger virtual presence sensors. It didn't seem to ever work.
Other than that like I said there's the thermostat issue.
Status temperature and commands don't always line up.

It's still our primary interface.

1 Like

Right. Just checking to make sure it was the same as you'd said earlier haha :wink:

Interesting idea with the presence sensors. I never dove into the HomeHit automation routines too much with HASS since running it right off of my Pi was faster. I should have tried the virtual sensor idea...

When did I say it was bad? lol
I guess the 90% reliability?
What can I say my expectations are low.

Hopefully those expectations can rise to around 99% over the next couple of months.

I use HomeKit/Homebridge for Presence sensing.

I'd say it was 99% for me, 93% for my wife. She's always turning things off to extend battery without regard to impact.

It has a geofence although I have read that it's adjustable, I believe default is smallest.

I get a Notification either of us is home about "a block" away.

It's pretty much all I use Homebridge for on a constant basis. Most every other time I go into the Home app, it's just to enjoy the wonder that it works. :slight_smile: And to annoy Apple Store workers, since most have not leapt into HomeAutomation.

If you CAN use it, I would suggest you give it a try.

To start, you do not need the AppleTV/HomePod/iPod device. You can get Homebridge working, Have your Hubitat selected devices show in the Home app and then expand from there. You'll want to create Virtual Device using the Virtual Presence driver, and permit it within the Homebridge app.

To use presence AND/OR extend remote control outside of your LAN, you will need the AppleTV/HomePod/iPod device. The moment you enable one, you can go into Automation in the Home App and create the "IF anyone arrives" or "If anyone leaves" rules. Pick the Virtual Presence devices you created and added to Homebridge and enjoy the fruit of your labors. :smiley:

1 Like

I did all of that... The presence never worked...
I read some posts throughout the web that talked about nuking your entire setup to get presence working again...
I did not want to head down that path...

Any tricks to get it working? Homekit under privacy -> system something -> Homekit is turned on.

Settings:AppleID (that very top button): iCloud: home turned on

Settings:Privacy:Location Services:Home: While using. (Goes without saying Location has to be enabled, right.)

The issues cause by ST's firmware update last week and their lack of a fix for several days was it for me. I ordered a HE hub Tuesday night. It showed up Thursday. I just finished migrating devices from ST yesterday, and finished my automations today.

My observations so far:

Presence through Life360 has been superior to ST mobile presence.

Notifications through Pushover are FAR superior to ST in that it offers flexibility to send notifications to all or individual users and send different priority notifications. I have my phone set to DND mode at night. There are some notifications I want to ring through and some I don't. Pushover allows this. I had to pay $5 for the full version of the app but that's nothing in the big picture.

I still have access to my devices through the ST app for now using Other Hub, but I think the dashboards will be an acceptable alternative, just takes some effort to get them set up. But they are totally customizable. I haven't done any more than basic pages yet but I think this could be a cool feature.

I was hesitant about moving from webCoRE to RM (there is a webCoRE port but I wanted to use the fully integrated Rule Machine). It took some creativity but everything I had in WC is now up and running in RM.

Local processing had been very consistent and very fast so far. ST was really fast most of the time, but latency issues were not infrequent either.

So far I'm happy with the change.

2 Likes