Hubitat and Govee

About turning on the TV thing. Android TVs will turn on and off via Google Home. I cut cable and while one of my TVs is native Android every other just has a Google TV HDMI plug-in thing with the little remote.

Since the other gove integration doesn't poll automatically it may be less problematic with the rate limits.

This is why I hate the cloud APIs. Lord I hope Matter fixes some of this stuff.

1 Like

The Govee immersion strip driver linked in the second post in this thread.

This rate limiting will likely be a problem if you have a bunch of devices or have polling at a fairly high frequency. Once a minute shouldn't be to bad.

Below is the info from their api documentation about the rate limits.

Rate limiting
The returned HTTP headers show your current rate limit status:
Note There are two levels of limits working together. Please make sure
your design would not reach any level of the limits. Otherwise, the HTTP
response status will be 429:
(1) X-RateLimit-Limit, X-RateLimit-Remaining, X-RateLimit-Reset (this
level of limit works on all APIs, which means total requests from one
user can not be more than 1000 per day).
(2) API-RateLimit-Limit, API-RateLimit-Remaining, API-RateLimit-Reset.
RateLimit Status Description
RateLimit-Limit The maximum number of requests you're
permitted to make.
RateLimit-Remaining The number of requests remaining in the
current rate limit window.
RateLimit-Reset The time at which the current rate limit
window resets in UTC epoch seconds.
Works on All APIs 10000 per day
DeviceList 10 per minute
DeviceControl 10 per minute per device
DeviceState 10 per minute per device

No reason it would. Not what Matter is intended to do. Cloud integrations are popular because they are a cheap way to get cheap devices to masses of people, for maximum profit. No hub needed is the draw. Just connect to WiFi and use the app. Everyone can understand that, no experience needed. And it draws in those that want Alexa and Google Home voice control.

The fact that it doesn’t work well all the time is not their concern. The cash in your wallet is what they care most about. Consumers for those companies are just a necessary evil that is getting in the way of soaking up cash. And bonus, they can sell your personal data while they’re at it!

1 Like

There is a chance it may. My reading of how Matter will work, it will be essentially a game of hide the hub. The hub part, "Matter Controller" will be a shared role in many key devices from different manufacturers. i.e. Nest Hub Max, Apple Homepod, Apple TV, Echo Show. Even a Samsung fridge is going to be a controller according to Samsung. So I think the idea is to have local controllers in your house, but one that users don't have to think too much about.

Looking at how the provisioning is to work, the local controllers will provision using your preferred app, and other controllers will be able to access the device immediately. That implies that there won't be a separate cloud integration connection for each provider, meaning they can talk with the device over the Wifi via IP locally. Hence my hope that Matter essentially provides the avenue for an "easy" to implement local API for wifi devices like Govee.

Edit: One key point i think is that there won't be a single hub like happens now, but instead it looks like the controllers will share / mesh with each other in the system. So you'll be able to have more than one controller from multiple companies mixed together.

Thanks for the driver. I am using this with a Govee RGB IC string light, H7020. I can use Hubitat to turn ON, and OFF the Govee string light and I can set the Hue of all the lights to the same color with this driver, but do you know if there is a way to access my "Saved Colors" that I setup on the Govee App for these string lights, via Hubitat?

I am using Pixelblaze for LED strips (similar idea) where I can call the different patterns/scenes/colors that are saved to the controller with a scene controller switch.

Thanks!

If it is a single color just set the strip to the color and then save it in govee as a scene. You may need to do a refresh to get tbe color pulled dow. Into the device on hibitat. If it is a ic strip and you have multiple colors on the strip at one time that is only avaliable through goove's app connected through bluetooth.

Just a fyi. It appears with the new rate limits we need to be very aware of how frequently we pool for current state of the goove light devices if they are retrieveable.

I had the Home Assistant plugin running and it's default polling was every 10 seconds. With just 3 devices that was enough to kill everything for the day by early morning.

I have now set it to 120 seconds and will find out tomorrow of that leaves enough requests to let it function normally. This has been confirmed by several others in the Home Assistant forums.

Thanks. Yeah that's a bummer. I can use Wifi on my phone (with bluetooth off) to access the IC but I guess it is just stored in the controller and isn't accessible via Hubitat.

There is hope. Supposedly goove is considering a local api and has talked allot in the past about enabling more through there api. Just have to wait and see if it happens.

1 Like

Works with Glide Hexa Light Panels H6061

If I’m reading correctly neither of the two drivers discussed here handle Govee fan items, right?

Unfortunately probably not. Govee for whatever reason has kept the API to only light strips and their plugs. I have asked on their forums to add other devices as well, but as of now they have not.

1 Like

Thought I would post a link to my new Integration for everyone on this thread. You can look it over at this thread.

Govee Integration for Govee Light, Switches, Plug, and now Appliances - :gear: Custom Apps and Drivers / Custom Apps - Hubitat

This is setup to streamline the install so all you need is your api key and then the rest is just clicking no more model number or, or device id's to figure out. It includes polling, and enables new devices with the Govee 2.0 api documentation.

3 Likes

How do you go about getting the Govee API?

I have immersion lighting with light bars and 2 sets of led strip linked to it via "Dreamview" or whatever they call it in app. I'd like to be able to control just on/off of everything via hubitat.

Check out this updated integration app and driver: Govee Integration for Govee Light, Switches, Plug, and now Appliances

Here is his instructions for getting the API key:
You also need to use the Govee Home app on your phone and request a Govee API Key from the help section of the app.

i assume OP means orignal poster? i used that one but it doesn't seem to be polling. is there something more i need to edit?

The one I just posted a link to, from @mavrrick58, has built in polling, I think you set it on the App.

If you are using one of the other drivers on the forum, some do not poll, you have to schedule it with RM. I highly recommend the one I just posted, here is the link again. If you have issues with it, reply on that thread for help.