Hubitat and Z-Wave Long Range

Correct, or if the vendor released a firmware update/version that enabled zwave lr on the lock.

Lock manufacturers aren't exactly known for releasing firmware to end users, though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

3 Likes

Ok, so the above statement is with the caveat of using lr devices. I'm cool with it, just didn't want my expectations to be crushed thinking this implementation would solve the current problem. :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, as zwave lr devices don't use a mesh... So no mesh issues. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy::joy:

3 Likes

I think I know ONE thing in the box.

The outdoor outlet I got that needs a spiffy driver. Lol

2 Likes

Jasco is good about putting things through zwave certification WAY before the device is commercially available.

So normally for them all you have to do is go look at the alliance website to see upcoming zwave products (announced or not).

So anyone could probably with a pretty high success rate some of what was in the box. :wink:

4 Likes

Yup.. And all their new devices coming out have their old models on sale right now to clear out stock..

2 Likes

Have you tried getting a repeater close
to your lock?

I solved my issue over a year ago by putting a hub near every lock, repeaters did nothing to solve it.

My curiosity with zwave lr was if I would be able to centralize locate the hubs again.

really surprised the repeaters didn't work for you. I have 3 schlage be469's in the house and a repeater near every one. Haven't had so much as a trigger failure on them

1 Like

Its well documented on this forum if you just search schlage locks. I had 5 repeaters within 5 feet of one lock and 4 repeaters within another and had constant problems.

Put a hub within 5 feet of each lock and zero problems for over a year

1 Like

Mains repeaters or beaming repeaters? Usually the solution (at least in my experience) have been beaming repeaters like the aeotec 6’s whereas mains repeaters don’t seem to work for the locks so well (not sure why that is) If you read through most of the threads they even recommend beaming repeaters. (Though if you did that already it strikes me as strange as i’d be digging till i figured out why lol)

Yes I was referring to the Aeotec Range extender 6's they have beaming, which is stated in those previous posts on the forum.

Repeaters have done zero for me with locks or anything else. They almost never were in the chosen route.

And, I have a hub like 6' in clear air from an s0 lock and it's still difficult. I have to use a loop to get it locked or unlocked.

In fact, to make sure they do what I want, I have all my locks on a loop. Not ideal, but the only way to have over a 5% success rate with them.

1 Like

I also have 3 of them that have never missed a lick. One is 20 feet from the hub with direct hop to the hub. The second one is about 40 feet away direct hop to the hub and the third is 60 feet away with a hop through my garage non plus ct100 tstat then the hub. Never had any issue with them on ST before I left that awful cloud down every other day platform. I should stop there.

Tom

1 Like

It's super strange (to me) that locks have so much variability. Every permutation is mentioned in these threads somewhere. Never work, half work, fully work, etc.

I'm in the fully works camp and happy for that, but did experience early trouble when I tried to add locks before the mesh had been built out. Once I got everything migrated from ST and then went back to the Lock (and Garage Door Opener) they both joined first try. Adding a second lock much later was smooth too.

I would be so happy with an LR outlet or an LR outdoor switch. There are a few far away locations where i really would enjoy reaching to with zwave and in general its only to turn on/off power on an outlet.

1 Like

Yes, that exact use case is #1 on my "most wanted" list. Here's hoping...

I'll be waiting on a just a plain ole contact sensor my mailbox is about 100yds away (well about 50yrds and an entire house blocking line of site from the house and the current contact sensor is about 50/50 reliability on reporting when it's opened.

I would too if I hadn't ready changed out those to LoRa.

While I don't know if a zwave lr outdoor outlet will come or not, I am almost 100% sure a contact sensor will come.

2 Likes