Hubitat and Z-Wave Long Range

I'm worried that many manufacturers are waiting for the Zigbee Apple, Google, Amazon back standard, especially being that it was supposed to start in 2020 certifying goods but is now pushed to 2021. Did any watch the webinar, here is a replay... https://zigbeealliance.org/news_and_articles/future-of-iot-is-now/

Thoughts or Concerns? Will Hubitat be able to support this via Firmware update?

Another super positive mention about ZW-LR is lower battery usage and should extend to being much longer, 12+ months, when compared to ZW+.

The Home Connect 620, Kwikset’s first smart lock in the “Home Connect” line, features a 10-button keypad with one-touch locking; 250 user codes, and the latest Z-Wave 700 chip technology, which includes the convenience of Z-Wave SmartStart and the security of the S2 framework.

Home Connect 620 Features

• 10-button keypad with one-touch locking,
• Latest Z-Wave 700 chip technology, which includes the convenience of Z-Wave SmartStart and the security of the S2 framework,
• Hold up to 250 user access codes,
• Latest version of their patented SmartKey Security™,
• Available in five finishes (Lifetime Polished Brass, Satin Nickel, and Venetian Bronze in the traditional design, and Polished Chrome, Matte Black, Satin Nickel and Venetian Bronze in the contemporary design),
• Pairs perfectly with Kwikset handlesets,
• Easy install, replaces existing deadbolt with just a screwdriver; no hard wiring is needed,
• BHMA Grade 2 certified

MSRP of the Home Connect 620 Connected Smart Lock is $149.99.

1 Like

Is don't think so.

Zwave lr spec is done, and the hardware has been rolling out for over a year. The normal players making zwave 700 devices today have almost no downside in making zave lr - other than some engineering and certification time.

It will come. Manufacturing just sucks right now, and some companies will wait until the legal review is done and final cert can be achieved (mid year).

1 Like

Don't forget in any of this speculation about ZW-LR that international supply chains remain seriously disrupted, and this impacts pretty much everyone in this space in one way or another, and to some degree or another. We continue to see ridiculously long lead times for very mundane parts, i.e., in excess of 6 months for parts formerly readily available from stock.

3 Likes

No vendor who plans to be in business this year or next is waiting for those guys. "supposed" to happen and actually happening are worlds apart, especially now.

5 Likes

Did you see the Webinar, they said that manufacturers are being certified and releasing this 4th quarter, so something is happening... Let the war begin! This should drive the prices down and get more devices out!

FWIW, Apple included Thread as part of the new AppleTV that ships next month.

Any thoughts on adding support for Thread Border Routing to Hubitat?

Search Amazon for "thread devices", or the internet for that matter.

4 Likes

This didn't answer my question... has there been any consideration of adding Thread Border Routing to Hubitat assuming Thread takes off? Is it technologically feasible with the Zigbee chip that Hubitat uses?

I understand that there aren't many devices shipping yet. Behemoth companies like those involved in Thread are very slow to move... but once they start moving, they take big steps in heavy boots.

Reading between the lines I’d say until there are enough vaible devices available the plan is to devote the resources to something a little more concrete....

3 Likes

Why would you assume this? It hasn't happened yet, obviously. And @thebearmay is right. We aren't putting resources into what is still a lot of talk and nothing real.

2 Likes

Thread taking off is speculative. Rather similar to for Z-Wave LR at this point.

Let's see, do you have any thread hardware in hand? If you have a C-7, you do have LR hardware in hand.

5 Likes

Oddly enough, I do have a Thread device in my hands. :slight_smile:

It's in the same situation as Z-Wave LR--hardware in hand, but functionality not enabled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Thread is the Next Coming.

I was just asking if any thought had been given to whether support could be added to the Hubitat. I.E. can the Zigbee chip in the C7 support it? I've not researched the Zigbee chip used in the C7, so I don't know. It seemed like a reasonable question to ask.

2 Likes

I think this speculation is reasonable. It would seem to me to be an opportunity for Hubitat. Imagine not having to deal with device or mesh issues. Being able to focus on functionality.

And of course there are Thread devices for sale. Not many and all HomeKit. But undoubtedly more are on the way.

Here is a good blog post on Thread:

1 Like

One thing I find interesting about Thread is how the chip sets are developing/evolving. E.g., if you look at silicon labs, they're combining Zigbee and Thread in the same SoC (see EFR32MG21 Series 2 Multiprotocol Wireless SoC - Silicon Labs). Assuming this dual or multi- lower-layer protocol support becomes the industry path, it seems Hubitat is already set for these newer devices as you could pair these devices as Zigbee. In my view, there is still a gap in Thread as Thread is only the lower layers of a smart home protocol -- until project CHiP or other upper layer (i.e., where device "commands" are defined) is better defined, then planning for / implementing Thread features in Hubitat seems like it would be a drain on their resources -- from what I see, the current Hubitat focus -- i.e., to refine and enhance Zibgee / Z-Wave support -- is adding a lot to the product for users using it now.

Well since Z-wave devices do not seem to want to associate with other types of Z-wave devices; that is non-plus devices don't want to associate with Plus devices. Plus devices don't want to associate with non-plus devices. S2 varieties don't want to associate with other varieties. Having a star topology where everything is independent of other devices is a good thing.

Though, with the recent announcement of support for Zigbee by some big Players, I am thinking that Zigbee has a better future than Z-wave.

Its actually pretty straightforward. Zigbee will be replaced by Z-wave; but thereafter Z-Wave will be replaced by Thread. But Thread users may have problems if there isn't enough support in the market; fortunately, many of the Thread chips will support Zigbee so they'll revive Zigbee. And also, Thread is only the lower layer protocol so you'll need CHiP unless, of course, its HomeKit over Thread which is still better than the Bluetooth version, at least if you have an iPhone, though, of course Z-wave does support central scene buttons and a lot of other stuff that hasn't been as clearly defined yet in some of these other protocols so Z-wave is back to being the real direction, unless what you want is supported by X10 (assuming you can find those devices on ebay). Fortunately, my kids are still young enough that I can tell them to turn on and off the lights if I yell loud enough for them to hear me. I hope that sorts it all out.

12 Likes