Hubigraphs Alternative

We donā€™t even know what their sales figures areā€¦

Edit: Iā€™m not defending the UI, itā€™s clunky no doubt. Even Bruce freely admits that :rofl:. Just saying (again), user opinions on their business strategy (e.g. ā€œyou could sell more hubs if you would justā€¦ā€) by definition arenā€™t well-informed ones.

3 Likes

As a "retirement job" for some of the founders, maybe they don't WANT it to grow past the point a small team can support - and all of the headaches that involves? Who knows?

7 Likes

How does a potential customer even know what the UI is before they purchase?

Now, if they buy it and they hate the UI they could return it, and this is certainly something we keep a close eye on. But I'm failing to see the connection between an unseen "appealing and sexy product" and sales.

@JasonJoel It's not a retirement job at all for everyone who is employed by the company. Besides, who in their right mind would want a 7 day a week "retirement" job?

8 Likes

So much to unpack but I will answer shortly. This is not an attack but rather feedback for you guys to think about it.

How customers even know how the UI and UX is before the purchase? customers reviews, product dives through industry experts, etc. Long gone are the times that a product is bought by a customer without him carrying a research online about a product!

You are failing the connection between UI/UX and sales? Really? I honestly don't believe that. Please do some research on it there is endless papers, case studies, etc on this area. Just leave you an example Microsoft through A/B testing discovered that applying a certain blue Hue would generate over $80 million on extra revenue.
I also leave you with an example of a study for the impact of UI/UX on sales.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/347443354_UIUX_impacts_on_product_sales

Yes of course, my apologies.

To be fair I said for 'some', not everyone. I really didn't mean that in a disparaging way - so I apologize if it came across as such. If it did, then that was a poor choice of words on my part.

5 Likes

No. But I think you are way over-estimating the actual impact. But what would I know?

Irrespective, we are doing our best. It's not as easy to redo the UI as it is to say we should.

10 Likes

On a personal note I understand the concerns about the ui, oh well, that subject has been beaten to death and you've explained it enough. I think you guys are doing a farking fantastic job. I think those of us who understand how this stuff works, agree. Most of us are here for the long haul. While you will lose an occasional user, you will hold most, and continue to gain more. You should tease us with possible future hardware advancements though :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I think that is a good point. I only started my HA journey in the last 3 years or so with my Philips Hue lighting, quickly followed by me HE C-4. The three things that struck me the most with Hubitat were:

• The ability to customise an off-the-shelf product to the extent that we can, whether it be the openness of defining rules in such a detailed way or writing drivers and sharing them amongst the Community
  • The strong and, importantly, supportive Community. While this is the first major online forum I have actively participated in, I have enjoyed it immensely, both in helping others and the assistance I have received.
  • The level of access to Hubitat staff at various levels on a range of topics

I know this sounds like a sales / marketing pitch, but I'm sure new customers are unlikely to be reading 48 posts into a relatively obscure topic. This is more an affirmation of what I have enjoyed the most over the last 3 years.

While I can't comment with any authority on alternatives to Hubitat, my feeling is it is unlikely there is one that ticks at least the three boxes I came up with, which I have been most impressed with so far.

In the end it is not a case of right or wrong, but what matters most to the individual. If HE no longer ticked the boxes Thomas had in his list, that is completely fine, and nothing to criticise him for, not that I think anyone has throughout this thread. Like @rlithgow1 said, you win some, you lose some.... And HE appear to be winning quite a few and working towards winning more...

4 Likes

I'd also add that I think HA in general is, at the moment, something that requires a mixture of technologies and platforms merged together to provide a complete solution. One platform is not enough right now. HE provides the ability to bring many of those together, along with additional features, but it can't do it all, no system can as an off-the-shelf offering. HA more broadly is something that requires users to bring together a range of technologies and systems and contribute to them working cohesively. HE helps in many aspects of this and is continuing to expand this, but there is always more that we as users want and see available in other platforms.

1 Like

I want to make a case for the difference between ideas (what I would put under Computer Science) and more controlled systems development (what I would consider Software Engineering), but I can't think of a good way to articulate it...

1 Like

Not sure if it's me who is overestimating or if it's you that is downplaying it's importance.
In the end it will depend who is your target customer , it's only the power user or every home that requires more advanced automation?

Anyway I give you that is not easy to change UI/UX as it was not something that HE gave importance from the beginning and that at this point might require a major overhaul, I do not know how your systems are stitch together, however is my strong believe that at some points you will need to embrace it.

I do believe that at least you guys should carry a market study outside of the hubitat community on the potential new customers to feel their pulse.

As always best of luck.

How do you know they havenā€™t done this? Or considered doing it and decided it wouldnā€™t be helpful based on other details of their business plan that none of us are privy to?

Last time Iā€™ll say this, I swear (in this thread at least :slightly_smiling_face:). Uninformed opinions arenā€™t particularly helpful, and if one is not sitting in on company staff meetings, then oneā€™s opinion on business strategies is uninformed. Even if one happens to be the worldā€™s leading expert in IoT product marketing.

2 Likes

If they have done good for them.
However none of the answers through the years were towards that approach.

What I mentioned was a suggestion and is upon them to take or leave it. However as a customer I'm providing my feedback and ANY customer feedback are always helpful and not the opposite as you postulate it.

Lastly I'm not a leading expert but have my share of years on boardrooms.

Have a nice weekend

Of course, customer feedback is valuable, but customers arenā€™t in a position to say, ā€œyour business would do better (however thatā€™s defined) if you did x, y or z.ā€ Customers know what we like or donā€™t like about a product/service, and what might make us more or less likely to use it.

But since we donā€™t know what goes on in Hubitat Incā€™s boardroom, IMHO, that means we have such a potentially huge knowledge deficit that some feedback would indeed be not valuable.

Nobody is advocating that they know what's going on Hubitat HQ meetings.

The only thing I said was that Hubitat is lacking on UI/Ux and that's my opinion as a customer. I also added that it was my opinion that with a better UI/UX most likely there would be added sales figures.

That was all I said, I did not tell them how to run their business anywhere on my comments.

It was not me who said that was not seeing how UX/UI would impact sales.
I reply to that with several general examples, not Hubitat specific as I don't know their figures. Those examples on UI/UX show that focus on Ui/Ux generate quite additional sales.
Is upon to hubitat to decide if it applies to them or not. Is not to me to force them in a direction,
Again I simply clarified that are several studies that backup what I refer to.

Again is upon them to decide.

1 Like

Do you know of any resources that explain how to do this? I've got as far as installing Grafana and influxdb on a local server. I can access both of them through a browser. I may be completely out of my element here because I have no idea where to go from here.

This was the walkthrough i used a few years ago when i first setup mine. It should work with HE as it is his code that was ported to HE.

Just make sure you use the ported app that is in the HE forums incase he links his original code in the write up.

2 Likes

There are you tube vids out there. Also you will need the hubitat driver.

3 Likes

I've been doing home automation for over 30 years. Still have some of my original BSR-X10 devices (switching Christmas lights).
I have made my living in the Telecom sector most recently in virtual 5G. Just as we now separate the control plane and the data plane, home automation of necessity and good design principles needs to have home automation and home analytics separated. Hence, on device or system for control (mission critical) while the other system for display of performance data (non mission critical). In the real world of telecom we do just that. We have separate systems for both.
Hubitat is the best home automation system I have seen yet in my 30 years of doing this. It is of and by nature a home automation system and not an analytics platform. In my world with thousands of cell sites we get an unbelievable amount of data to analyze.
So, take a lesson from the industry and keep the automation and analytics separate. Let Hubitat do the automation and get yourself a Raspberry pi, grab ELK and do your analytics on it. You will be much happier with the result.
Glenn.

5 Likes

I've never really understood the reasoning behind putting your performance analytics engine on the same box as what you're trying to monitor. You're adding overhead to the very thing you're trying to optimize. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes