Hubitat and Smart Plugs with Energy Montoring

I still have not purchased a Hubitat but may be soon. It looks like someone made it so it will work with Kasa smart plugs which seem to be less expensive than others. I am looking at the Kasa KP115 with energy monitoring. Can I control these with Hubitat?
Thanks

It can be integrated with Hubitat thanks to custom code developed by a community developer that you can load onto your hub.

But there are zigbee plug-in modules around the same price point as Kasa plugs on Amazon in the US. Where do you live?

1 Like

I would recommend you look at Zigbee or Zwave devices rather than WIFI. I have some old V1 Iris plugin receptacles that report power consumption and give immediate feedback of status changes if manually controlled. They are Zigbee and no longer produced, but show up on Ebay every so often for around $5 each shipped. It seems they are rated for 15 amps. Iris Model SPG800.

Hubitat compatible devices are listed here: https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

1 Like

I have a few brand new Iris V1 plugs at 15 each plus shipping.

Thanks for the replies.
I found some Sengled Smart Plugs on Amazon for $60 for a 4 pack. I see they are listed as compatible, has anyone used them?

They work - @ogiewon has them. Just make sure you get the zigbee ones and not the WiFi ones.

They do state that the Sengled Smart Plugs need a Zigbee hub, thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Interceding here. Does the Sengled support the Energy Monitor function (see original post) and if so, which driver is used to pull this to the interface? Looking at the product description and spec, I see no mention of the EM functions.

PS - the Kasa 115 does this well both internally and integrated to Hubitat. It provides not only power, but also summarizes usage by day, month, and previous month (all reported to Hubitat). (Disclaimer, I am author of the Kasa Integration.)

4 Likes

Do the Iris V1 plugs serve as repeaters for Aqara/Xiaomi devices. I had a older Smartthings and Centralite plugs which work great until I tried to add a couple of Aqara devices to the mix. Those plugs were serving as the primary Zigbee repeaters. The Aqara devices would not work until I replaced the plugs. The new plugs work well, even repeating for Aqara, but they do not have power monitoring. I have had difficulty finding Zigbee plugs with power monitoring.

Not as far as I can tell.

I will try contacting the company about the driver used for energy monitoring, I couldn't find it in the description either.

The Sengled Smart Plugs I am looking at do support energy monitoring, I would provide a link but I am not sure if that is allowed here for outside links.

Sorry, i don't know the answer.

You should be able to add links. But if you just indicate the Amazon product name/number, that'll be enough to identify it.

I have sent a message to Sengled since they don't show the zigbee version of the smart plug on their website. They do show that the Singled App will show total power consumption under the “Total” page and the total power consumed by day, week, month and year.

The Amazon listing: https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Requied-SmartThings-Monitoring-Control/dp/B092DBFFBY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=31RBSJCZI3V00&keywords=zigbee%2Bsmart%2Bplug%2Benergy%2Bmonitoring&qid=1640436897&sprefix=zigbee%2Bsmart%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-5&th=1

I can vouch for the Kasa product working well with my HE setup, though can understand the tendency towards zigbee and z-wave alternatives. I wasn't weighing up their protocol when choosing the Kasa plugs, I simply tried a couple and slowly expanded on that.

I can also vouch for @djgutheinz 's work on the Kasa drivers / app, he's done an excellent job and is always refining and expanding their coverage and performance. He's also quick to respond to support issues that come up from time-to-time.

3 Likes

These particular Sengled outlets are Zigbee, and do support power monitoring. They can use the built-in Hubitat Generic Zigbee Outlet driver. There is no “Energy Reporting” supported in that driver, just power monitoring.

I have two of these and they seem to work well, alongside my Iris 3210-L outlets.

3 Likes

Are you using the Sengled model: E1C-NB7W_4P_N? The description does say they have power monitoring but maybe that is only through their app?
I would like to continue to have power monitoring that has a history. If these can't do that I may need to find a zigbee smart switch that can do that or go with the Kasa.
I was using TopGreener smart plugs and I do like their UI but they have never updated the firmware so that the plugs come back in the "On" state, also they seem to take forever to reconnect after a power outage. I have pulled these out of service because of that.

I am using the Sengled E1C-NB7. I use them primarily as Zigbee repeaters. For Power/Energy monitoring, I use an IoTaWatt.com whole home energy monitoring system. It works great.

1 Like

At the risk of making this sound like an argument.... and please do not interpret my contribution that way... One reason I purchased KP115's was to replace the older, bulkier Kasa HS110's (?). I can now plug them into a socket and still plug another appliance in next to it, i.e. they are much slimmer than the HS110's.

2 Likes