Hub went to getting start page after error 500

I have a C7 hub with a simple setup, around 30 devices (between zwave and zigbee) and
only a few automations which are are all pico remotes handling scenes with the exception of one turning lights on and off based on sunset/sunrise.

It was working fine until this morning when it started giving me error 500 on every page.
I couldn't do anything so I unplugged the power, waited a few secinds and plugged it back.

Now it is opening as a brand new hub, straight to the getting started page.
It does have an option to restore from backup and when I click on it the last automated backup is from this morning.

Should I restore one of these backups?
And... what could cause this?
The thought of going through this again as my setup grows is scary. A device shouldn't "hard reset" itself like this.

I went ahead and restored a backup (figured that was my only move).
When I looked at the logs it is getting flooded with this error (tons of it):

dev:3272021-07-09 11:38:24.357 am errorjava.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: A problem occurred while trying to acquire a cached PreparedStatement in a background thread. Query: UPDATE DEVICE D SET D.STATE = ? WHERE D.ID = ? Parameters: [{"reportedHumidity":51,"wakeUpInterval":43200,"configVal2":10,"configVal3":10,"configVal4":10,"configVal5":15,"configVal6":3,"configVal7":4,"reportedTemp":"76.12","pendingRefresh":false}, 327] (parse)

Take and download a backup, then do a soft reset and restore the backup. This should clear up what appears to be some database corruption.

2 Likes

Sounds like something corrupted your database. Is your hub on a UPS? It should be. Do you have a backup downloaded to your computer? That’s a good idea going forward.

Regardless, here is what I would suggest:

1. Download a backup. This is just in case things go badly. Even if you restore that downloaded backup, the process of downloading and restoring a backup cleans up the database, discarding bad records.

2. Do a Soft Reset from the Diagnostic Tool at port 8081 of your hub’s IP (e.g., https://your_hub_IP:8081 ). You will need the hub’s MAC address to log in. It’s found on the sticker on the underside of your hub, but the easier way to get it is to copy it from Settings, Hub Details. The Soft Reset procedure is found here:
    Hubitat Diagnostic Tool - Hubitat Documentation

3. When the hub boots after the Soft Reset to the Getting Started page, click on the small link at the bottom to restore from backup, and restore an earlier backup than the one from this morning.

Let us know if that gets you going.

Edit: well, looks like @thebearmay was typing while I was, and we suggested the same thing. I am just more verbose and type slower than he does.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot guys.

I did that yesterday and everything was fine until now when I noticed the z-wave radio is not responding. I press the button on the switches and noting shows up in the logs. I press the on and off buttons in the device pages and nothing happens. When I press on a pico remote a see everything showing up on the logs but nothing actually happens as if the radio is turned off.

Could this be related? As for the hub be connected to an UPS yes so power outage is definitelly not the cause here.

Guess you could try disabling and re-enabling the radio from the Zwave Details page to see if it wakes it back up.

The only option I see here is to reset the radio, but it sais I will have to include all devices again.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do that. First, try rebooting (not resetting) the Z-Wave Radio. Only known way to do this is:

1. Shut hub down cleanly to red light (settings, shutdown).
  2. Power off the hub at the mains plug, not the micro USB plug into the hub, whose solder joints to the PC board are fragile and can break.
  3. Leave power off for 30 seconds, then apply power again, let hub boot. See if you can turn the Z-Wave radio on: (Settings, Z-Wave Details): Z-Wave Status drop-down should say enabled. If not, change to enabled.

Edit: @thebearmay is a faster typist than I am, and is less verbose. I am old and slow. You will know about that someday.

3 Likes

LOL, I’m getting too old to write more than I have too….

1 Like

:grinning: thanks guys, I followed both suggestions and nothing changed.

Ok. When you did the Soft Reset process:

Unsure what you mean that “everything was fine until now”.

Does this mean that the Z-Wave Radio did work for awhile, and then stopped working?

Is it possible that your hub is overheating? Sounds like you may be having a Z-Wave Radio hardware failure.

May I suggest you install @thebearmay’s Hub Info driver and look at the hub temperature?

Give it about 5 minutes to stabilize. Data returned by hub to driver isn’t good for first few minutes.

That's correct.
Z-Wave radio was working as expected after I restored the backup.
I did test a few buttons and automations and since my family room light can only be turned on through automations, the kid and wife will let me know as soon as it stop working :slight_smile:

It became unresposive this evening.

On the other hand, zigbee radio and devices (including related automations) are working 100%. Definitelly something with the radio.

I don't think the hub is overheating.
It is ambient temperature - at least to the touch.
But I will go ahead and install the suggested driver.

1 Like

It’s still possible that you’ve got a hardware failure, either the hub Z-Wave Radio, or a device on the mesh that is screwing things up.

Temperature doesn't look bad to me:

And I'm not sure if this is relevant since we are talking zwave:

Interesting thing:

I can see in the logs when my Inovelli switches (zwave 500) report power consumption.
But it doesn't show up on the logs if I turn the lights on or off through the switches (all of them).

I have a single zwave 700 switch from zoo and that one shows up in the logs when I phisically turn it on and off.

Any advice I how I can find "that device"?

Unless you have a Z-Wave sniffer or Z-Wave Toolbox device to watch Z-Wave traffic, it’s a process of elimination. Does actuation of any particular device correlate with when everything stopped working?

Might look at the Runtime Statistics tab and see if any of the devices seem to have an abnormally high Count or Total ms (it’s a long shot though)

1 Like

And... it just started to work again. Just like magic. I didn't change anything.

I will get some rest now and try your other suggestions tomorrow to see if I can figure out what is going on because chances are it is going to happen again.
I will report back tomorrow. I appreciate your help and you all have a good night,

1 Like