Hubitat and Smart Plugs with Energy Montoring

At the risk of making this sound like an argument.... and please do not interpret my contribution that way... One reason I purchased KP115's was to replace the older, bulkier Kasa HS110's (?). I can now plug them into a socket and still plug another appliance in next to it, i.e. they are much slimmer than the HS110's.

2 Likes

I purchased KP125s (the homekit version of the KP115) because they integrate locally with the Sense power monitor - to let me monitor specific devices that Sense has not identified. They also work very well with @djgutheinz's Hubitat integration.

Also @baysailor, if you decide to consider the Kasa KP125 plugs, they are currently on sale at BestBuy ($25 for two).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-kasa-smart-wi-fi-plug-mini-with-homekit-2-pack-white/6472521.p

2 Likes

I had looked at them awhile ago and the fact you could easily use 2 was one of the reasons I liked them.

2 Likes

I think this may have sealed the deal for me, even not on sale Best Buy sells them for $30 for a 2 pack.
Thanks for the link

2 Likes

Okay, I have ordered a Hubitat hub and some Kasa 125 smart plugs. Thanks for all the help.

3 Likes

FYI. Link to Kasa Integration is at the below. It includes links to the code for installation as well as a link to installation instructions. Hardest part is setting static IP addresses (which is specific to your router). You need any assistance, contact me at the link. Dave

[RELEASE] TP-Link/Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb integration - Developers / Code Share - Hubitat

3 Likes

Sinope units with energy monitoring seems good. Zigbee. 1 monitored outlet (as usual), fully integrated with Hubitat
They are on sale (15%) tomorrow, 26th

Is the Static address just for the Hubitat? Right now I have pulled out my hardware firewall which I need to reinstall soon. I am using Tplink Deco X20s for both my router and wifi, it does not seem to have static IP settings, my hardware firewall does for wired connections, it does not have wifi. With previous routers I have set static ips for both wifi and wired so I am somewhat familiar with doing that.

1 Like

According to TP-Link, it does support DHCP address reservation (i.e. static IP assignment for specific clients).

Correct. @djgutheinz's integration only uses the local LAN (not the TP-Link cloud), so it is important for the plugs to have non-changing IP addresses.

That UI is for another Deco, the one the X20 has is a lot different and does not look anything like that. I went through it trying to find anything I can set and there is very little, unfortunately.

1 Like

I contacted TP-Link support, it turns out you have to use the mobile app, not the web based interface. The UI is still completely different and it took a few minutes to find where I can set static IPs but I can now...:wink:

1 Like

That makes sense - the link that I found (and pasted above) was for the mobile app. Seems a little crazy that the web UI cannot be used for something so basic.

Agreed and the pics are all wrong. The P7 has been discontinued and I wonder if the other newer Decos have the same interface as I do. I did point out the help could probably use and update.

1 Like

Make sure they're the new version (long and oval) They work well.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that the HE driver does not support the power monitoring function of the Sinope outlets...?

We support power monitoring on the sinopes, these outlets do not support zigbee group messaging.

2 Likes

I have been reading a bit about the Kasa smart plugs and it looks like when power is lost they are supposed to come back in their previous state when power is restored. If that is correct do they do this automatically without having to reconnect to anything?

Yes they do.

1 Like

Great, I should be getting the Hubitat and Kasa smart plug within a couple of weeks.

I have just set up the Hubitat somewhat. It wants me to register for clould services and using the mobile app. Do I have to do this step in order to use the Hubitat?
Thanks