Hubitat and Screen Readers

Hello All,

I purchased my Hubitat and HOOBS devices this week. My goal is to migrate 15 z-Wave devices to Hubitat and then through the HOOBS device to expose them to Apple Homekit where I can manage them.

My primary problem at the moment is that the preferred method of joining Hubitat and HOOBS involves adding the package manager. The instructions say to click "Add code." I can find the URL to paste in, but I cannot find that button. Some further detailed instructions say to click the arrow next to the "Advanced" button. However, I am blind and I use a screen reader, and the arrow is not showing up in the screen reader.

Secondly, there seems to be a misconfigured interface for the Yale Living Free Smartlocks. This shows up in the "add device" section as model 210. And when bringing up the interface to connect to the lock, the button says "Start Zigbee pairing." The lock is a z-Wave device, not a Zigbee device. I am going to try to connect the lock via the generic z-Wave device, and then set the device type to a lock. I hope that works. But can someone fix that config page?

Patrick

1 Like

I believe Yale has both a zigbee and zwave version so the interface needs to pick one. To pair the zwave lock go down to the pair manually box and click the zwave button.

To add the package manager you’ll need to go to the Apps Code tab on the menu (may have to uncollapse the Developer Tools section on the side menu to see it).

Is this an issue with the screen reader or the documentation for Hubitat package manager?

This is an issue with the Hubitat user interface. FYI, the web browser is chrome running on Windows 11, and the screen readers if have tried are NVDA, JAWS, and Windows Narrator. The control to add code is not accessible via the screen reader.

2 Likes

Does the reader give you the option to click on "developer tools"? From there you will need to click on "Apps Code".
@bobbyD

1 Like

Hello,

I am not seeing anything that says "Developer Tools."

We are looking into it. Thank you for your feedback.

1 Like

It is just below subscriptions in a smaller font with a ^ to press (up is open, down is collapsed) and once expanded/open you get apps code, drivers code, libraries code, bundles, logs. If the screen reader is not seeing it, do you have a sighted person that could assist?

Hello, What the screen readers say:

"Visited Link Subscriptions"
I press down arrow to move the cursor down one line.
"Advanced"
I press down arrow again.
"Blank"
Down arrow again.
"Blank"
Down arrow again.
"Visited ink Logs."

The advanced is just text. I have moved the mouse to that point, and clicked on it. Nothing happens. There is no expandable menu there as you have described.

There is a free screen reader in Windows called "Narrator" built in to Windows. Just press CTRL+Windows+Enter, and it turns on. It is a pretty basic screen reader with no mouse functionality. However, you can get an idea of what the screen reader is reporting to me.

Thanks
Patrick

1 Like

Should have asked this earlier I guess, but what version of HE are you running?

Platform Version
Hardware Version
Rev C-7

1 Like

Is there a double arrow or a down arrow next to Advanced (right of it on my screen)? If so, see if you can click it and open a sub-menu.

1 Like

I assume you have the "Enable screen reader support..." option turned on from the top of the Settings page? If not, see if that helps. I'm not sure it does for this, mostly app UIs and other pages, but it can't hurt. It appears support is looking into this for you, so hopefully there will be a resolution.

I'm assuming, from above, that the issue is that the screen reader does not "see" the arrows, so they can't be clicked. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello,

Nothing after the "advanced" text. I even tried to move the mouse cursor to the right a bit after the last letter. Unfortunately, the screen reader will not move just so many pixels. It has to have something it sees before it will move to it. The mouse cursor stays on the letter "d" at the end of the word.

BTW, I am in no hurry. I am just taking my time here. I think one of the developers stated early in this thread that they are looking into it. Maybe they will release an upgrade that fixes the problem. Also, waiting for a sighted assistant to show up is no good unless they bring their own monitor and mouse, as I have neither.

Patrick

I enabled Narrator and it stops on Subscriptions. Even clicking on "developer tools" produces no speech in the reader (weather screen reader in hubitat is on or off)

If it helps here is a list to get into those sections via http

apps code = http://your hub ip/app/list

Drivers code = http://your hub ip/driver/list

Libraries code = http://your hub ip/library/list

Bundles = http://your hub ip/bundle/list

Logs = http://your hub ip/logs

I hope that helps until it can be resolved.

1 Like

That works! I can see the place to add the url for the package manager code. Now it is such a nice day, I am going to putter around my snoker and barbecue some ribs. It is only the second day over 60 dgrees here mear the shores of Lake Ontario. Thank you for the help and insight.

Patrick

3 Likes

Glad it worked out. Hopefully @gopher.ny can fix the interface to make it a bit more sight impaired friendly there. It helps when someone like yourself can point out a bug like that.

Ok. The HPM is installed. However, I put my HOOBS credentials in instead of the Hubitat credentials. How do I edit my credentials, or do I need to reinstall the HPM? The settings page shows the credentials, but it does not seem to show any way of editing them.

HPM doesn't need credentials. It's simply for installing apps/drivers from repositories. I don't know hoobs so I can't help you on that one. There are others that do know it. I would start a new thread with Hoobs in the subject line.

Hello,

This appears to be another screen reader related issue. I am trying to update my hub, and I click on "Check for updates" and I am told that there is an update available. The documentation says to click on the "Update Hub" button. I cannot find the button.
Patrik