Hubitat C7 not accessible except through Diagnostic Tool

OK, I was walking away but I went back to the setup that worked before and bridged my USB wifi dongle and my ethernet card that my switch is on. Everything is now working and I am going to set up a fixed IP address.

Whatever. It's a computer. The semantics of that don't matter.

PCs suck. You can do this on a Mac without issue, but my experience shows that at some point something is going to cause that not to work consistently, PC or Mac.

You don't understand what a router is. If you didn't have a WiFi router (which is what you're telling me you have even though you don't understand that's what you have), then you would be able to connect exatly 1 WiFi client to it, but you can connect multiple. That's what a router does. It allows multiple wired or wireless devices to connect and assigns a network address to each. An unmanged switch is what you posted a picture of above. A managed switch is completely different than both a router and an unmanaged switch, but getting into the specifics of that is not important here.

Yes, you were doing exactly what I described above, but you don't seem to understand. It's OK not to understand something, and asking questions to learn is the path to enlightenment.

Good idea. Fresh eyes is an extremly valuable tool.

@SmartHomePrimer thanks for the tips....

I got it resolved....

1 Like

Of course, I have the Starlink router but that is providing a wifi network I am connecting to via my USB adapter. I have the Starlink ethernet adapter but chose to abandon it as I wanted to keep my backup network (AT&T hotspot through a TPlink AC-4000) online so I am just using the Starlink router through wifi.

In any event, I got it resolved by doing the following -

Bridge the Wifi card and the network card. Access to the hub was regained and the hub forced to a network address in the 192 network range

Log into Hubitat settings and set the hub to a fixed IP address to lock the IP so the Starlink router will not change it. (Still not sure why that router working through wifi would have any affect on my NIC card)

Remove the bridge from wifi card to the network card.

Set network card to same IP range as hub.

Everything works... via online portal and also locally!

1 Like

Thank you for all the assistance... it is great to get a little poke and prod in the right direction. I also got to play with some tools that I forgot even existed! It has been a long time since I needed IP-Scanner...

1 Like

By the way, I realize that the Starlink router is in my system but it is a wifi connection and has no effect (that I am aware of) on physical wired ethernet cards.

If you know different then please explain. Sorry you got upset but as any knowledgable engineer will tell you, "terminology is important".

Thanks for the assist...

I wasn't. Sorry if I came across that way.

I've no clue about Starlink. I shut down my IT support business before it became available. I'm in an area with good cable and fiber access available, so I personally have a reason to pay more for something like Starlink. I took a look online, but saw several different configuraitons for Starlink, so I've no clue exactly what you have on site. If your Starlink WiFi access point also has a single ethernet port on it, then I would guess it only supports DHCP for a single client device via ethernet, similar to cable modems that have just one ethernet port. Whereas WiFi of course supports DHCP addresses for multiple client devices. But I'm just guessing based on experience, since I don't know exactly which equipment you have at your house.

Glad you've got it working now.

1 Like