Hubitat and Lutron and others

I am not sure as I have never used the Sengled extensions. However, I did find the following on their website.

2 Likes

This is the coolest feature and I highly recommend it - totally worth it. You can stick a PICO absolutely anywhere and have it control just about everything. I have a PICO in my kitchen that controls my Sonos and as I'm cooking I can pause the music (if it's loud) to have Alexa/Google Home set a kitchen timer. I have another one in a hidden location that disables my Alarm - endless possibilities!

1 Like

Agreed.
Next to our bed my wife can turn on "sleep mode" which turns on some alarms stuff, dims/turns off lights by setting our sleep scene, and she can also use it to turn a light back on/off/dim. It's magical.

2 Likes

Picos are very cool but for simplicity I like the smartthings single buttons.

For our master bedroom we have 2 wall sconces over the bed with smart bulbs. There are no light switches within reach so I've incorporated 2 buttons - one on each side table. One press toggles the designated sconce light, 2 presses toggles both. Very high on the WAF/SOAF.

Not saying I don't like the picos (I have a bunch) but once you get above 2 or so functions it can be a little unnerving to the uninitiated..

For sure! Donโ€™t forget the wall plate adapter and a screw less cover for a seamless look!

https://www.amazon.com/Caseta-Wireless-Wallplate-Bracket-PICO-WBX-ADAPT/dp/B00JZRAFEA/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?cv_ct_cx=pico+wall+plate+bracket&keywords=pico+wall+plate+bracket&pd_rd_i=B00JZRAFEA&pd_rd_r=1dd82166-80f2-4c1c-a312-353d042ad74f&pd_rd_w=Pt2KG&pd_rd_wg=B6dLK&pf_rd_p=a6d018ad-f20b-46c9-8920-433972c7d9b7&pf_rd_r=51MTC0P125CKGVTW08YH&psc=1&qid=1583527624

1 Like

Good point. We use 1 of these as well.

Very cool discussion, everyone! We to have ONE Pico currently, but it is used as a 2nd switch for our dining room (in what used to be a three-way situation) before we moved in. And they are currently just paired with Wink....

I too came from Wink with a heavy Lutron Caseta integration. The move to Hubitat has been wonderful.., Get a Lutron Pro hub and the Lutron devices run much better than they did with Wink. The devices available to Wink were very limited and the Hubitat world of devices is HUGE compared to Wink. The Local operation of the Hubitat hub is great too, no more cloud dependence. I only had a couple of devices that I could not bring over (Kidde Smoke detectors) but everything else ported well. The Schlage Locks don't behave as well as they did on Wink but otherwise.... Now I have 3 Hubitat hubs with hundreds of devices and for the most part, they all play well.

1 Like

We do this, for our two bedside lamps: single push toggles your own lamp, doubletap toggles your partner's lamp, long hold does both (both off if either was on, both on if both were off).

100% WAF. :grinning: And so far, 100% GuestAF for those using our guest bedroom, with the same setup.

1 Like

$5.95 + $108.40 "expert installation" :rofl: I will happily install them for $108 each!

I have one hidden under my dining room table to control the Sonos volume/skip/pause as needed.

Night light ones on each night stand to control lights and ceiling fans.

I even have one to control the up/down/fan on my kitchen downdraft after I burnt out the (not sold anymore) internal controller with a pan of boiling water. Fan is wired to a Z-wave switch, up/down motor is wired to 2 Fibaro RGBW controllers, powered by 2 POE injectors (one positive to go up, other negative to go down). All controlled via HE, not your everyday solution but it works great.

More uses still to come!

Back on the previous question about HUE working without the Bridge....

Has this been working well for users?

No. See the Zigbee mesh doc linked to above--it's likely to cause problems. If you already have the Hue Bridge, keep it. It can integrate with Hubitat through that. If you don't and want to use Hue Lightstrips for some reason, consider a way to make this and/or other types of Zigbee lights be the only devices on that Zigbee network. This is where the Hue Bridge comes in, though a second Hubitat would also work. If you just happen to not have any other type of Zigbee devices (motion sensors, contact sensors, etc.), then you'd also be good. Most people do, and the general recommendation is therefore to avoid this.

3 Likes

@Dauntless4rcher If you don't, current gen Hue bridges are readily available on ebay for under ~$30. :wink:

1 Like

Question: I didnt see LIFX on the compatible list? With LIFX apparently being a hub-less option, is it not supported on HE?

I am continuing to do strip research and it seems that LIFX has the best brightness and color output. Would be curious if other HE users have these?

It seems that Singled strips do not have much luck producing accurate 6500k white, while Hue has trouble keeping bright in colors.

I would be interested in what strips everyone has used and which they like best...

I am also reading good things about the TP-Link strips, and Govee strips. Any experience with these that anyone has had would be beneficial for my research....

Thank you all!

They're not officially supported, but there is a community integration:

I only have one LIFX bulb and don't currently use it, but it worked well for me when I did. Being WiFi devices, these eliminate the potential Zigbee mesh problem, but I wouldn't fill my whole house with these (or any WiFi device). The price difference from Hue--which, again, works quite well as its own system if you want my opinion--doesn't look significantly different. (I only have one of these because they have an 1100-lm offering.)

I haven't compared side by side, but a friend has the Sengled strips and I have Hue (he does also have Hue bulbs to compare). Hue does a wide range of color temperatures well, in my opinion. Sengled does best warm, I think around 2700K, though I like the 4000K strip output enough that it doesn't seem different from the Hue bulbs. However, it definitely can't get as warm as Hue. Hue may not be as bright at all colors but the strips are better than the bulbs in my experience--which I admit is a bit limited since mine are almost always at some shade of white. From a technical perspective, I see how Hue can be better: their lightstrip is a five-channel kind (RGB plus warm and cool white), whereas Sengled's is four (RGB plus white, presumably warm).

Trigger Pulled! I will join the HE World tomorrow!

What sold me was the Customizeable Dashboards for sure....

Now, Back to this Lutron discussion....

Has anyone purchased THIS bundle from Lowes?

I THINK this kit ( P-BDGPRO-PKG1W) comes with the L-BDGPRO2-WH Bridge. At least it does at Amazon, but if my local Lowes has this, I save $30.

If anyone knows or can confirm that this bundle includes the correct Pro Bridge, let me know....

Making my current rooms with Lutron switches switch work on day one will definitely help the WAF.... :wink:

1 Like

The Lowes listing is for the non-Pro P-BDG-PKG1W kit. You definitely need the PRO version, P-BDGPRO-PKG1W, to work with Hubitat.

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-P-BDGPRO-PKG1W-Wireless-Dimmer-Bridge/dp/B01AVLTHY2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=P-BDGPRO-PKG1W&qid=1583844543&sr=8-3

2 Likes

Thank you again!

1 Like