Hubitat c7 zigbee 3 support

Is it fully support the zigbee 3 protocol?
Didn't find one conclusive answer
Thanks.

No.
. :wink:

It does not...

Thanks

But what does "not supported" really mean?

As I understand it, all versions of Zigbee start with the IEEE 802.15.4 physical / MAC layer. See What’s The Difference Between IEEE 802.15.4 And ZigBee Wireless? | Electronic Design

So, regardless of versions, the "how to get bits over the air" is the same for zigbee 3.0 as well as earlier versions -- i.e., they use IEEE 802.15.4 for transmission.

Then what distinguishes Zigbee 3.0 from the other earlier versions is the software stack that defines how the application layer and network layer format the date and communicate over 802.15.4. But that's just software / SDK choice.

So when one say that "Zigbee 3.0" isn't supported, doesn't that merely mean "the software parts aren't there, but could be put in place if we really wanted" rather than "can't be done due to hardware constraints".

A related question is now a "why bother going further with Zigbee 3.0 at this time" -- i.e., is it needed, and what tradeoffs are there in implementing that versus other work. Most Zigbee 3. devices also support the HA profile so there doesn't seem to be much of a need to implement Zigbee 3.0 right now beyond what is already implemented. And the Connectivity Standards Alliance, which controls Zigbee, has signaled it is "all in" at the moment in moving forward with the next evolution, i.e., the Matter standard; so given the limited resources that Hubitat likely has, it seems that this next evolution -- Matter -- would be a smarter place to devote resource or they risk being left behind (Check out the CSA web site and you'll see there is a big uptick in number of devices being certified for Matter, so it does seem inevitable that support is needed there.). From what I see, Hubitat has given some (relatively ambiguous) signals that it will be devoting efforts to Matter and that makes a lot of sense to me (at least these weak signals convinced me to get a C8 rather than wait for a Homey or other new entrant).

My understanding is that supporting zigbee green power would require a hardware change. The C-8 has the requisite hardware, but support has yet to be implemented in the software stack.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.