Hubitat and Screen Readers

The Update Hub button will be there only if an update is available. From what you described, it sounds like there isn't. Can you verify your platform version from Settings > Hub Details? (And also that it is connected to the Internet, which it needs to check for updates?) There could still be something wrong with screen readers in this particular case--just trying to rule out the other stuff first. :smiley:

1 Like

Here is what the "Check for Updates" link returned:

Currently running version: 2.3.1.142
New Version Available: 2.3.2.133
Release 2.3.2.133 Available

Patrick

Sounds like there may be an issue, then. The update UI was recently changed and perhaps something for screen readers is amiss. Not sure if @gopher.ny is the right guy for this, but he'll know who is if not. :smiley:

What screen reader do you use? We can't fix 2.3.1 retroactively, but we can test pages in the screen reader for firmware updates going forward. The button shows up in the regular browser.

I am using Windows 11 and Chrome. I tried the following screen readers; Freedom Scientific Jaws for Windows 2022; NVDAHello.

I am using Windows 11 and Chrome. I have tried Jaws 2022, NVDA, and Windows Narrator to push that button. None of them work. I also tried to use Safari on my iPhone, but Safari cannot load the page.

Thanks
Patrick

Hello all,

I came up with a workaround. I dug up my old laptop, which has a touchpad under the keyboard. Using NVDA, I scrolled to the bottom of the Release Notes section. There is a text field that says "Update Hub." Then using keyboard commands, I moved the browser cursor to the second or third letter in the word, "Update." Then using NVDA's mouse commands, I moved the mouse cursor to the location of the browser cursor. Then I exitted NVDA. Then I double tapped on the touchpad on my laptop. Then I relaunched NVDA, and used the forms button to find the "Agree" button, and then I hit enter. Then the hub went into update mode.

Fortunately, I had an old laptop I never use, since I primarily use a desktop. And there is no mouse on my desktop computer.

This definitely needs some work. One quick fix is to make those two "buttons" at the bottom of the release notes real buttons, so the screen reader can interface with them properly. The "Agree" button is a real button, so it was easy to find and activate.

Patrick

2 Likes