HubConnect alternative for ST to Hubitat devices after Sept 30?

There are virtual switches you can configure from within the Smartthings app that use the new API. They will be cloud based so then you don't need a hub. The Edge drivers load to the hub so may not be the best if that is all you need. Node-Red can then trigger the switches easily.

1 Like

Good to know. As long as my SmartThings hub keeps working with its local virtual switches I guess I'll kick that can down the road for a while. That will give me time to migrate my physical devices over.

1 Like

I linked the Hubitat MyQ community app a couple posts up. So yes, there is an integration.

But like I and the others have said, having everything local is a lot more reliable than relying on a cloud integration. And it doesn't have to be very expensive ($25 or so) to add something like a Zooz Zen17 or a generic Zigbee relay.

1 Like

Nice! Probably a solid choice for most people.

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but I have an outlier requirement that necessitated the DIY route. My motorcycle has a custom transmitter button, so a switch input for the receiver was needed. Currently, I use Zen16 for this.

2 Likes

@mavrrick58 is right, they are located inside the SmartThings app, under "Menu->Labs->Virtual Switch". A bit obscure to find if you don't know they are there.

One difference however - the "Labs" created virtual switches do not include the "contact" capability, which is something Alexa requires when using the virtual device as an input to a routine.

The Community based Edge virtual device drivers support this capability. So if you're looking to use this virtual switch as an input from ST<->Alexa, you may want to go this route. Or just use your native HE<->Alexa connection.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried this device for the garage dry contactor? I already have the tilt sensor, so this should get me running. At $17, it's in the "ultra-cheap" category.

MHCOZY 1 Channel 5V 12V ZigBee Smart Relay Switch,Adjustable Selflock and Momentary Working Mode,Works with Philips Hue, SmartThings, Alexa, Google Home (ZigBee Hub Required)) - - Amazon.com

For sms solutions, an android phone with tasker and a payg simcard is the win. No 3rd party services.

Smartthings sms alerts was the main reason I bought a smartthings hub. Not long after, they pulled the plug on it.

/ hatred

Yup. It works.

3 Likes

If you can use HE notifications instead of SMS, you don't need a data plan on Android device.

Correct. But Iwant to be able to send texts to neighbours, friends etc, who don't have the hubitat app.

Android solution is seamless.

Costs a tenner every 3 months, I believe.

So that's where they hid them... thanks. For now I'll let the Edge switches handle the task. It was remarkably easy to install them (and create the ST routines I needed to generate SMS's). As I don't use Node Red (I use WebCoRe on HE) the IFTTT approach is good enough for now.

Mine has been humming along for over a year now. You will find it mentioned several times and pictures of my setup in @aaiyar’s thread here:

3 Likes

Thank you gentlemen. I've shied away from adding yet another machine in my automations. I guess I should finally put my Proxmox server to good use and install node red on a VM there...at least I think I can, unless I'm talking gibberish? So much to maintain, so little time

2 Likes

Yea.. that makes since. I run Node-Red on Unraid.

Does anyone have experience using Termux on Android for hosting Node-Red? I'd like to use it on my Nvidia Shield (Android TV). Termux has an Android TV approved app in the Google Play app store, so it's been it's at least qualified for Android TV.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds like a cool project... you might be able to use a docker container?

https://docs.nvidia.com/ai-enterprise/deployment-guide/dg-docker.html

https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/docker

2 Likes

Why not use hubitat's built in notifier or Pushover? You can also use Twilio for sms if you have to have SMS.

1 Like

Those are viable alternatives, but I wanted to keep using SMS (it's more convenient to deal with SMS's rather deal with app notifications when I'm in the car). I still use ST for Harmony integration (yet another thing I haven't yet migrated) so the path of least resistance was to keep using it for SMS. Only real limitation is the paltry 5 applets on free IFTTT which truly is the least I can live with, but I can make do since the price is right.

Twilio's free tier seems pretty generous and is worth keeping in mind just in case ST decides to squeeze more utility out of their product.

1 Like

Okay, one last platform question: Can node-red server run on something like a Netgear EX7300 running OpenWRT? It seems possible from quick Google search, but has anyone from this forum actually tried something like this?

So hate to say this but you should probably check over at the Node-RED forums.. they will likely have more users with that specific kind of experience maybe.

The only issues I have with trying to run NR on various "esoteric" platforms is the general lack of memory / processing power, possible unavailability of certain libraries, and lack of specific available information / patches support due to not many people running it.

I mean if you want to tinker - that's cool, I do that as well - currently running Node-RED as a HomeAssistant addon on an RPI 4 w/ssd (also Mosquitto MQTT server and other fun stuff).

If you want a more stable system for your home automation "base" then I would recommend either a docker container, vm or one of the more popular lightweight machines that can run debian/ubuntu like RPI, oDroid (or any x86 machine as well). NR will also run on Windows boxes but I prefer headless Linux or vm.

1 Like