Help with power monitoring project

Here is my problem I am trying to solve. I need two plugs, A and B. I am trying to monitor if a device shuts down on Plug A (stops drawing power) then Plug B will cut off power to devices connected to itself.

plug needs to support 10A or less

Any suggestions for something like this?

Wouldn't you just have a Basic Rule that if "Plug A" falls below X then turn off "Plug B"?

4 Likes

Are you asking about the rule you may need, like @neonturbo is talking about, or suggestions on the devices to purchase?

1 Like

Hi @sburke781, I am looking for suggestions on what plugs to purchase.

thanks for the rule suggestion @neonturbo.

What region (country) are you in? Plug types vary greatly from country to country.

I am in the U.S.

Thanks Neon :slight_smile:

Zooz makes the Zen15 and I find that it works well. It's a bit higher in price than some (just under $40 US on amazon) but it can handle the load of a small AC unit or humidifier (more than you say you need, but might one day be handy). I do find that the power monitoring is very "chatty" on the z-wave network but as I recall you can configure/limit this. I'm going into my third summer with one monitoring/powering a dehumidifier, and I used it to with a set of snow melt heat mats during winter, and it worked perfectly. I even used one outside in a protected but unheated area here in Maine this winter and it worked well down to about -11 F.

1 Like

I also like that Zen15 mentioned above, especially for appliances and other heavy loads.

Here are a few recommended devices by others:

2 Likes

I think the important thing to realize is to properly setup your power reporting parms.

For instance if you are monitoring a tv and it normally runs at 60 watts you want to set the monitoring outlet to trigger automatic reports at the most reasonable number like 50 watt difference. If it runs at 120 maybe set it to 100 watts. Then set the timed interval to something again reasonable or disable it altogether.

This is important to prevent flooding of the reporting over the network it is on. Some devices make it more complicated as they have multiple outlets that are monitored. Zooz has the Zen25 which is a dual outlet device and then they also have a power strip. They are known to trigger zwave issues because of how chatty they can be with power reporting and should probably be avoided unless you absolutely need what they provide.

1 Like

You guys are super helpful, thank you so much!

@mavrrick58 great feedback thank you. @neonturbo, I was reading about the Zen15, the problem with that plug is it is a dual outlet (just need one) and the outlets are on each side. It wouldn't fit very well in my server rack.

Here is my setup: I have a PoE switch, a bunch of cameras, and a siren connected to a relay. If the switch loses power, the relay will trigger the siren. I need to be able to silence the alarm if the switch goes down (loses power). So if I need to do some configuring to the switch, I have to turn off power to the siren or else when I power cycle the switch, the siren will fire.

EP10 --> siren
HS300 --> PoE switch

My solution for the moment has been to use a Kasa EP10 to turn off the outlet connected to the relay/siren manually via the Kasa app.

I also have a Kasa HS300 that I am using to do energy monitoring on the switch.

Two questions:

1. Would it be possible to use the Hubitat and the devices I already own? Could I have the Hubitat monitor the PoE switch connected to the HS300 and if the device does not draw power, then turn off the EP10 outlet?

2. What would be the delay on something like that?

If you are trying to do something like automate a computer such that if the computer is turned off power will be disconnected to peripherals such as monitor, USB hubs, etc. you can purchase self contained power strips that will allow you to do that. You plug the computer into the master outlet and other devices into the slave. When the power draw on the master outlet falls below a preset level, everything else turn off.

The same system could be used with an AV system.

Yes, you could do this with a power monitoring plug and another smart plug, but it would likely be more expensive than the smart strip. My electric company even sells them at a significant discount.

In case you are not familiar with this type of device, here is a link to one of them:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simply-Conserve-3-ft-7-Outlet-Energy-Saving-Advanced-Surge-Protector-SC73T1/319346702

That isn't the zen 15, you are describing the zen 25. The zen 15 is a single

1 Like

That is all kasa stuff and I thought there was a integration for it. Is that not true for this gear?

If the integration does work for them, being those are wifi devices they dont really report back to hubitat. Hubitat would have to pool them which means a possible delay for knowing when the power is lost to the hs300 or the switch.

I have a rule for tv's that does what you are talking about with ambient tv backlights and roku state. I have a samsung tv that turns on/off the lights based on power monitoring. It works great and is fairly near instantaneous. Maybe a 1 second delay. It uses a old zigbee Smartthings outlet to monitor power state. I also have a TLC Roku TV. I use the TV's power state reported through roku integration. The roku integration requires polling since it is a wifi device. For that tv it can take up to 1 min for the ambient lights to kick on. It is just the luck of when I turn it on versus when the last poll occurred.

Ofcourse I could adjust the polling rate to reduce the time, but then that is more load on the hub/wifi/network packets/ect to constantly be making wifi calls to that device.

You want to creat the least amount of any kind of traffic to get the information needed. For the fastest reaction to it you may want to have something that reports the state based on local activity on the sensing device to the hub. That would mean some kind of zigbee/zwave device most likely.

I am also curious why does a loss of power to the switch trigger the siren. Is there a rule or something somwhere that causes that.

The siren is connect to a relay NO, when there is power loss, it closes the circuit and provides power to the siren.

Thanks for the info. I learned about polling which I didn't know before and possible delay associated with a wifi device. Looks like the Kasa plugs wouldnt be the best choice.

Knowing my setup and what I am trying to do, what would you recommend since you previously mentioned the Zen should be avoided?

solid advice and great information so far, thank you. I have learned a lot from this post.

Only the zen25. Though if you consider zigbee, the sengled outlets are a fine outlet or for z-wave GE enbrighten z-wave or zigbee.

1 Like

The question of zigbee or zwave probably should just be what tech do you use and maybe how far from the hub is this being installed.

I would suggest using which ever of those you have more of if you dont have a strong mesh with both already.

On zwave the ones i am aware of would be the Zen15 from zooz or the Aeotec smart switch 7.

You probably want to avoid the Zooz zen 25.

For zigbee there are a few good options. I have heard the Sengled plug mentioned a few times. I use a Samsung zigbee plug which works well if you can find them.

1 Like